Author Topic: Net worth tracking  (Read 7109 times)

Murse

• Pencil Stache
Net worth tracking
« on: November 03, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »
How is it you all track your net worth? I would like to find something I can manually enter  and can keep track of dates. What are my options? Oh and graphs, I love me some graphs.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Net worth tracking
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
lots of people use Mint but I decided that giving my user name and PW to ALL of my accounts to an unknown outfit was too risky for me.

I got thru each account and write it out.. only when the markets go up of course..;)

I just had to ask my Wife how much she has in her checking account... Hehe

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »
lots of people use Mint but I decided that giving my user name and PW to ALL of my accounts to an unknown outfit was too risky for me.

I got thru each account and write it out.. only when the markets go up of course..;)

This is my concern. I want something on a computer where I can just input data and monitor my progress, preferably with graphs. Thanks for your input

enki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:11:55 PM »
I'm interested in this as well. I've been using networthIQ for about 5 years now, to track my progress. I'm positive the site hasn't been updated in at least that length of time. I graduated to a spreadsheet in open office but my excel skills are abysmally low. I plan on tracking week to week and including income/bills, savings, etc. My goal is to have a few graphs similar to mint but much more detailed. I want to see my holdings in a stacked area graph so I can watch my stock/bond/cash ratios as well. I'm almost positive I'll have to become an excel ninja to make this happen.

Frugal D

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:23:10 PM »
Just use excel - it's easy.

List the value of all of your assets and liabilities and total them. I do "month-end reporting", but find a cadence that works for you. Excel also makes it super simple to instantly create graphs based on your data.

astvilla

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 01:15:01 AM »
Microsoft Excel is the easiest method for me. 

I have dates on the left column, and the dollar amounts for each account I have (checking, brokerages, 401ks) and I've got a total.  And then I use the line graph function to track the trend.

It's incredibly easy, and I update it every couple weeks or so.

Simple, free, accurate, nothing fancy

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 06:43:51 AM »
A lot of people have recommended Excel (or whatever spreadsheet program you like), but fair warning: you'll end up wanting to make all kinds of different graphs and gather other data once you get the spreadsheet going.  It's actually a little fun and addictive.  I've got deltas and averages and an array of SWRs (and a bunch of other things), all because I was enjoying setting it up.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 06:47:43 AM »
Microsoft Excel is the easiest method for me. 

It's incredibly easy, and I update it every couple weeks or so.

Simple, free, accurate, nothing fancy

Another Excel user here.

I use it to determine my actual AA and NW.

The asset allocation I'll recalculate every month or so when I am adding to my savings so I buy the correct ETF. I only recalculate my NW once a year unless I'm really bored. It's not changing so fast that I have to stay on top of it every week.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2015, 08:45:20 AM »
I use personal capital and the "one sheet to rule them all" spreadsheet that is stickied on the "share your badassity" section. That sheet has almost all the work done for you. Just plug in your numbers and adjust as necessary.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2015, 09:49:52 AM »
My vote is for Excel. One problem I had with using Mint or personal capital is that they report the full balance in my old 401k amounts. Since I was never fully vested so it is always reporting a higher net worth than actual. I have to go into each account manually every month to pull the real balance.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
I am a former NWIQ user and I've moved on to networthshare.com

I also use personal capital, YNAB, yodlee, and excel in some capacity.  But I like the simplicity of NW share, and the manual nature of it. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:11:52 AM by catccc »

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »
I use mint/personal capital, but I find annoying things with each of them.
So I prefer to use google drive's version of excel.
it makes for easy collaboration with my wife as we each update our individual accounts at the end of the month.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
I just use excel, i know mint is great but the concern of what if it got hacked with all my info there does prevent me from using it. Plus doing it myself in excel is more fun. I just track the numbers at the end of each month.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2015, 11:17:55 AM »
Another Excel user here. I have columns for each of my assets (except my home, which isn't counted as asset or liability) and each debt. I check balances at the end of the month and update each, then calculate a total. I've also recently added a column for what income that would provide me at a 4% SWR, which is kinda fun to watch.

My current columns are: Vanguard Rollover, Vanguard Roth, 401k, H.S.A., bank (checking/savings), online savings, Husband's 401k, MyLastJob IRA (need to consolidate into my Vanguard Rollover but haven't yet!), Car Loan (enter as a negative value), CC Debt (I check the balance on the 1st of the month and enter as a negative), TOTAL, and  $/month (4%).

I've considered Mint or Personal Capital or one of those, but I guess I'm kind of old-school.

ETA: I also have a line graph off to the side that shows progress on the total.

Jesstache

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2015, 12:05:49 PM »
Another Excel user vote here.  I have tried to use Mint and Personal Capital but got frustrated that neither one seemed to work with all (most?) of my accounts and didn't want to spend tons of time figuring out why. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
Here's mine if you want to take a look at it.  It's pretty basic, you just log in and enter figures monthly.  Summary level, so I enter 4 different retirement accounts as a single figure.

https://www.networthshare.com/portfolio/sustainablesavings

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 06:21:53 PM »

This is my concern. I want something on a computer where I can just input data and monitor my progress, preferably with graphs. Thanks for your input

You might be interested in GnuCash. I've been using it for almost four years now and have been quite happy. It's free and open source.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:03 PM »
I am sure this has been linked before but if you are into comparing how you are doing compared to others in your age group this might be decent.

http://dqydj.net/net-worth-by-age-calculator-for-the-united-states/

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
Here's mine if you want to take a look at it.  It's pretty basic, you just log in and enter figures monthly.  Summary level, so I enter 4 different retirement accounts as a single figure.

Thank you. Do you find the forums there helpful?

mbk

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »
I use mint. Its annoying to some degree, but I like looking at the trends graphs to pat myself on the back.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »

Thank you. Do you find the forums there helpful?

I visit the forums there very infrequently, primarily because there is not that much activity.  I would guess that a fair number of NWS users frequent this forum or maybe the forums at ER.org.  The forums here at MMM provide significantly more feedback.  As a simple tracking tool, though, I am a huge fan of NW share.  (and NWIQ before NWS was created.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!