Author Topic: Negotiating layoff  (Read 3485 times)

Ista

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Negotiating layoff
« on: April 02, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
I mentioned in the intro thread that I've been given several months (almost to the end of the year, but not quite) notice that I'm being reorged out of my job. During these months, I'm going to be working on a major project with a specific end date, a project that will likely help me get other work (since I have a good amount of FU money, but I'm not set for ER) if I stay until the end.  However, it is also a major enough job that it is likely to impact how much time/energy I can put into a job hunt.

The company has offered six months severance and six months of outplacement services plus pension contribution. I do want to negotiate the payment of most of the severance in 2015 so it can go into my 401K as I may not have access to that again soon.

Before I go back with the points I want to iron out, does anyone have any advice on negotiating in a situation like this and what else I might want to be considering?  Appreciate any thoughts--

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Negotiating layoff
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
Aside that you absolutely, most definitely should get all the terms in writing? Can't really think of anything else.

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
A blogger by the name of Financial Samurai has an e-book on how to "Engineer your Layoff", perhaps there's some good advice there.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 04:49:16 AM »
You're thinking about everything correctly.

It is rare you can specifically negotiate the layoff terms, but good luck.  It sounds like a very nice package to not work

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 05:58:36 AM »
I'd be happy with the six months severance at all.