Author Topic: Negotiating prices when buying electronics  (Read 3124 times)

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Negotiating prices when buying electronics
« on: January 21, 2015, 05:12:15 AM »
Dear folks,

I'm going to buy a laptop online which has been on display in a shop where customers were allowed to use it and try its functionality. It is about $600 (new and unused it would be about $750). The seller offers the model twice. I just send him a message if he can do something about the price and drop it a little. Now I'm curiously waiting for his reply.

So I was wondering: are you doing the same? What are your best strategies when negotiating prices? How often are you doing it? Do you only negotiate stuff beyond a certain amount of dollars? What has been your greatest negotiating success so far?

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Negotiating prices when buying electronics
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
I'm curious to see how this works out, as I've never tried to negotiate online before - only in person.  Some times I just ask "what can we do to lower the price."  For something like a laptop, you might lower the price by committing to it, i.e. agreeing to "no return" for the lower price.  This takes some risk off the table for the seller, and I've had good success with it.
When dealing in person, offering cash-in-hand is also a powerful negotiating tool.

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »
ha, the guy just replied and offered $40 discount! yeah!

but i think the sale wont go via ebay, so it's basically just avoiding the ebay fees and the seller will still get the anticipated amount of money...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:25:29 AM by schoenbauer »

Homey The Clown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
Don't ask for a discount, offer a price. That always works better when negotiating. If you ask for a generic discount, the seller may offer one, but it will never be his/her best price.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:26 AM »
Don't ask for a discount, offer a price. That always works better when negotiating. If you ask for a generic discount, the seller may offer one, but it will never be his/her best price.

I'd say the opposite - ask them to name a price first, then negotiate it lower.  If you offer a price first and they take it or negotiate up, they may have been willing to go lower.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 11:51:46 AM »

I'd say the opposite - ask them to name a price first, then negotiate it lower.  If you offer a price first and they take it or negotiate up, they may have been willing to go lower.

Totally agree. Also, it gives you an idea of where their negotiating range is, which may be much wider or much more narrow than you might have expected.

schoenbauer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
thanks for your thoughts. in general i'd rather agree with arebelspy. anyhow, the deal is made and im happy that i "dared" to ask. was my first time negotiating something in this price range :P