Author Topic: Need help quitting soda  (Read 38014 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need help quitting soda
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:18 AM »
Gout? Jeez, do you live on processed cheese?   I've never heard of anyone in modern times getting gout.

You got to get on a healthy lifestyle kick now.   Fruit, salad, lean meat and hit the gym at least 3 days a week.   What's next, the black plague?

Gout's fairly common, and a lot of it has to do with genetics (and age) rather than diet. That said, diet modification can help some; foods high in purines can make it worse, but those are not what you'd think based on stereotypes (ie: dried beans are bad).

http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Gout/

stpetesean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:00 AM »
I drank 24 cans of Pepsi every day for years...quit 7 years ago cold turkey, took some advil for a week and had no other issues.  I lost 40 pounds in about 8 weeks with no other changes to my diet.  Just quit cold turkey, anyone can deal with a headache for a week or two :)

ViragoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hoarding me booty...
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 01:17:41 PM »
And for the gout I believe beer is bad, sorry.  Keep trying and if you can reduce, celebrate that win.  THen after you have gotten past that, eliminate one.  The issues that you face should scare the crap out of you.  They did me!

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
I lovelovelove Pepsi.  I drank it every day with lunch since middle school.  Finally, I decided I had to stop.  It was such a painful idea. 

I started by switching to water one day a week.  Any day, but had to be one.  Once I was comfortable with that, 2.  Kept working up until I got to pick the day I had my pepsi.  Finally just forgot about it and was drinking water all the time. 

Instead, I stocked my fridge with water kefir at home-- it self carbonates and it's a probiotic, AND it's sweet.  Triple win!  I keep that in the fridge for drinks after work.  I very occasionally have a pepsi with rum or other delicious alcohol during hot days in the summer, but a 24 pack of pepsi can now sit harmlessly in my basement for upwards of a year before it gets used up. 

If we're out for lunch at work or they bring in free lunch I will usually have a pepsi now, but I don't crave it like I used to, and I don't bring it to work with me.  And I'm not tempted to go to the vending machine.  It's firmly in the "special occasions only" list in my brain. 

warped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 02:25:50 PM »
For me, it wasn't the caffeine, it was a sweet drink. I tried cutting out the soda and replacing with caffeine pill, still had cravings.

Then cut that and tried replacing with Orange Juice. That did the trick for me, and I go through a lot less OJ than Dr. Pepper.

eljay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 05:24:03 AM »
This thread has inspired me to try cutting out diet Coke.  I drink 4 cans a day (and have done for the last 20 years). I have tried to give up before but failed due to caffeine withdrawal headaches/irritability. I don't drink tea or coffee so Coke is my only caffeine source. I am trying the caffeine pills route this time as recommended in this thread.  I have club soda in the fridge in case I crave something bubbly. I am at lunchtime on day 1 and doing fine. Will update in a few days...

Eljay

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »
Another side effect of all the soda intake -- the caffeine. Once you kick the habit, you will be far less jittery throughout the day. 
I was stunned how eliminating soda reduced my stress and anxiety.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »
Black cherry juice (available at the health food store) cured a family member of gout very quickly. After that, diet modification kept it away.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 08:25:18 AM »
Good topic!  When I stop soda, I start pounding coffee with cream and sugar.   I am trying to switch to iced tea with minimal sugar, and drink more water between meals.

Good luck!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
Good topic!  When I stop soda, I start pounding coffee with cream and sugar.   I am trying to switch to iced tea with minimal sugar, and drink more water between meals.

Good luck!

with both coffee and tea... I grew up drinking (extremely) sweetened tea and coffee.  Drinking it without is a bit of an acquired taste.  But if you do it for about a week, you'll likely never go back.

Now sweetened coffee/tea are just disgusting to me.  It's over-the-top sweet.  (I'm still a caffeine addict, but that's a different topic.)

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 09:27:17 AM »
Curious for an update. Were you able to quit?

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
Nope, still chugging soda like a fiend. Usually one mt. dew morning, one pepsi at lunch, one mt. dew afternoon then 1-2 pepsi's at night (all 12 oz. cans). It's terrible. I will say that I hope it will be easier once I have several stressful things over with. I am trying to launch a product program on my own in my failing work group so I've been working 8 AM til 7 at night, then going to my old house that I am renovating and then selling (costing me $1500 / mo sitting empty). Then driving an hour home (at midnight), collapsing and doing it all over again. Once that's done I think I can substitute exercise for the morning Mt. Dew and gradually wean (heh heh... wean) off the other sodas.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 05:40:27 PM »
How about substituting coffee?  That at least cuts out the calories if you drink/learn to drink it black.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
How about substituting coffee?  That at least cuts out the calories if you drink/learn to drink it black.

I wish I could! I've always hated coffee, and all its variants.

I drank one Mt. Dew this morning and nothing until dinner. Don't know if it had anything to do with it but felt much better this evening and got more work done on the old house. Maybe just in my head.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
^ Well done! :)

One way that might help is to set out all the cans that you will drink that day, in your fridge. (Only put that day's lot in the fridge, the rest stay out). Then you can set your number of drinks that you'll have that day. Once you go through the ones in the fridge - that's it 'til the next day.

Say you start with 5 cans in the fridge per day, and get used to the habit of putting them in each morning/last-thing-at-night. Then you can cut down to only putting 4 cans in the fridge for the day. Once you get used to only drinking those 4, then leave one can out.

It might help with your weaning :) (Assuming you buy your drinks as a carton, and don't buy random cans when you're out & about.)

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
^ Well done! :)

One way that might help is to set out all the cans that you will drink that day, in your fridge. (Only put that day's lot in the fridge, the rest stay out). Then you can set your number of drinks that you'll have that day. Once you go through the ones in the fridge - that's it 'til the next day.

Say you start with 5 cans in the fridge per day, and get used to the habit of putting them in each morning/last-thing-at-night. Then you can cut down to only putting 4 cans in the fridge for the day. Once you get used to only drinking those 4, then leave one can out.

It might help with your weaning :) (Assuming you buy your drinks as a carton, and don't buy random cans when you're out & about.)

I agree with your thoughts. I hate warm soda so maybe I just need to trick myself a bit.

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »
I know this isn't the Mustachian solution, but if your concern is really just about the sugar and not about the money, why not switch to Coke Zero / Diet Mountain Dew? It is, of course, just replacing one dependency with another, but the diet soda is going to do vastly less damage to your health than the sugared soda and my guess is it will be much, much easier for you to do than to replace the soda with something like black coffee or water. Think of it like replacing cigarettes with nicotine gum--you're still addicted, but addicted to something that isn't damaging your body. It's really hard to make several large changes all at once, and if you can do your health a tremendous solid by making a much smaller, easier change, you're going to have a much higher likelihood of sticking with the change and succeeding in losing wait/staving off diabetes.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:09 PM »
I'm not sure diet soda is much better.  I've been trying unsuccessfully to kick my diet Coke/Pepsi habit for about a year.

It is the sweetness and carbonation that I crave.  I can get the caffeine from tea, but it doesn't make me as happy.  It's like soda is my . . . friend.  When I'm feeling shitty, a soda cheers me up.  Yeah, that's addiction alright.

Good luck to you!  Only 2 or 3 in one day is a step in the right direction!

shelfins

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:25 AM »
I'm not sure diet soda is much better.  I've been trying unsuccessfully to kick my diet Coke/Pepsi habit for about a year.

It is the sweetness and carbonation that I crave.  I can get the caffeine from tea, but it doesn't make me as happy.  It's like soda is my . . . friend.  When I'm feeling shitty, a soda cheers me up.  Yeah, that's addiction alright.

Good luck to you!  Only 2 or 3 in one day is a step in the right direction!

It's certainly better than sugared soda from a weight-loss/avoiding diabetes perspective (not a financial perspective) in that it has 0 calories and is sugar-free. Making the switch from 5 regular cans of soda to 5 cans of diet soda would save Forcus about 600 calories a day; that's more than a pound a week! Yes, if it were just as easy to do, I'd suggest he switch to water instead of diet soda, but it's just a heck of lot harder. Forcus already has a lot of demands on his willpower: working and staying focused for long hours, doing a demanding side project, exercising more, improving his eating habits. If there's a path to cutting out the sugary soda that's he's more likely to stick with consistently, I'd say to go for it. Sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 11:30:05 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I might not be responding to each post but have read all of them numerous times and think about them when I think about grabbing a soda, or just need some encouragement.

Lkmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »
This is an ancient thread but I just randomly ran across it.  I used to have a bad soda habit.... Many people suggested substituting carbonated water for soda. Which was VERY helpful for me.  But here's a great link on how to carbonate your own water at home for literally pennies per bottle.  We've been doing this for almost 10 years now, and recently calculated that we've probably fizzed like 12,000 bottles, equaling a savings of somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,000. Plus saving a LOT of space in the landfill / recycling center.  FWIW.

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-build-your-own-carbonation-rig-that-adds-bubbles-1494028502

DCJrMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Geek, skater, pilot, stilter, techie, vegan
    • DC Power Stilts
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2014, 01:23:08 AM »
I used to drink too many sodas everyday, but managed to replace it first with green tea (the caffeine & sugar you need), then eventually switched over to coconut water.

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2014, 06:21:55 AM »
Stopped drinking Coke, Mountain Dew, and Root Beer in 2012. I used to love rum n cokes. Would go through a 2 liter bottle of coke per night of drinking. Got a gym membership, started eating healthier, and drinking less.

Now I weigh 52 pounds less. If I need caffeine, I drink green tea.

Rosewhipped

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »
Even though this thread is old, I will say things.   

I have a soda addiction!  Well to be fair mine is more of a fast food/frech fry, chicken nugget addiction which i then must have with Coke.  I am great about drinking water (ALWAYS take a thermos to work with me everyday) but have weird food rules, like I would never drink a soda by itself, only with food. 

I guess I would miss caffeine if i quit, but i just love how Coke tastes and how it tastes with certain things.  I LOVE fountain soda a million times more than a can of soda. 

I've found that food (fast food) is definitely the addiction I have and I eat it in secret a lot.  I always hit the drive thru.  I feel like I  do it sometimes when I'm not hungry. Sometimes I have to eat dinner twice because I went to the drive through and then have to go eat with my roommate or parents and eat some dinner too so they won't know i had fast food AGAIN. 

So my problem is my fast food addiction.  But similar sugar/horrible diet habits.  I think i got into this with a retail job i had in high school. Work 5-11 (or midnight) and have no breaks (food) and then stopped at wendy's on the way home for dinner since it was quick and hot and delicious and directly between me and my 3 minute drive home.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Thanks for the additional thoughts guys. I am on the brink of quitting soda forever and have drastically tapered. I notice how much effect sugar has on my energy levels / lags (in a negative way) and am "done". I feel like if I go another year with the amount of sugar intake I am at, I am at risk of diabetes. Unfortunately for me it takes a big realization to make things happen but at least it is happening before its too late.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the additional thoughts guys. I am on the brink of quitting soda forever and have drastically tapered. I notice how much effect sugar has on my energy levels / lags (in a negative way) and am "done". I feel like if I go another year with the amount of sugar intake I am at, I am at risk of diabetes. Unfortunately for me it takes a big realization to make things happen but at least it is happening before its too late.

Thankfully you seem to have at least some comprehension of what sugar is doing to you. It's not the caffeine you are addicted to. It's the sugar. It sounds like you need a bit of "big hits" to put you over the edge so I'll help a bit.

1) Adding 150 calories a day to a normal diet has virtually no visible effects on a healthy diet.  Adding 150 calories a day from SODA increases risk of diabetes by 700%. You were currently drinking 5-6+ can's a day (more on a bad day, less on a better day). 6 cans = over 2 liters. You were literally killing yourself. You may just not be fully aware of the scope of it.

2) One can of Mountain Dew = 170 calories and 46g sugar
    One can of Pepsi              = 150 calories and 41g sugar

2) You were/are ingesting roughly 3 of each type per day. OR (170x3)+(150x3) = 960 calories a day from 261g of SUGAR

3) A healthy American Male has room for about 37.5 extra grams of sugar in their daily diet. You're eating 7 times that. And you're not healthy, by your statement, you're borderline obese. Therefore you have NO room for additional sugars.

4) A sweetener substitute is JUST AS BAD as sugar. Your body reacts exactly the same way to it as it does to sugar. The body recognizes the sweetener (regardless of calories) as sugar, and flips the hormone switch that turns the associated sugar/carb calories (at the time, and for the next meals) into fats. Anyone telling you that a sugar substitute does vastly less harm to your body than sugar is lying to you, whether they know it or not.

5) Sugar enlists the help of hormones to light up the same regions of the brain that COCAINE stimulates. I.E, sugar is more addictive than a Class 5 narcotic. You're addicted to a drug.

6) Do you notice a roll of fat around your belly? That's from the near 1000 calories of sugar being turned into fat. It's also the most dangerous kind of fat. Belly fat is where important measurements come from.

7) Do you eat 3 meals during the day? Do you find that you don't need to eat much during the day for one reason or another?

8) You're not GOING to be at risk of diabetes. You are ALREADY AT RISK of diabetes. It was late yesterday man. Get on with the quitting and get started on the living.

How old are you, how tall are you and how much do you weigh? "Borderline Obese" seems to fall under different categories depending on what part of the country the person lives in (not all doctors/physicians are equal).

WHY I'm so adamant:
-History of heart disease and diabetes in my family
-Unhealthy father who can't see that the foods he eats are unhealthy
-Unhealthy friends who can't see that the foods they eat are unhealthy
-A nutritionist/personal trainer/studying dietician for a wife
-Two sister in laws, a mother in law, a father in law, all addicted to sugar and fats who can't realize the root of their issues is derived from this addiction. Reliant on other drugs/procedures to solve there problems.

I've witnessed the parents of my best friend fall into this trap. I've known them since the age of 6. I love them. The mother is diabetic (from DIET coke), and the father is either in denial, or about a half inch from the line. They work slave jobs (9-5 with no happiness) to find retirement in a couple years at 62. They won't be able to enjoy it fully because they are too fat/unhealthy/diseased/sick.

Don't be like these people man. You KNOW the err's of your ways, and you can see the difference. It's because you can already see the light of day, the brightness at the end of the tunnel that I even bother to type this. You have already taken the hard step.

Quitting soda/sugar is physically akin to quitting a drug addiction. Be strong.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:04:11 PM by bigalsmith101 »

magga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »
I quit soda (coke zero), cold turkey,  7 months ago. It helped that I got mad at myself for putting something so unhealthy into my body. I decided not contribute to coca-cola's bottom line.

One thing that helped was club soda with a spoon of organic apple cider vinegar.  It tastes like crap but it cut my cravings to manageable levels over time. Now I just avoid drinking sweet liquids so no sweetner in anything and no fruit juices etc.  and if I want something sweet I'll eat a piece of fruit instead.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Stopping completely, without tapering works best for me.  Deal with cravings for caffeine with either black coffee or tea.  Deal with sugar cravings by eating fibrous fruit (apples, bananas, oranges).  When working, substitute drinking with excercise to relieve stress during your micro-breaks.

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 11:54:47 PM »
Forcus, It sounds like you are making progress! Thats awesome. I used to drink 4-6 cans of soda a day (coke) but quit when I did Weight Watchers. One can of soda was 3 or 4 "points" and I could only have something like 30 points a day, so the math just couldnt work for me :)

I do have a soda stream and I mix the carb. water with juice or make my own flavored syrups, but I mostly do that in summer.

Stay Strong!

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »

Thankfully you seem to have at least some comprehension of what sugar is doing to you. It's not the caffeine you are addicted to. It's the sugar. It sounds like you need a bit of "big hits" to put you over the edge so I'll help a bit.

-SNIP-

Thanks so much for the thoughts. I think I am going to print it out and paste it somewhere & keep rereading it. Especially right now, going through something of a caffeine / sugar withdrawal :(

I stood at the gas station last night for about 5 minutes debating whether I should buy a 12 pack of Pepsi but finally decided not to. Later when I had cravings I had to think if a sane MMM type would drive ~1 mile to the gas station to get a soda and used that to go to bed thirsty but may be a little stronger.

Now I am trying to think of what I can use to replace the cravings besides good old water. I have some grape juice in the fridge but when I checked the label it had nearly as much sugar as a Pepsi. I think my cravings go 1) Pepsi taste, 2) sugar, 3) caffeine in that order. I've developed a finely honed taste where I can distinctly tell if it came from a 12 oz. can, 20 oz. bottle or 2 liter, as well as how old it is. The sugar part is what has an effect on my mood and energy. I think that might help combat 1), if I see improvements in 2). The caffeine, well, I think I might have to just suffer through the headaches for now.

I think what will help is I have definitively decided to start working out again. We'll see.

JeffC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2014, 12:23:38 PM »
I'm a recovering Diet Coke addict. I read an article about a study where it was determined that aspartame was more addictive (to rats) than cocaine.  I decided to quit and usually can go a month without and then I have a bit of a relapse, but am able to get myself back on track fairly quickly, like 2 days into the relapse.  I was drinking a 44oz gas station fountain pretty much every day, now it is 1-2 per month, pretty good improvement!

The best way to stop any behavior you want to stop is to go ahead and live like normal but when you find that you are doing that thing (in this case drinking soda, but really it could be anything) take a moment to think about what the circumstances are that led to you doing that thing.  Then formulate a plan to avoid having those circumstances come up. This is way better than deciding to "feel bad" or berating yourself for the bad behavior - that doesn't get you anywhere. 

I figured out that I was mainly stopping and getting a soda any time I drove anywhere, and a lot of it was that I was thirsty and also just like to drink liquids while driving.  I never would even consider buying a 12 pack of soda at the grocery store, so I really only do that while driving.  Realizing this, I just make sure to load up a big stainless steel bottle of ice water whenever I get in the car.  Occasionally I will be around the house and crave a soda, and the old me would have just gotten in the car and driven to the gas station to get a soda (FACEPUNCH) but the new me just whips up a giant pitcher of Cold Brew Lipton ice tea which is definitely as delicious, caffeinated, and refreshing as a giant soda, but better for me (I don't use sugar, just plain), not wasteful of gas and time, and much cheaper. 

The sugar thing will be hard to break but hopefully this helps.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
Just an update:

I quit drinking soda evening of 11/26 (Thanksgiving Eve). Thanksgiving day was terrible I wanted to die, made worse with kids running around screaming at Thanksgiving dinner. Got home, took some Nyquil and slept 15 hours. Felt fine since then. No headaches, a little bit more consistent and elevated energy and drive. No real cravings for either sugar or caffeine.

Still looking for substitutes though. Tried Dasani unsweetened, worse thing I have ever drank. Did find some sort of vitamin water that is artificially sweetened a little but at $1.08 a bottle likely only a "treat". I've settled on plain old water and a sparkling water with flavoring from of all places Dollar General. It does have sucralose and I still have to see how much since they don't generally advertise it. But no caffeine.

I think my "treats" will be lemonade and grape juice, at most 8-12 oz. once a day. But so far so good.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
I quit soda "cold turkey" in 1984. I'd been drinking stadium cups of Mountain Dew at breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the college cafeteria. I haven't had a caffeinated beverage since then.

The reason? We took our pulse as part of a class. My resting pulse rate was 108. At age 20. I quit that day, and a week later, my resting pulse rate was 80.

I treat myself to herbal teas with no caffeine - whatever kind I want to try. Different teas for different seasons. Cinnamon Apple Spice in winter. Peppermint. Raspberry in the summer, over ice. Flavors without sugar or caffeine.

Have you tried seltzer water with lime? No caffeine or sugar, but you still get the carbonation.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2014, 11:48:09 AM »

Have you tried seltzer water with lime? No caffeine or sugar, but you still get the carbonation.

I think that was essentially what the Dasani stuff was. It had a salty taste to it, I hated it. But I am still trying similar kinds of things as I find them.

Annie-Blake

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »
oh I have this same problem and feel like I am always running into a brick wall.  I have tried and tried and tried.  But I love ice cold cans of coca-cola.  on a hot summers day. 
I thought I was doing well...4 wks without...but now i'm back to drinking it.  I know all the health implications etc and why I should not drink it but I can't stop.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
oh I have this same problem and feel like I am always running into a brick wall.  I have tried and tried and tried.  But I love ice cold cans of coca-cola.  on a hot summers day. 
I thought I was doing well...4 wks without...but now i'm back to drinking it.  I know all the health implications etc and why I should not drink it but I can't stop.

You know, I think it has to do with personality. I'd say I have a somewhat addictive personality but I also have a situationally strong will. I was drinking anywhere from 6-18 bottles of Bud Light a night, working in the garage for 6 hours after work. Then I woke up on June 24, 2010 and just said "enough" and that was that. no real withdrawal and even though I'd like to have a beer (or 10) now and then, I doubt I ever will and it if I do it will be on my terms (e.g. not triggered by some event).

There was nothing in particular that made me stop Thanksgiving Eve (and that was only a week ago so I'm not going to pat myself on the back yet..), it was just an "enough" moment. Drinking that much soda, mood swings, energy levels, cravings, headaches, etc. I wasn't in control and I hate not being in control (at least of how I feel).

I can't advise that way of thinking to anyone else because I think it's a way of being wired. I will never be truly MMM because I am not wired the same way, I cannot have 15 different activities going on at one time and be successful, etc. I think every person who wants to quit something has to find that way to quit that works for them. Whether it's snapping a rubber band on your wrist, finding a channel / outlet for the cravings, etc. I really don't know the answer to that one.

dantownehall

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
Unsweetened iced tea is what helped me off of soda.

I think I really am just addicted to ice-chewing, so that is still satisfied in a calorie free (actually, negative calorie) way with iced tea.  I do miss the sugar sometimes and will have an occasional Coke, but I feel much better now.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
Hot tea with milk and stevia is doing the trick for me this winter.

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2014, 03:17:46 PM »
Hey Forcus. Just to let you know I'm rooting for you. Never had much time for coke etc but used to have a ton of hot tea with sugar. Thought it tasted vile without. A friend challenged me to try without sugar and I never looked back. Also mostly drink decaf too now.

One thing I will say, is that you will be able to taste food differently. Once you cut out that much sugar, things you thought you didn't like will suddenly taste different. I used to want to add sugar to everything. But now I can taste the *food*.

Good luck with your quest. You will find what works for you and do it. Remember, you can decide to change any freaking time you want.

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2014, 06:20:14 AM »
"Nope, still chugging soda like a fiend. Usually one mt. dew morning, one pepsi at lunch, one mt. dew afternoon then 1-2 pepsi's at night (all 12 oz. cans)."

I hope this helps: from the perspective of someone who doesn't drink soda, this sounds disgusting.

Soda in the morning?? That much per day?? How can someone do that to themselves?

It's been decades since I drank soda. I hope you get to the point one day of seeing this habit this way.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »
Just an update.

No soda since 11/26. No real headaches or cravings for sugar / caffeine since 11/28 so I think I've been lucky as far as withdrawal goes.

Trying a number of drinks, vitamin water, etc. as treats to my standard water. I did make a mistake and had lemonade without checking sugar content. I couldn't believe how affected I was by it so I am very careful to check sugar on everything I eat and drink.

Haven't been craving a lot of "bad" foods in addition - ones that likely have lots of salt and sugar. Been incorporating more vegetables. I haven't been weighing myself but I can definitely tell I am losing weight. My current pants are getting too big when I was basically exploding out of them before and have been able to use move up 2 notches on my belt. Haven't been exercising yet (other reasons) but nice to know I can start dropping weight without trying. Been eating out alot less as a result of fewer cravings so less money as well.

Stomach has been upset a lot. I think it's just a shock to the system, all the changes.

I've been far more alert at work than when I had the ups and downs of sugar and caffeine. I am functioning at a higher level.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:20 AM »
I've been rooting for you, too. I'm a big fan of being healthy and taking care of your body. I've never been a soda drinker (maybe one root beer a year). But I can't fathom being addicted to it. I used to drink a lot of fruit juice, but quit when I realized how expensive it was and how much sugar it had.

I am so glad you are seeing positive changes in your body. One comment I wanted to make, you said a few posts back that you avoided buying a 12 pack (yay!) And later considered driving 1 mile to get a soda. Next time, frame it even differently- you have to walk. I know you don't seem to be having cravings now, but if you do, make yourself walk that mile to get the soda. Don't make it easy.

Im pumped for you. It just makes me so sad to hear about people being addicted to soda. Break the cycle and learn to love water! A sure fire way to love water is to exercise! If you bother to exercise, you sure won't want to quench your thirst with a soda and erase all that hard work you just did! Sweating a little makes water taste like a sweet treat to me!

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2014, 11:47:52 AM »
Just an update.

No soda since 11/26....

...I've been far more alert at work than when I had the ups and downs of sugar and caffeine. I am functioning at a higher level.

Congrats! The initial hurdle of the first few months is the hardest; once you have gone awhile without it, it will actually taste weird to you if one day you decide to "treat" yourself to a little bit. (And the brutal sugar crash you will have after said treat will remind you why you stopped!) I quit a fairly steady soda habit years ago, it's not easy! The pavlovian response to hearing someone open a can still surprises me every now and then. But when I do give into that and have one, or even just a couple sips of one, I find myself wondering what all the fuss was about and why I used to like it so much.

One note since you mentioned an upset stomach: keep an eye on what's in your replacement "treat beverages." My husband and I have found we react badly to some of the sugar substitutes (aspartame seems to affect us the most), in a variety of ways including stomach troubles. It's totally possible your body is just confused by all the changes you're making, but it's also worth watching the ingredient lists and seeing if the same culprit pops up frequently on days you're feeling a little off. Now that we've been avoiding it, we can't believe the amount of products it is in! (And it affects us whether it was in soda, chewing gum, granola bars, yogurt... you name it.)

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
Forcus:

Your last post sounds awesome!

The depressing spiral of binging and crashing can just as easily become an encouraging spiral of discovering nuances of food and flavor, enjoying watching your body become more fit, building confidence, gaingin independence, and everything else that comes from fitness and awareness.

There's more flavor in a carrot than in a soda, but you only sense it when your taste buds haven't been overwhelmed with sugar. Actually, carrots are pretty sweet when you get used to them. When you get there, you'll enjoy them more and probably find soda gross.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
Congrats Forcus, the worst bit is over!

The pavlovian response to hearing someone open a can still surprises me every now and then. But when I do give into that and have one, or even just a couple sips of one, I find myself wondering what all the fuss was about and why I used to like it so much.

Haha very true, the can opening sound is a definite trigger point. I avoid it triggering a craving by instead making it trigger the thought of how much money/health etc the guy who opened it is wasting.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:34 PM »
I've found that food (fast food) is definitely the addiction I have and I eat it in secret a lot.  I always hit the drive thru.  I feel like I  do it sometimes when I'm not hungry. Sometimes I have to eat dinner twice because I went to the drive through and then have to go eat with my roommate or parents and eat some dinner too so they won't know i had fast food AGAIN. 

So, first of all, when you have to hide your diet from people, it's a problem! You *know* it's a problem or you wouldn't be hiding it.

I don't think I'm "wired" to quit things cold-turkey like Forcus, so I use the "rule of 1" when I want to cut down on (or keep tabs on) a less-than-ideal behavior. I cut down several weekly coffee dates and several lunches out with friends to one a week of each after I discovered MMM. Actually even before MMM I wanted to transition from juice to water, I started by allowing myself one per meal. Then one per day. Then I didn't want it so much. Now if I want juice/sugary beverage for a few days, I'll get some...and have one per day. It also works for introducing good habits. Like I have to have one (non-starchy) vegetable with lunch & dinner.

My other suggestion for you is to make it at home. I think it ties in with what another commenter said: don't make it easy. You want chicken nuggets? Cut up some chicken, bread it, fry it in a pan a few at a time, drain it...and 2 hours later you have chicken nuggets. You want fries with that? Slice some potatoes. And don't get a deep-fryer by any means! You'll be forced to pan-fry or bake your goodies *evil grin*.

Try it! You can change. And you can have the things you want "in moderation." You can be happy with yourself and your habits and if you say "I got Wendy's" it'll just be a thing you do, sometimes, once in a XXX, and not a big deal.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
Stomach has been upset a lot. I think it's just a shock to the system, all the changes.

I'm not a nutritionist, but my spouse is.  The stomach upset is likely from the lack of sugar affecting your gut flora.  Try some probiotics and/or yoghurt... look for unsweetened, like organic from a co-op, as most Yami etc. have added sugar. 

Sugar is everywhere!  It's in all kinds of stuff it doesn't need to be in.  Commercial milk producers even want to add it without having to include it as an ingredient on the label.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 10:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, all.

I'm not a nutritionist, but my spouse is.  The stomach upset is likely from the lack of sugar affecting your gut flora.  Try some probiotics and/or yoghurt... look for unsweetened, like organic from a co-op, as most Yami etc. have added sugar.

Thanks, I'm going to be completely honest, the "upset stomach" has moved down a couple floors and now it's um.... excessive flatulence (never thought I'd ever say that ever on a forum!!). Like all evening / all night. Wife is ready to kick me to the couch. We've always joked about gassy vegetarians, (not that I'm even close nor want to be but I'm not eating much meat right now) so I think karma is coming back to bite me. I did introduce two new drinks at the same time it started... testing by not drinking those today. We'll see.

I've added nuts and things to snack on. Not bad. I like nuts and sunflower kernels, might try some dehydrated fruit (if I like it I can make my own, I have two dehydrators that have only been used for beef jerky). I need to add more veggies especially at work so I can mindlessly snack on carrots, etc.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 12:45:11 PM »
I've found that a handful of macadamia nuts and one small square of dark chocolate really can kill a sweets craving. The dark chocolate, 85% or above, is butter enough that I won't over eat. The macadamia nuts are rich enough that I only want a few. So I get my sweet kick, its healthy, and I don't overeat!

NathanP

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2015, 11:19:52 AM »
I am resurrecting this old topic to post that I have now been soda free for 3 months thanks largely to reading through this thread. I have always wanted to quit drinking soda, but never had that "Do it Now!" moment. Several years ago I made the switch to drinking diet drinks, but continued to consume them in large quantities. Quitting wasn't too hard for me. I had a headache for a day or so due to reduced caffeine intake, but I countered that by drinking coffee.

As a replacement for soda, I now make a half gallon of tea each morning that I bring into work. I do sweeten the tea by adding 1 small spoonful of Stevia (hopefully safe) and a bit of lemon juice. Once the jug is empty, I switch to water.

Forcus, hopefully you have had continued success in quitting.