Author Topic: Negotiating salary for new job offer  (Read 6173 times)

hhihe730

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Negotiating salary for new job offer
« on: June 11, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I am currently negotiating salary and hours. I was offered the position at the same pay scale I was making before. How do I go about asking for an increase in salary without offending and blowing my chances? I really want this job as it will get me closer to family and friends, be less hours, and less stressful than my current position. However, it's a 10k per year pay cut which bothers me... I can provide more details about the offer if needed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:15:20 AM by hhehe45 »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Negotiating salary for new job offer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
Assuming you are happy with your current salary, just ask them to match it.

"Hi, thanks for the offer, my currently salary is $XXX.XXX. Can you match this?"

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »
Sounds like they're trying to take advantage of you if they're posting the same job with a starting salary of $5k more. I would ask for (at least) the 10k more you make at your current job. Of course they can always say no nevermind then, so I guess you'll have to think about whether you really want the job even at the lower salary.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 06:11:04 AM »
I would be loath to take a pay cut for any job remotely similar.

$, Euro, yen, are just sincere expressions of how much you are appreciated by your employer.

Do your extra years of experience count for nothing?

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
Don't take a pay cut. And you won't "blow your chances" by asking for the 10k. I'd probably ask for $20k if i were you, but i'm not sure what field you are in, base pay, etc. Especially in a race to FIRE, taking a paycut of any kind seems like a bad idea.

If you believe you are worth 10k (or 20k!) to the employer, you should ask for it, negotiate for it, and then get it. Companies have more money than you think, and depending on the hiring manager, there may be a personal incentive for them to get you in 10k lower. Fight for it! Everyone is always worried that the employer will back out of their job offer, but i have never had this happen or even heard of it happening in real life. Negotiating your salary is important, you should at LEAST be getting what you think you are worth!

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
Good employees value themselves.  Asking for what you are worth will not be seen as a negative.  Rather, some potential employers even look favorably on people who negotiate appropriately.  It shows initiative, confidence, and that you have an understanding of the value you expect to bring to the company.  Compare that to someone who interviews and then just jumps at the first offer thrown at them... it shows lack of confidence and initiative.  No person in the history of ever has ever lost a reasonable job offer because they came back with a higher salary request.

That said, you need to know how to 'negotiate' correctly.  It isn't some high stakes game of chicken, and that's what people get wrong (and that's why people are scared to play).  Simply know your market value, know what you need to take the job, and have a few arguments or pieces of evidence that show you are worth what you are asking.  After that it's not a game.  Simply say something along the lines of:

"I'm very excited to receive the offer and would love to come work with you and your company but you should know I am looking for a salary approximately $25k/year higher than what you quoted.  Given the role you are offering and the value I plan to bring to the company, I feel that's a very reasonable request given my experience, my current salary, and what is available to people of my level of experience."

The only time you can effectively negotiate a higher salary is now, right before you accept the offer.  Once you sign, it becomes very hard to push for raises that exceed the corporate schedule.

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
Agree with everyone else. If you are worth 10k more than they are offering you need to ask them for it. If they are posting the same job for 5k more than they offered you that means they probably will be willing to pay 10k more. And you have been gone several years. I'd imagine you have more skills and experience so you should be worth more. Most places offer as low as they think they can. I would bet they are trying to take advantage of the fact they know what you used to make. Most places will give in when you call them on short changing you. After all if they are not prepared to pay your market value they are not prepared to be in the market. And then you may want to reconsider going back.

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Just ask for what you think you are worth (and the job is worth to you).

No harm will come for asking. Like Scortius, said, just go about it professionally and be polite. If you have concrete examples of how you added value to your current company, provide them. For example, "I developed a new test method to eliminate a whole system test, saving my current employer $80,000/year." Worst thing that will happen is they say no.

I asked one of my previous employers for a $5k bump before accepting their offer. It was a similar situation, I was taking a $15k pay cut to change jobs. They declined stating their policy is to never negotiate salaries. I ended up taking the job, long story for another time.

For my current employer, my first interview was with the HR woman. She told me the salary for the job would be $X. I told her I need at least $Y to consider it. After two more interviews, I received an offer for $Y+$5k. I was a happy camper.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »
Don't ask them to match your current salary, ask for more.  $10K is less than $200/week, they have the money to pay you what you're worth.  We assume we'll have to pay people at least 20% more to switch jobs and work for us and fully expect people to ask for that.  Frankly I'd question the intelligence of anyone who didn't.

Knowing that they offered you what you were making is an invitation to negotiate.  Would you never have received a raise in 7 years there?  Calculate a 3% raise for 7 years from your old salary and that should be the absolute minimum you'd accept.  I'd start with your current salary plus 20% and see what they say.

Remember, it's business.  You get what you negotiate, not what you deserve.

plog

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
Which would be better?

Come one, you know how to evaluate this. 

What would insurance cost you if not going through your employer?  What will it cost you going through your employer? 

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 02:12:02 PM »
They went up $5k-I asked for $65k and they came back at $60. They said my peers are making that so that's only fair. However, they said at that rate I have to choose: $57k per year with $3k per year towards insurance or $60k per year but no with no health insurance coverage. Which would be better?

$60K with the $3K towards health insurance and that would be the lowest I would consider.  If $65K is your current salary and you have medical benefits now, tell them you can't take a pay cut that big and give up benefits.  I would stand pat at $65k plus the benefits, personally.

I know you really want the job, but you're getting lowballed.  What do your peers' salaries have to do with yours?  If one of them gets a raise in a month, do you get one too?  That's a BS tactic to make you feel bad and take a low offer.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
Do you need health insurance or can get it through your spouse?

Tread carefully here - it sounds like you REALLY want the job and don't want to lose the opportunity over a few $k.

I really want this job as it will get me closer to family and friends, be less hours, and less stressful than my current position.

Yeah, it is such a great job that OP already left it once.  And nobody is going to pull an offer off the table over a few grand, the worst that will happen is that they will say no.  I'm also willing to bet this isn't the only employer closer to family and friends.

I stand by my opinion that they are lowballing the OP.  $55K with a 2% raise for 7 years is $63,200.  Do the math!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:51:42 PM by nobody123 »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »
Why not work for 20% less?   That's what the same salary years later implies.

....I also saw they had a posting for the position online for 5k more than what I was offered, but I didn't want to mention to them that I saw that.

Why the !@#$ not.   Getting lowballed is the first screwing you'll get, not the last.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
No spouse so that's not an option.

I do want the position mostly to have my support system back and get away from where I am now but the cuts in pay and benefits are really adding up. I just don't know how to go about it tactfully. I agree with the previous poster that said negotiations need to be made now instead of later so I'm trying to be smart about it.

"Given the positive experience I had working for XYZ from 2006 - 2010, I know this is where I would like to continue my career.  The <job title> postion was posted for $60K on <online place> on <date you saw it>, so I believe my salary and benefits request of $65,000 plus $3000 medical benefit is reasonable given my level of experience, skills I bring to the table, and your knowledge of my work habits.  Also, my research shows that it is in line with current industry salaries.  If we can agree to these terms, I can start on <date>.  Thank you for your consideration."

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 01:26:50 AM »
Thanks for the update. Experience negotiating a salary is a good skill to have.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »
They came up $7k from the original offer. I'm going to accept the position. I'm happy even though it's less than my current rate. Thank you all so much for your advice. I probably wouldn't have pushed this any further than the original offer without your guidance. :)

Congrats!  This shows there's a way to ask for more without blowing/declining the original offer.  I was lucky to have one of my long-time friends/co-workers in HR the one time I had to do this and she guided me through the process knowing all the players.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 05:46:22 AM »
Congrats !

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!