Author Topic: Negotiating a Raise for a "Lateral" Move After a Recent Raise?  (Read 4068 times)

justplucky

• Stubble
I've been on the same team at work for six years. Two months ago I was promoted to the next level, the "Sr." version of the job I'd been doing since I started. My current manager asked me to apply for another role on our team that is also at the new level, which I did, and I received an offer letter today.

When I increased a level two months ago I received an ~25% raise. The offer letter offered no additional increase. My current manager (the hiring manager) said that, due to the recent raise due to the level increase, there wouldn't be an additional raise at this time. However, she'll be taking this move into account during annual review and compensation planning going into 2018.

This new role is going to require additional responsibility, including likely managing more people than I am currently managing and driving team-wide strategy. I suspect that on the open market in my industry my value is at least $10k-$20k more than I am earning right now, but I don't have a way to confirm.

"Taking this move into account during annual review and compensation planning going into 2018" seems like a general way to kick the can down the road and put me off until next April (10 months from now), and any raise at that time is likely to be the "high performer" standard raise, which wouldn't bridge the gap that much.

My three options seem to be:
- Accept it without saying anything
- Say I had been hoping an increase in compensation would be included due to the increase in responsibility
- Say I want an increase due to the increase in responsibility

Any advice regarding negotiating or even finding out a good estimate as to what actual value is?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: Negotiating a Raise for a "Lateral" Move After a Recent Raise?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:48:29 PM »
Hi.

The actual value is only found when you look for another similar job, I guess.

I think you could let them know you are disappointed, because of the increased responsibility. And tell them that other similar jobs pay this much more. You could try to negotiate a more substantial raise next April. Make sure you get the exact amount or percentage on paper/mail and don't loose it. This is what I did when I got hired for a new job and got offered a lower pay than I had hoped for. My boss forgot the deal, but I still had the email and got the money.

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:48:09 AM »
fwiw, which I doubt is much, I had a similar situation once. Had recently gotten promoted and gotten a 10% or so raise, and then moved to a new role on a new team (still same department). I tried to negotiate on salary wheb I moved roles, and eventually got them to give me a token 1k a year raise. They basically told me they didn't have much flexibility on salary and that was all they could do, which I later learned was true in that department.

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:19 AM »
I assume your company has pay grades.  If your current "Sr." position and the new position are both in the same pay grade, I wouldn't assume anything other than a token bump, because they should have just moved you into the competitive range for the position.  If you're moving up a pay grade, they should bump you up to the competitive range for that pay grade.  Unless your HR folks are total jerks, they will give you the competitive ranges for both pay grades.

If you only qualify for the token bump, ask for a mid-year review and salary adjustment.  That way you can at least pull your "high performer" 3% raise up 6 months.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!