Author Topic: New Business Idea - Would Like Feedback  (Read 3307 times)

Baylor3217

• Bristles
New Business Idea - Would Like Feedback
« on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
Another post made me review my list of business ideas and I thought I'd throw one out there.  I've had this idea for long before everyone walked around with an iPhone / android, which only makes this idea easier to implement.

I've often thought it would be a great idea to allow people to opt in to providing demographic information for the bars / restaurants they are interested in.  I read long ago that anything that makes money has to do with food, sex or war.  Obviously a gross oversimplification, but those are the major things that make the world go.

That said, when i used to frequent bars more often, I thought it would be a great idea to know what % of people at the local bars were male vs female.  Depending on my persuasion, that would save me a trip to lame joints that night and go into more "high value target" bars or restaurants.

Now, people could opt into something like this, much like what you do when you "check in" with something like 4square that many of you may be familiar with.

Additionally, you could speed up "online dating" by creating an almost real time app to message people in your geo-vacinity and show your picture if you want, etc.  People will approach most anyone online as you soften the fear and pain of rejection and yet won't walk up and talk to someone face to face.  It's pretty amazing actually but that is human nature.  I guess if it wasn't, there'd be 15 billion people on the planet.

From the proprietor's perspective, he / she could send real time alerts to people who subscribed to this application of discounts, maybe by sex or age, etc for a period of time that night to drive additional people to their bar to liven things up.

There are obvious security concerns, etc that would have to be considered.

I know there are apps that do something similar to this, but it hasn't fully encompassed my 1/4 baked business model.  They also don't seem to take the business owner's perspective into account.

Should I take this on to Shark Tank?

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
Re: New Business Idea - Would Like Feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
I just heard about something like this for dating (apparently there's a site for heterosexuals and one for gay men). Don't remember the names, though. I'm married, so don't care other than I thought it was interesting. But, seems to be the same idea.

DebtDerp

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:45:20 PM by DebtDerp »

Kazimieras

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »
Should I take this on to Shark Tank?

They would eat you alive sadly.

Even facebook has this feature (combo of pictures with geolocation, checking in, status updates all combined with demographic information). Plus even if you had this information, the subset of companies willing to pay money for it would be very small, and those that require this data have their own programs in place that have a larger scope for the same or less of a cost than you can achieve.

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
There are several apps that do this and yea, it's sketch-tastic!

Generally speaking, men really like knowing that a place isn't a sausage-fest and women don't want to spend time with guys who think that way, bottom line. So yea, there is a market, but it doesn't work out like your hope.

One of the issues is PUA...Yes, Pick Up Arts. One of the most taught "game factors" are basic demographics. If there are more women then men, you're chances to get laid go up. Can you see where this is unhelpful? There is a huge market feeding the egos of these guys and this type of business model totally caters to them, too.

I'm not saying your intentions are to exploit women (see also: Be a DoucheBag), but I'm certain it would be use for that purpose by those with fewer scruples.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!