Author Topic: Negotiating apartment rent and/or fees in the Boston area  (Read 1869 times)

TheGadfly

• Stubble
Negotiating apartment rent and/or fees in the Boston area
« on: January 30, 2017, 01:29:20 PM »
My wife and I are planning to move from downtown Boston to an area outside the city. The rent is about the same but the apartments are a zillion times nicer and closer to our jobs.

Anyway, we took a tour of a brand-new building approx 6 miles outside of Boston that received an occupancy permit one week ago, meaning all 200 units are 100% vacant. The building manager said the company was very eager to fill the vacancies (for obvious reasons). It's significant that the apartments are move-in ready now, because it isn't until the summer (specifically September) when demand skyrockets. These apartments WILL be filled by September but until then, the management company is operating at a loss and rents are at rock-bottom. 1 Bedrooms start at $2000 per month but will likely be $2200 or $2300 by September.

Our current lease doesn't end until July but we are playing around with the idea of subletting our current place (or re-assigning the lease altogether) so we can move now and secure a 18-24 month lease at the current low rate. Since we are model tenants with a spotless rental history, good credit and two high-paying jobs, I feel like we are in a strong position to negotiate on the price of these new apartments IF we are ready to move now.

Does anyone have experience negotiating rent prices, particularly in a tight rental market like Boston? Also, even if we can't negotiate on rent, I'm wondering if I could talk them into waiving the ridiculous parking charge ($100/mo) and pet fee ($75/mo) for a few months.

Keep in mind, this is a large management company we are dealing with, not an individual landlord. I've negotiated with individuals before with a lot of success but I'm assuming it's a different ballgame with a big company.

All sage advice is welcome

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!