Author Topic: Need travel advice: starting in providence airport  (Read 1564 times)

IngaB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need travel advice: starting in providence airport
« on: November 14, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

I live in Toronto Canada. My sister lives in Riga, Latvia.

She is on training in the States, in Providence RI and wants to get together on American thanksgiving weekend. This is the only free time  she has.

She cannot leave the USA, so we plan to drive from Toronto to the states to a city that is not too far from the border. We plan to fly my sister from providence to city X on November 23 and back from city X to providence on November 25.

Question: what do you recommend for the City X, not too far from the border? In other words-where in the USA should we meet?

Normally we would just drive for 10 hours from Toronto to Providence RI, but we now have a baby who cannot be sitting in a car seat that long...4-5 hours drive in each direction is our max.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
IngaB

SillyPutty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Need travel advice: starting in providence airport
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 07:21:03 PM »
I'd recommend Buffalo, New York. It's about an hour and a half drive from Toronto, and your sister could get a direct flight there from Boston (or a connecting one from Providence).

Good luck!

IngaB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 07:24:58 PM »
Thanks!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:37:06 PM »
I second Buffalo, or Niagara Falls NY.  Buffalo is a bigger city, so it has more nice restaurants, art gallery, etc. Niagara Falls is a little closer to Toronto. But either way, you should definitely take your sister to see the Falls. It would really be a shame to come all the way from Latvia, and be so close, and miss them. In November some of the tourist attractions will be closed (such as the boat that goes to the foot of the Falls), but there will be no crowds and the views from NF State Park are beautiful.

McStache

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »
Detroit could be a good option as well.  There are direct flights from Providence and I think it's 4-5 hours from Toronto.  Midtown is quite nice (lots of good places to eat) and downtown will probably be all decked out for the holidays.

IngaB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Thank you all!

I did some comparison shopping and it seems a lot cheaper to fly from Providence to Buffalo than to Detroit. So, we will meet up in Buffalo and also take my sister to Niagara Falls.

Overall, all flights seems to cost more on thanksgiving weekend, compared to "regular" weekend...

Cheers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!