Author Topic: Need to lose a minimum of ten pounds in May! Help?  (Read 10817 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Need to lose a minimum of ten pounds in May! Help?
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2020, 08:52:56 AM »
The observation about large, puffy guys in the gym is an accurate one, however.  Most guys in the gym never compete and never drop below about 12% body fat for fear of losing muscle.  Even a drop in scale weight causes some of these guys to panic and eat more.

12%?  12% body fat is ripped!  That's within the range that most pro athletes stay at.  When you dip below 10%, you usually lose a lot of strength and it's extremely hard to maintain without muscle loss.

I would not call anybody at 12% body fat 'puffy'.  :P

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2020, 11:07:18 AM »
Re: How not to Diet

I'm currently reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes, and it's pretty illuminating.  It's nothing that I haven't read before in various books over the last 15-20 years.  I am an equal opportunity reader - and I read everything from vegan to paleo when it comes to health books and recommendations. 

The one thing that I've mostly pulled from all these books over the years, especially from many doctors is "it depends".

The WFPB diet can really work wonders for a lot of people, but that tends to be people who don't have issues with carbohydrates.  Some people have problems with carbohydrates and weight gain/maintenance - and that is due to many issues, including genetics, age, and past history.  The fact of the matter is, if you happen to have issues with carbohydrates, you will have to restrict them.  Insulin resistance is a bitch.

I can happily say that so far, as a middle-aged woman, I fall in the middle camp.  I know for sure that I can't eat predominantly carbs, but I also don't have to heavily restrict them.  That is not the case for everyone.  I have plenty of carb loving, slender friends, and also a bunch of current and formerly overweight friends who will always have to watch their carb intake.

"We don't get fat because we overeat, we overeat because we get fat."

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »

- SNIP -

"We don't get fat because we overeat, we overeat because we get fat."

It makes sense to me.  I've seen it with my own eyes.  Some people can eat and eat and it doesn't stick.  There is more too it than simple calorie counting. 

There's a free movie on You Tube called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead."  The protagonist of this documentary "reboots" his body.  It's kind of a fun movie to watch and an eye opener.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2020, 12:43:10 AM »
There's a recent NOVA on PBS called "The Truth About Fat" that I found very interesting.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »
Even though it does not contribute to the OP's question, I would like to add that I always assumed  some genetic variance on weight, from anecdotal observations within my extended family.

For example, one sibling and I have inherited a lot of physical traits from my normal-to-slender sized father. We have also maintained normal weight throughout life well into middle- and old age (my dad died age 90+ without ever been overweight).
Other siblings inherited my (overweight-to-obese) mother's predominant physical traits - and have been obese (even morbidly so) all their adult lives.

Observing them, I can see distinctively different eating patterns: my father, sibling 1 and I are less "comfort-eating", we have a tendency for simple, no-fuss foods. My mother's "side" is heavily into elaborate, rich, social meals. We have all been brought up pretty much the same way, still there are those striking differences in our relationship with and preferences of food.

The question stays what is cause and effect, ofc. Still, it's interesting to see how this permeates through generations: Sibling 1 and I have married skinny men (leading to slender offspring). The other side's got together with other "big" folks, and their kids are typically obese as well ...

I have always found this quite fascinating, so I think this fits the most recent discussion here which has been beneficial for me (being a simple dieting case within "normal" weight range). So thanks again.

Still, this does not help the OP. I have no idea how to mitigate "stress-eating", unfortunately.
I just think that if stress is one of the drivers of weight-gain here, a simple "controlled eating suggestion" may not be sufficient, but add guilt to the stress ...

Edit: Just wanted to also point out that often the slim faction doesn't quite get the challenges of the overweight faction b/c for them it is typically no big deal to adjust. So I wanted to share this from the perspective of observing both sides.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:27:17 AM by SotI »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2020, 04:46:00 AM »
The observation about large, puffy guys in the gym is an accurate one, however.  Most guys in the gym never compete and never drop below about 12% body fat for fear of losing muscle.  Even a drop in scale weight causes some of these guys to panic and eat more.

12%?  12% body fat is ripped!  That's within the range that most pro athletes stay at.  When you dip below 10%, you usually lose a lot of strength and it's extremely hard to maintain without muscle loss.

I would not call anybody at 12% body fat 'puffy'.  :P

This! Here is a pic I posted last summer weighing 204 lbs sitting around 12-13%

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2020, 04:51:35 AM »
Here is 6-7% in 2014 for comparison
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/xUT4LaC

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2020, 05:23:02 AM »
definitely doesn't look "puffy" to me at 12-13%

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »
I thought I'd share my results after a month of changed habits.

I started off on April 21st at 178 lbs, and as of May 23rd I'm down to 166 lbs.

After reading the latest research on intermittent fasting, I started off by fasting from around 5pm on Sunday to 6:30am on Tuesday, and then from 5pm Thursday to 7:30am Saturday. I find Monday fasts are no problem at all. On Fridays, I find myself feeling tired by 4 or 5pm, and find it hard to concentrate on reading without dozing off. I'm ok if I watch a movie, or even just browse on the computer. I cut out snacking, and eat three meals a day. I cut out candy, but still eat a cookie or popcorn for dessert after lunch some days...other days maybe some roasted almonds.

I exercise five days a week, burning approx 650 calories per one-hour session.

For the past two weeks I decided to limit my eating to an eight-hour period on the five days a week I'm eating, so now I eat between 7am and 3pm on weekdays (I'm up at 5:40am), and roughly 7:30 - 3:30 on weekends. I don't know if that made any noticeable difference, but it can't hurt. Based on what I've read, the 16-hour no-food period is helping my metabolism.

I must say I rarely feel hungry, so this has been a fairly easy adaptation for me, and I'm feeling good.

MrsSpendyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
Hi everyone, OP here.  I appreciate all of the tips.  From my update on May 10th, I am currently down 7 pounds.  Hoping the next few days brings me close to ten pounds in a month and I can keep going a bit.  Doing lower carb and cooking most dinners from scratch rather than using boxed sauces/meals.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2020, 06:58:18 AM »
Good that it is working and sounds kind of simple versus all the differing advice we offered.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2020, 10:28:19 AM »
Hi everyone, OP here.  I appreciate all of the tips.  From my update on May 10th, I am currently down 7 pounds.  Hoping the next few days brings me close to ten pounds in a month and I can keep going a bit.  Doing lower carb and cooking most dinners from scratch rather than using boxed sauces/meals.

Excellent work! 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2020, 11:54:33 AM »
Sorry, I missed this when it started.
On 2-2, (163lbs)  I went on a Keto diet, I weighed all my food and posted it in Chronometer to keep track of Carbs, Protein and fat. By 4-2 I was down 18.5 pounds (144.4lbs) and I was never hungry. I always ate less than the recommended 2,000 calories. I have since got down to 140 and drifted off the Keto. I do want to get back on, I don't need to lose any weight. But I want the great blood cholesterol tests that came with the keto diet.

Total Cholesterol   June-19--195   Mar-20--109 
Triglycerides          June-19--397   Mar-20--82
LDL                      June-19--106   Mar-20--54 
CHOL/HDLC Ratio  June-19--5.4   Mar-20--2.8
NonHDL Chol         June-19--159   Mar-20--70
HDL                      June-19--36   Mar-20--39

If you go on Keto be sure to get enough salt, I usually had two cups of bouillon a day, I also added two tablespoons of Olive Oil to help get my fats. Watching a few of Dr Phinney's videos is worthwhile.

canadianrose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »
I suspect than a lot of the weight gain is water retention. Cut out the pressed foods for a while, the reduction in salt will help. More generally, cutting down on sugar and carbs will help, but processed foods have a lot of that, too. I don't know about you, but a lot of people ate more comfort carbs and take out during the quarantine, once they get back to normal eating habits, the weight should normalise eventually.