Author Topic: Negotiating compensation/salary for a job offer?  (Read 956 times)

sizzlinkola

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Negotiating compensation/salary for a job offer?
« on: November 23, 2021, 11:52:35 PM »
I got an offer for a mid-level product manager role!

However, the range the recruiter told me would be $110k-$125k during my first round interview and I was offered $105k base salary with a $20k bonus. I don't recall if the recruiter gave the range as a base salary or total comp.

Also, the start date is in Dec 6. I have travel plans Dec 7-14 and pretty much all throughout Xmas eve until New years day. I can cancel my earlier Dec trip if I have to but I really don't want to cancel my Xmas/New years trip since it's all family I haven't seen since the pandemic started. Ideally, I'd want a start date of Jan 3 after all my travel is done.

So two questions:

• How should I ask about the salary/compensation?
  • How do I negotiate for a Jan 3 start date due to my travel plans? They'll be planned out for a while, before I even the first round.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: Negotiating compensation/salary for a job offer?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
go to askamanager.com and google for concrete suggestions. (I'd try to write you something, but not right now.)
@lhamo  may also have language for you to use.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »
For (1) check out https://fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/

This free content has a ton of templates you could use/adapt based on your circumstances.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »
Congrats on the offer! I think start date should probably be the easiest one to negotiate. A company will often put in a date two weeks out from the offer as a placeholder, but in reality if they don't have to onboard you while half the team is out of the office for the holidays and pay you for Christmas/New Year's they'll probably be just fine with that.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
Unless you accepted today, you have now bought yourself another week due to the holiday :)

What are your goals? How much compensation are you hoping for?  Have you researched salaries for the role/company/area?
Because it sounds like the recruiter mentioned 125 at the top end, and you and got exactly that!  105+20 bonus!

Do you have any other interviews / offers on the table?  Have you applied to other companies?

You can thank the recruiter for the offer, mention how impressed you are with the company, the team, the hiring manager blah blah.  Remphasize your value and excitement blah blah.  Then you can either mention other pending interviews or expected offers from competing company X, Y and Z.  Up to you how far to push this knowing that the worst-case scenario is that they pass.  But this is often the only way to maximize your offer.

Once you get closer to accepting, and the company is fully bought in, you can then mention that you still need to give your current employer 2-3 to wrap things up, which would bring you through the holidays. And suggest a start date of Jan 3.  Should be no issue.  They likely won't want to you start mid-late December anyways.

Check here for salaries for similar roles.
https://www.levels.fyi/
https://h1bdata.info

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 09:30:10 PM by bryan995 »

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Negotiating is like poker. Don't play your hand, play theirs. Get as much information as you can and be fearless.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!