Author Topic: Neighborhood advice for a Mustachian DC family  (Read 3805 times)

Hamilton09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Neighborhood advice for a Mustachian DC family
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:54 AM »
We are a young family new to the DC area and are looking for ideas for a Mustachian-style neighborhood to settle down in (walk-able/bike-able; housing costs low enough to allow continued saving for FI; decent public transit/bike commute to downtown DC; good neighbors; decent public school). We have 2 kids and may have another, so ideas geared toward family life (rather than folks just out of school who have more housing flexibility) would be most appreciated.

HappyHoya

• Stubble
Re: Neighborhood advice for a Mustachian DC family
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
Welcome to DC!

I don't have kids, so I'll let people with direct experience answer your question. I hope you like it here!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
I wouldn't get my hopes up.  We ended up some 50 miles away in Maryland.  :(

(In a past life, of course.)

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 08:58:41 PM »
Move to Baltimore, most specifically, the Catonsville area. It is what you described. Except for not being DC adjacent.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
I live in a very un-mustachian area of DC, so I'm not the best for giving advice of this nature.  I would absolutely ask this question on popville.com.  There are many family-friendly parts of the District, but I don't really know them enough to advise. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »
I live in
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:26:58 PM by mozar »

Hamilton09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »
OP here - thank you all.  I am originally from Catonsville - that's a bit too long of a commute for me. I will check out Greenbelt and Hyattsville - any other suggestions welcome!

Leanthree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
South Arlington

Tig_

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
I grew up in the area. 

I'd second the Greenbelt and Hyattsville recommendations and also toss in Silver Spring.  More $$$, but it's where a lot of my friends moved as young professionals so there are some affordable spots a little bus ride from the metro/central walkability spaces.  Specifically explore the Silver Spring/Langley Park or Adelphi boundary for affordability.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
Check out the Woodmoor neighborhood and other areas of Silver Spring. Walkable, mostly bike rideable, bus and metro access pretty good, schools are good, family friendly, downtown is pretty good (not much nightlife, but for families this isn't really a factor). Real estate isn't too sky high. Downtown is constantly improving. Farmers market and csa. Takoma park sensibilities at somewhat lower cost

I am am extremely partial to my neighborhood for many reasons. Neighborhood school for 3-5, walkable to the high school, grocery store, a couple restaurants, cvs, bank, ice cream, parks, McDonald's, pizza, etc.  short distance to downtown and bus/metro. Excellent neighbors. A few houses for under 400k. Bike ride or walakBle to the ymca, public pool. Downtown, library white oak shopping center, trader jones, etc. etc.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
I second Woodmoor. I went to Blair. Good high school.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 10:06:56 PM »
I'll second Silver Spring as a great option and popville as an excellent resource. If you can get your kids into the right charter, Brookland/Edgewood is also a great option and has the added benefit of being short bike ride down the MBT to the eastern part of downtown. Welcome to DC!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »
If you're a little bit adventurous and truly mustachian, check out the EYA offering at Westside at Shady Grove, but you have to apply quickly to enter the lottery.  A few very lucky people will get about a $150k break on new rowhomes built within walking distance to metro.  Need to sign up before Nov 2 and you'll need to qualify based on income.  My neighborhood did this and it is great.  This neighborhood is going to be developed very nicely and industrial uses will gentrify within 10-15 years.  You will stand to make a very tidy profit.