Author Topic: Need motivation for job search or something  (Read 6192 times)

rugorak

• Bristles
Need motivation for job search or something
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
So here is the short version. I am employed, have good job security, but am utterly miserable. Too much small town politics and just idiocy beyond belief. I work in IT so should have an easy time finding something somewhere (system administration specifically). My issue comes down to just loathing the process of applying for work and not really having direction. I would have to move to get a new job as I am pretty rural right now and there are no other employers in the area that are big enough to have actual sys admins for the IT systems. I do want to move anyway as I am sick of nothing much to do. I love the mountains but am quite a ways from any on the rural side and even to see a movie (not at home) takes 45 minutes to get to. Basically farmland area and not much else.

Ideal place would be bigger than where I am now (I live in a tiny hamlet 10 miles from a villages of just over 2,000 and nearest cities are 45-60 minutes away). But it wouldn't be huge (such as NYC, etc) and I love the mountains (sking/snowboarding in the winter and hiking in the summer) so not too far away from nature. But it would be nice to at least make the same or more than I am now as well since I work for a healthcare network and our wages have been stagnant for years (even before the housing bubble burst). I don't have any particular area in mind. I've been leaning towards suburbs of Boston (and even considering a listing in NH 2 hours from Boston I saw recently).

So I don't know that anyone can really help me, but any advice, etc would be welcome. I just need a bit of a kick in the ass or something. Something to recharge me after work seems to suck my soul away. I'm also not against alternatives to the typical job. I just don't have anywhere near a big enough stash as of yet and no ideas to pull off some business of my own such as suggest in the 4 hour work week (just finished reading).

Togoshiman

Re: Need motivation for job search or something
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »

nofool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:00:22 AM »
San Francisco is hiring people like crazy, particularly in IT. I can confirm it is absolutely gorgeous in CA, with the mountains a couple hours away and the bay area has tons of hiking trails. It's a big city, but not like NY big. The entire city is only 7 miles by 7 miles.

ceh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
Ultimately, you just have to force yourself to start looking and sending out job applications.  Nobody can tell you where to live, but you should think about what you want out of life.  Luckily you work in IT, so you can probably find a job almost anywhere.  If you want to focus on building up your stache, look for someplace with a low cost of living, but access to everything you want.  I lived in Nashville for a year, and I loved it.  If you love music, it's a great city.  You can also drive to some amazing outdoorsy stuff within only a couple hours.  There are tons of cities like this all over, but that is just one particular example. 

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »
I've seen that find your spot website before. But I don't understand why they want all the information they want at the end to give your results. There are no terms of service, privacy, etc. Why does my current address matter? That is the biggest reason I have never used it. I've used http://www.bestplaces.net/fybp/ before though.

I'm not a hardcore programmer. I script but far from being a software engineer. So most of what is available in the valley probably wouldn't be a fit for me. I have a friend from college who is a lawyer out there. Although with some of the apps we see I probably could do it fine. Who the hell writes a 275 line if->then statement to get the date and time in SQL when there is a time function built in? Yep actually saw that in some code in one vendors app. (The IT geeks out there will understand)

I like music but I am into metal. From what I have seen of bands I like tours Nashville isn't a hub of it. Plus a little too warm for my tastes. I am one of those freaks who likes the cold.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
Have you thought about Pittsburgh? Vibrant city, low COL, close to mountains of WV (ok, they're not the Rockies, but you can definitely go skiing & it's gorgeous), people are friendly, economy is doing great.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
I've seen that find your spot website before. But I don't understand why they want all the information they want at the end to give your results. There are no terms of service, privacy, etc. Why does my current address matter? That is the biggest reason I have never used it.

They don't do any checking, so you can put in fake info and still get the results.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:40:51 PM »
Ideal place would be bigger than where I am now (I live in a tiny hamlet 10 miles from a villages of just over 2,000 and nearest cities are 45-60 minutes away). But it wouldn't be huge (such as NYC, etc) and I love the mountains (sking/snowboarding in the winter and hiking in the summer) so not too far away from nature. But it would be nice to at least make the same or more than I am now as well since I work for a healthcare network and our wages have been stagnant for years (even before the housing bubble burst). I don't have any particular area in mind. I've been leaning towards suburbs of Boston (and even considering a listing in NH 2 hours from Boston I saw recently).

Washington state is incredible, especially the larger Seattle-metro area. You are a short drive away from nearly every type of nature and outdoor activity you could ask for. Employment options are fantastic here as well. Many medium and large sized companies to try out for. Weather here is mild, but not extreme.

I like music but I am into metal. From what I have seen of bands I like tours Nashville isn't a hub of it. Plus a little too warm for my tastes. I am one of those freaks who likes the cold.

Music scene here is great too, especially for rock and metal/hardcore. Tons of top-notch venues to see shows of all sizes, including dozens of smaller grimey basement-style venues suited for small metal/hardcore shows. Its a major market so any large tour that hits the west coast will nearly always hit Seattle.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
Narrow down your regions and only search for positions that are in those regions.  Nothing worse than having to decide whether you want the "perfect job" in a location that you're not crazy about.  My other piece of advice is to quit selling yourself short.  Be confident in your capabilities and highlight those - if you really don't think you're a great Sys Admin, then ask yourself why the hell not?  Do you not apply yourself?  Are you lazy?  Is your heart not in it? ...what gives?

Assuming you're the best damn Sys Admin you can be, make your resume shout that.  Highlight your accomplishments, not just your responsibilities.  Create a 'clean' resume with 'white space'.  Do some research on the internet, there's loads of info.  I've just been in the middle of recruiting for Jr. Project Managers and I was amazed at the crappy resumes I received (I work for a major Consulting firm, I should be seeing the best of the best!).  With all the info available on resume building, I was saddened by all the crappy ones I saw - it said to me that they didn't know how to communicate and articulate ideas.

Once you have a good resume (I'd be happy to review it), just send some out and 'fish'.  See what kind of interest you get (be sure to include that you're willing to relocate (at your expense if that's true - you can always ask for a signing bonus)).  It will help you to determine if your skill set is in demand....You're in a position now where you have a job, and so there's not a lot of pressure to find something, so you can take your time and find the right position in the regions that you've narrowed down.  Other advice - when talking to a potential employer, be clear on why you want to relocate.... we hate wishy-washy or long-winded answers!

Able was I ERE

• Stubble
    • FIREhub.eu
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »
I'm not a hardcore programmer. I script but far from being a software engineer. So most of what is available in the valley probably wouldn't be a fit for me.

With that skill-set, the current buzz word is DevOps.  Put that in your LinkedIn profile and you'll probably get multiple recruiter inquiries per week. 

PM me if you want someone to look over your resume, or are looking for insight into the Boston IT hiring market (it's hot).  I can probably even direct you at some companies that are hiring near the suburbs you're considering.

MountMitchell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
My issue comes down to just loathing the process of applying for work . . .

So I don't know that anyone can really help me, but any advice, etc would be welcome. I just need a bit of a kick in the ass or something. Something to recharge me after work seems to suck my soul away.

Your post resonated with me.  I have been an IT Contractor for 20 years.   You are reading a post from a guy who regards the job search as akin to having a root canal - only most people would rather have the root canal.   That said, I am happy to share what I have learned over 20 years.

The number one thing that has allowed me to hop from one contract to another is having a perfectly tailored resume for every job that I have applied to.  Hit them right between the eyes with what they are looking for.  It may seem childishly simple, but it has worked for me beautifully.  Remember, the job requisition was written so long before they received your resume, they have no idea what it even says.

The second thing is keeping track of all of those resumes.  A spreadsheet used to be enough, but it is no longer.  There are a lot of excellent software packages that will organize them for you.  Go to the Resumes section of download.com and find one that fits. JobTabs works for me, but you need to get one that works for you.  Tracking all the resumes means knowing what is inside them because you want to keep all of the "Word Smithing" down to a minimum.  All of the editing is one of the biggest drags on the job search and you absolutely, positively have to keep this to a minimum.  When applying to a job you have to tailor the resume that best matches the job requirements.  After about twenty resumes, you will pretty much have engineered all of the tailoring out of your job search.

The third most important point about landing a job is to apply to lots of them.  Once you have enough resumes and have enough cover letter templates, applying to jobs is a cinch.  When you get shut down or never hear back, you will not be demoralized because you have so many irons in the fire.  This is also the best way to get a raise.  When you have competing offers, this is the best time to find out what the high end of your skill set is worth.  Once you know you can get it, then it will be that much easier to ask for it again and again.

Rugorak, get out of that hokey pokey little town.  It sounds like your life is passing you by and I'll venture that it is!  :-)  Consider moving to North Carolina.  Great mountains, beaches and everything is dirt cheap!  : -)  Everyone here is Mr. Money Mustache already because there is nothing to buy!

Good luck,

MountMitchell  : -)

NestEggChick (formerly PFgal)

• Stubble
    • Nest Egg Chick
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
My guess is that when you figure out where you live and start learning more about what's there, you won't mind the job search process because you'll be so excited about moving to a fun new place. I do suggest that you keep cost of living in mind. You mentioned wanting the same salary or higher, but $70,000 in North Carolina, $70,000 in Boston, and $70,000 in San Francisco are very different things. I live near Boston. It's a fabulous city and I absolutely love it, but it's pricey. You're not going to get a 1-bedroom apartment for $500 no matter where you look. Also, you mentioned looking at NH, so just keep in mind that they have no income tax or sales tax, but they make up for it with property taxes. It's a financial dream if you're renting, but just be careful if you buy. Good luck, and please let us know where you end up!

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
I hear ya Rugorak.  Been through the same thought process.

First of all, you're doing the right thing!  Life is too short to feel stuck at a miserable job, so exploring your options is absolutely the right thing to do.  And since you're open to moving, there's a lot of adventure outside of work that will be amazing to experience as well.  Good for you for being bold enough to step out of your comfort zone in search of a more fulfilling life!

Rather than tell you where to look at moving, I have a different approach (that I've done myself).  Identify three different cities/areas that you think would be fun to live in.  Then search for the most interesting employers in all three cities and send out resumes.  Not only will you increase your odds of finding a cool job by opening up the search base, but it will also add a bit of adventure to the search. 

rugorak

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
The number one thing that has allowed me to hop from one contract to another is having a perfectly tailored resume for every job that I have applied to.  Hit them right between the eyes with what they are looking for.  It may seem childishly simple, but it has worked for me beautifully.  Remember, the job requisition was written so long before they received your resume, they have no idea what it even says.

Been doing this I was in college. Same thing in the cover letter. Works most of the time. But sometimes you get the places that want someone who has done everything before at multiple places. Which is both sad and amusing when it is a piece of technology that hasn't been around that long. Which I have had. Would have been a dream job for me too (and it happens to have been at a certain university in MMM country).

My guess is that when you figure out where you live and start learning more about what's there, you won't mind the job search process because you'll be so excited about moving to a fun new place. I do suggest that you keep cost of living in mind. You mentioned wanting the same salary or higher, but $70,000 in North Carolina, $70,000 in Boston, and $70,000 in San Francisco are very different things. I live near Boston. It's a fabulous city and I absolutely love it, but it's pricey. You're not going to get a 1-bedroom apartment for $500 no matter where you look. Also, you mentioned looking at NH, so just keep in mind that they have no income tax or sales tax, but they make up for it with property taxes. It's a financial dream if you're renting, but just be careful if you buy. Good luck, and please let us know where you end up!

If I knew where I really wanted to live I would take a chance and pick up and go and then get a job. Easier to hunt locally and I have a good enough stash to live on that for a little while. I am keeping the cost of living in mind, which is why I have turned down a few jobs in the past. Same pay as I am making now with no room to grow. Rents just about everywhere are above $500. I have a hell of a deal right now and am renting a house for just under $600. But even in the middle of nowhere most apartments want $1000 and houses $1500. So I am prepared for that.

One thing I have to consider is that I have a dog. So places that will even rent to me are much reduced. Ideally I would prefer a small house so I could have a yard for the dog. He isn't a large dog (about 25 lbs) so I don't need a huge place. But it would be preferable to just be able to let him outside rather than having to take him for a walk anytime he needs to relieve himself.

I've applied for a few jobs so far. No responses as of yet. But I also get the feeling some places just list things to fish without actually hiring. Or they just don't have a clue what they are really looking for. Such as when the listing is up for months and never taken down and never filled.

Well thanks to everyone for the comments. I'll admit I haven't had a huge surge of motivation but it has helped some. Any more are welcome as well.

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
It's really hard to get motivated for a job search. One thing that worked for me was to set 1-2 hours aside every tues and thursday to job hunt. Having a set time helps to keep you consistent and work through the inevitable disappointment you have flinging resumes.