Author Topic: Neighbors dog shitting in my driveway  (Read 3861 times)

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
Neighbors dog shitting in my driveway
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:19:32 PM »
So I'm going to bounce this off the forum for perspective before i knock on their door.

I live in a neighborhood that is semi-rural, it is a private dirt road, and most of the houses are on 2 or 3 acre lots.  My house is at the end of a long driveway, a couple hundred feet. Neighbors across the street have a dog that they let out into their yard unsupervised. It wanders out into the road often, and howls at the passing cars, i'm sure they must hear it.  It's sort of a "fraidy dog" that seems/is more likely to run when confronted, than bite someone.

This dog has a habit of crapping on my paved driveway a couple times a week. I'm getting kind of irked, but have not said anything to the neighbors yet.  Don't care for getting poo stuck in my clown cars' tires, nor seeing it .  A few times i have shoveled it up and tossed it onto their paved driveway apron.  Any of the other neighbors with dogs keep them behind fences, and I'm pretty sure it is not some other vagabond stray dog, continously returning to crap in my driveway.
We've seen it in the act several times, but on those occasions I had somewhere to be, so other than yelling at the dog [ so it retreated to their yard]  I didn't make the time to talk with the neighor.

Am getting kind of fed up, at the dog howling at us as we come down our driveway, often while dog is standing on our driveway, as it backs into the street. Plus the shit issue.

I'd really rather Not involve "animal control" + town enforcement. My wife has talked friendly + briefly to them in the past, and I've waved if we see them , but we haven't had any substantive conversations. I don't think they are going to stop letting the dog out into the yard by itself , based on the howling at the passing cars while its in the road, repeatedly.

My thoughts
1. - Knock on door this weekend, explain issue, ask them to keep dog in their own yard + supervised, or fence part of their yard.
2.  - Wait till the dog is howling at us as we come down the driveway, immediately pull into their yard as it retreats, and then choice # 1 [ may take a few days for my schedule and the dogs bowel movement to coincide - haha ]
3.-  Ask them to check my driveway each day, and clean it themselves, it's their mess, right ?

4. -   If ideas 1,2 or 3 don't work, or they are belligerent, wait halfway up the driveway with my slingshot, and beam it with a marble [ although i generally like animals, we have pets, and causing animals pain seems wrong, - but is often effective. ]
5. -  If ideas 1,2 or 3 don't work , call animal control , but i probably can't catch the dog without lasso-ing it, so its likely to retreat back into their yard, since animal control HQ is 30minutes + away.  And I can't see as they'll look kindly on having a visit from the county.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Neighbors dog shitting in my driveway
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:27:01 PM »
No suggestions, I had the same issue last year.  And I may have it again now that the snow is gone.  These people let their dog run loose even though when they first moved in I went over and told them a dog and a cat had been run over on our street  not 100 meters from their driveway.  The dog still runs loose.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »
Slingshot doesn't sound like a good idea.  You could hit it in the eye.

I wouldn't care for dog shit in my driveway, but I think I would prefer that over hearing my neighbor's dog barking.

ApacheStache

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
As frustrating as this situation is, I would highly recommend remaining civil and speaking to them first. If you retaliate or do something passive aggressive — as satisfying as it might temporarily feel — the situation is likely to will escalate into something much bigger than it currently is.  I honestly can't think of a time in my life where retaliation solved or de-escalated an issue.

With that said, it would suck if your relationship with your neighbors turned sour because of something like this. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems like you and your wife have had mostly pleasant interactions with them so give them the benefit of the doubt before you apply the scorched-earth policy. As cliché as it sounds "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." It's possible that your neighbors are awesome people who just so happen to be complete f**king airheads or have become so accustomed to their dog that they don't even realize it's annoying to others.

Also, I think it's probably safe to say that the dog isn't intentionally disrespecting your property. I'm sure he/she only does it out of habit at this point and not to upset you. I don't think it's fair for the dog to endure physical injury just because its owner are doing a poor job supervising.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:25:24 PM by ApacheStache »

TheWryLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
Dogs don't poop where they eat, so sprinkle some dog food on your driveway, ideally just prior to pooping time.

Try tossing dog treats from your car when you see it/pass by it, and it may stop howling at you.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:08:06 PM »
You could shit in their driveway. 

I can think of other things to do that also generally end up with someone or something dead.  But I won't advise that.

A fence - particularly an electric fence - is generally good at keeping desired animals in, and undesired animals out.

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 04:18:41 AM »
Does your town have a leash law?  Perhaps your neighbors are unaware that such a thing exists, and may appreciate your mentioning this when you chat with them.  Then again, they could be like my neighbors who are just self centered and lazy bcause letting their dog out to do their business and roam the neighborhood is easier FOR THEM so they don't have to take the dog out for a walk.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »
Assume that the only reason they haven't solved this is because they don't know that it's happening and they are reasonable people who will be reasonable (in the first instance).

A super-soaker will discourage the dog without causing it pain or risking injury.

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:34:38 AM »
Assume that the only reason they haven't solved this is because they don't know that it's happening and they are reasonable people who will be reasonable (in the first instance).

A super-soaker will discourage the dog without causing it pain or risking injury.

A great place to start... assume the best of your neighbors and go from there. A nice, "let's solve this problem" attitude will get a better response. If your talk is you unloading this problem that has been bugging you for a while they will get defensive, it's a natural reaction.

Super soaker is a good idea too. I think it's perfectly reasonable as an irritating deterrent vs a painful one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »
I think just having a friendly conversation with the neighbours is the right start to solving this problem.  Matter of factly state that you're regularly seeing the dog on your property barking at you, and that it's pooping on your driveway and ask that they keep the dog on their property.  Leash, fence, electric fence, there are many ways they can do this.

At this point you have to give them a couple weeks to fix the problem on their own.  If they do (or at least seem to be making a reasonable effort), good.  Problem solved.  If they don't, I'd wait until the animal is on your property again and then lure it with some food into a vehicle and take it to animal control.  I'd keep doing this until the problem resolves.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »
I would try to do everything in my power not to alienate neighbors. I think a friendly conversation that assumes they don't know and don't offer any solutions - just ask them what they think they can do?

Then, can you try to research "smells that repel dogs"? I think chili powder, vinegar, etc. may be repellents that can be mixed with water and you can spray all over your driveway and elsewhere where the dog has gone on your property. You can try some preventive measures on your part.

If both fail, then, yes, you can escalate matters if needed.

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »

As cliché as it sounds "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." It's possible that your neighbors are awesome people who just so happen to be complete f**king airheads or have become so accustomed to their dog that they don't even realize it's annoying to others.

Wise words there ApacheStache, I'm going to print that and put it on my wall.    My dear old mum used to live in a cottage in England, outside the cottage was a public footpath called the Pennine Way, lots of hikers used the pathway.

But my mum had 3 dogs that roamed around outside and they used to pin the hikers up against the wall barking at them.  This happened everyday and every time a hiker went past for about 10 years!

My mum would just say to the hikers "it's OK they don't bite"    lol...  come on mum the hikers don't know that! 

Also I had a next door neighbour who had this yappy little dog, that dog stood on her back porch and yapped it's stupid little bark off for hours and hours at a time and when I talked to the neighbour about it, she'd say "oh Bobby is such a good guard dog" guarding against fresh air!  Then pick it up and bring it's snappy little self over to see me at the fence.... then the dog would shit it's self literally just auto load turds out of it's a**!

Until the day it died! 

Neither her nor my mum really did it from malice, but it would have been really hard to get them to change too.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
sprinkle pepper & or chilli powder where its pooping every day for a while, I have done this to get rid of a dog in the past and it worked - took a few weeks.   or put a sprinkler on at that time of day if the driveway is next to a grassed area. 

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
This looks fun:

Hydro Critter Blaster Animal Sprinkler Repeller Scarecrow Motion Activated Solar Powered

https://www.homedepot.com/p/308642137

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lefty

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 07:39:32 PM »

You could shit in their driveway. 

This is what I did when I had that problem a few years back. Never had a problem after that.