Author Topic: Never imagined I'd be living here without a car  (Read 2056 times)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
Never imagined I'd be living here without a car
« on: December 25, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »
I gave up my car when I moved to Chicago, but upon moving backc to Atlanta all of my friends said I would 'need' to get another car once I moved back.

I agreed I would eventually need one as public transit here really is NOT great.  I figured however that since I work from home I would 'test out' how things go the first few months and see how it goes.  I can't believe it's already been 9 months and I have no expectations of having to buy one yet.  I'm going to try to cut back on the ridesharing expenses next year but so far not bad.  I originally thought I'd have a 2-3k car by this point but after living car-less for the majority of the year I don't see this changing anytime soon.

Some of my friends still think it's a bit weird I'm living here without a car and I admit...I lived here before for many years and could never EVER have imagined not having a car here.  But now I find it freeing...a couple of my friends actually seem to admire it now and one 'seems' to be contemplating going car-less herself.  This is definitely a direct result of being on the MMM forum-I like how this site challenges you to rethink things you've always been doing perhaps just out of habit that you may be overpaying for.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Never imagined I'd be living here without a car
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »
Congrats!  As a former suburban Cobb County resident, I have to ask what part of Metro Atlanta do you live in to pull this off?  Very impressive

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
Congrats!  As a former suburban Cobb County resident, I have to ask what part of Metro Atlanta do you live in to pull this off?  Very impressive

I'm in Buckhead.

So I can walk to the grocery store, MARTA, post office, gym, even Lenox.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
Living car free to me would be a luxury, not an inconvenience - especially since the only way I'd do so is if everything near me was either (very ideally) walkable or conveniently bikeable year-round.

ThreeCarbsNoGrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
As a fellow Atlantan, this is great to read!  I’m moving from Vinings to Sandy Springs to minimize driving! People think we are crazy for going down to one car for a couple but it’s working for us.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!