Author Topic: Need recommendation for bike seat for kids  (Read 2878 times)

PaulM12345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need recommendation for bike seat for kids
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm going to start biking my son to daycare one or two days a week, on the way to work. I have a trailer, but it's so big I'm thinking of doing a bike seat instead. In particular, I have about three blocks of busy traffic to navigate, and I don't feel save riding with him on the road. The trailer doesn't fit well up on the sidewalk, so I think a seat would be better.

My son is 2 and a few months and weights about 29 pounds.

So far I'm looking at the iBert, Yepp, or the Copilot. My final purchase may depend on what I can get used for cheap, but I was wondering if any mustachians have recommendations for me. In about I year, my goal is to get an xtracycle extender for my bike - they are pricey but cheaper than gas. Xtracycles accept Yepps, so I'm leaning in that direction. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

caligulala

• Stubble
Re: Need recommendation for bike seat for kids
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
We have the xtracycle and the yepp seats are pretty great. We've got two on the back and they are sturdy. The only thing with them is that it's a 3-point harness, so our skinny 11 month old needs the straps held together with a zip tie behind the seat to decrease the overall length, but that shouldn't be a problem with your 2 year old.

PaulM12345

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
Thanks! Do you have an entire xtracycle bike or did you get a free radical and add it to an existing bike? Just curious... I was going to go with the free radical add-on to my old bike, but I'm actually thinking of just splurging on a whole bike (splurging is relative, of course; the idea is to save on gas so I'm hoping it pays off over the years; whereas the cost of converting my old bike might not make it worth it...

caligulala

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
We have the whole kit and kaboodle - the Radish family. I had been riding rebuilt co-op bikes forever, so I didn't have anything that was practical to attach the free radical to. It made more sense to go for the whole thing if I was going to have to buy a new bike and then pay the bike shop to retrofit it to the free radical anyway. It's really solid and great for tooling around. You aren't going to go super fast on it, but that isn't the point, is it? The radish is more of a city bike with an upright ride and fenders and stuff, so if you do more hills or rougher terrain, hooking a free radical to a tougher bike might make more sense. That is what the owners of the shop where we bought ours did because they live on a steep hill and already had nice bikes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!