Author Topic: New 401k and vesting - I’m stumped  (Read 776 times)

Dictionary Time

• Stubble
New 401k and vesting - I’m stumped
« on: October 03, 2021, 05:10:55 PM »
My brothers employer is starting a 401k right now. There’s a vesting schedule. He’s been working there for five years, but does the vesting start now? Or would it be when he started employment even though the plan didn’t exist then?  I read and googled and can’t tell.

He’s also wondering about putting in more than he’s going to make in the last quarter. I think that’s a no-go. But say he’s making 10k from now until December, he can’t bring the rest of his maximum in cash, can he?

Thanks for any insight!!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
Re: New 401k and vesting - I’m stumped
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »
You're always fully vested in your own contributions. For employer contributions I'd guess they could probably write the vesting schedule so everyone starts from zero because it's a brand new plan, but they could probably write it to take prior service into account too. I'd doubt any of us could give you a definitive answer on that.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
He’s also wondering about putting in more than he’s going to make in the last quarter. I think that’s a no-go.
Correct.

But say he’s making 10k from now until December, he can’t bring the rest of his maximum in cash, can he?
Nope.

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
He should ask his employer/HR about the vesting schedule.