Author Topic: Negotiating salary with potential job offer  (Read 21618 times)

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
Re: Negotiating salary with potential job offer
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Update: the position became open again and our son was contacted! They asked if he was still interested and he received an offer for 73k+. They decided they would work around his officer training and that it would be relevant job experience. He's on cloud nine.  He's also eligible for their investment program from the day of hire and he's going to max out from the beginning. :) We are so excited for him!

Great news! Time to start building a career, not just working some job. Good for him!

Scanned through the posts above, and I disagree with some, agree with others.

Salary is a negotiation. Employer(s) know how much they can afford, and they will try and get the best employee possible within their budget, or may extend the budget slightly if someone comes in offering more than they expect and they have value for those skills.

Never lie about prior salary. A background check will verify prior salary, title, employer, dates, etc. Don't bring it up without them asking, but lying is not a good idea.

In this world, you get what you pay for. So if an employer is willing to low ball you, it speaks volumes about their integrity... but also about your negotiating power. You can always say no and force their hand. It's their right to pay whatever they want, and your right to accept/decline if it doesn't meet your expectations. Free market at its best...

Good luck to your son! Big jump in pay will have him riding the clouds for a while until he's ready for the next jump in a few years.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
Re: Negotiating salary with potential job offer
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
I appreciate the congratulations and input.

Rmendpara, I agree with you about not lying regarding prior salary, or anything for that matter. I have a feeling the next "jump" will be sooner than a few years. He will have some additional credentials in the next year unless that has already been factored in.

It's so exciting, and such a relief, when you see your kids launch. And when you see them take your savings/investing advice!

Still, I would really like to know what happened with the original person that was hired and what led to them changing their mind re: his upcoming 8-9 months of military training.