Author Topic: Need to buy a car  (Read 2635 times)

momo27

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need to buy a car
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »
My husband and I (along with our two young kids) don't own a car and have thoroughly loved being free of that expense for the past four years.  My husband has an opportunity to move up in his company, but the advancement will require him to commute 70 miles daily for 3-5 months for training, after which he will return to his current extremely bikeable 2.5 mile commute.  Since his schedule will vary widely during his training, carpooling and public transit are not options for him.  As much as I dread it, it seems the only feasible option is a car.  Since I've been out of the car-owning game for quite sometime, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a particular type of vehicle that would be well suited to this use.  As soon as his training is complete, this car will be sold.  We have about $10,000 available for the purchase, but I certainly wouldn't mind not tying all that up in a car.  (grumble, grumble, grumble . . . I don't like cars).

reverend

• Stubble
Re: Need to buy a car
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:03:19 AM »
I would recommend a Volvo 940 in good condition. They are bulletproof and can be had for $2000 in great condition, and when you're done you sell it for the same amount of money.

Insurance is dirt cheap, maintenance is practically non-existent and what you DO perform is cheap (timing belt, water pump etc).  I picked up a Volvo 240 last spring and kept it for three months (needed a car for the summer) and then sold it for $1500. Admittedly, I fixed a few things on it while I had it.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: Need to buy a car
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
I to would recommend spending at the lower end of your budget.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!