Author Topic: Need help quitting soda  (Read 38012 times)

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
Need help quitting soda
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
I need help quitting soda. Tapering off doesn't work as I have an all or nothing personality. I quit drinking 3.5 years ago and it was so much easier than trying to stop drinking soda. I really need to do it cold turkey, but having done that before, it is absolutely miserable. I was wondering if you guys knew of any ways of mitigating the headaches and withdrawal. Thought about taking caffeine pills and tapering that off but seems like its trading one drug for another (or in this case, a different form of the same drug). Thoughts?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Need help quitting soda
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
I used to drink 1 litre of diet Pepsi per day in my 20's and I realized I had to stop.  I changed from diet Pepsi to club soda and drank that for a while.  Then I changed to Perrier water because it is bubbly.  Stopped drinking Perrier and now just drink regular water. 

Regarding the headaches I guess you mean from caffeine withdrawal, I don't remember having a problem with that but you could just take Excedrin for a few days.  I am not sure but i think that would help. 

Good luck with it.  Not only is drinking pop expensive for what it is (sugar + water) but it is really bad for your teeth and your insides.  Best wishes and let us know how it goes.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
I felt the same when I quit coffee a year ago.  I would say there really is no trick to it you just have to do it and not put yourself in a situation where you might be tempted.  When I quit coffee the first 7 days of caffeine withdrawal was bad.  But that kind of reinforced why I was quitting in the first place.  I never wanted to go through that again so I stuck to it.  We get free coffee at work so I just avoided the kitchen as much as possible.  Again make your probability of success as high as possible.  Eliminate your triggers, like eating food you normally have with soda, or fast food, ect.  You need to identify when you drink soda most and avoid those scenarios initially.  Once you eliminate or at least mitigate the cravings then you can put yourself in those scenarios again without being tempted.  Good Luck!

You can also educate yourself more about the side effects of soda and how bad they are for you if consumed on a regular basis, that's why I decided to stop drinking soda to begin with.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
I switched to carbonated water to stop drinking soda. My question is do you drink drink for the caffeine and taste, or the feel of the carbonation? Some of my alternates I used to not drink soda was mixing some of the powdered drink mixes into carbonated water for the taste, but I mainly just love drinking the carbonated water. The drink mixes aren't great for health and teeth either, but they do have less sugar. If the caffeine is hitting you possible try some of the powdered teas with caffeine in carbonated water.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »
I take caffeine pills instead of drinking soda.  I used to go through 3 diet cokes a day.  Quit about a year ago, but I still need the caffeine boost, so I take one 100mg pill in the mornings.  I find the 200mg pill that most offer is too strong for me and 100mg is about the equivalent of 3 cans.  However, a jar of 120 pills is about $7.  A 12 pack of coke is ~$3 on sale.  $.06/day vs $.75/day, not including dental fees.

That said, I don't really have much of a caffeine addiction.  I just use it to focus at work.  On the weekends, I rarely consume any and can't tell the difference.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:13:38 PM »
Why can't you taper, exactly? Because you think you won't want to?

Could you buy some normal coke and some decaf coke (or whatever your soda of choice is) and drink one less caffeinated coke a day (or two days, or whatever)? Could you just take an excedrin or a caffeine pill, or drink a caffeinated drink only when the caffeine headache gets bad?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:40 PM »
I think you should start by getting started.  Just try it, and if you fail, take note of why.  You don't know if it's the taste, or the sugar rush, or the caffeine, etc., or what triggers the cravings, etc.
Also, define your objection to it.  Is it the cost, the health effects, the addiction...?  That will also help forcus focus your goal.

Personally any time I've had a caffeine headache, I just popped a regular dose of ibuprofen and that fixed it.  Maybe you could try unsweetened iced tea as a substitute in the beginning?  That goes back to the above, though, about what the particulars are.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 08:24:01 PM »
I drink espresso for caffeine and soda water for fizz, so I can't address your concern from experience directly.  But, I used to drink a lot of coke, snapple and other crap.  When I switched to soda water I lost 10 lbs. without trying.   

I would advise switching to plain soda water or lightly flavored soda water like Talking Rain.  At the same time, I'd be scientific about cutting back your cola intake, reducing your intake by 1 serving every 2 or 3 days and making up the difference in plain soda water.  When you get to just soda water you can do the same process changing to plain water if you want.

There are various benefits to quitting colas, including better sleep, easier mornings, better dental health, and blood chemistry benefits.  Not to mention lowering your risk of diabetes etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:48:01 AM by Greg »

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:13 PM »
You can get a soda stream to make fizzy water, and add just a bit of juice to your fizzy water for some flavor.

MissPeach

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
You can get a soda stream to make fizzy water, and add just a bit of juice to your fizzy water for some flavor.

I bought a soda stream too because it's cheaper to use than to buy sparking water like Perrier. I initially had to spike it with some sprite until I got used to the taste. Now I like it by itself. I still get soda cravings but I have been able to cut down dramatically with soda water since I'm mostly craving something cold with bubbles.

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »
I'm pretty unapologetic about my addiction to soda, but I do not enjoy the cost(30cents a can at the low end for cans, 22.5cents for Kirkland Cola, ~1.50$ for a 2 liter) and the health issues of it.

SodaStream is delicious, the cost can work out, and it is much better from a health standpoint. I recommend it.

Did I mention it's delicious? and on demand? Cream Soda especiallly... mmmm.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:03:51 AM »
Decide not to drink it and then don't. Yep, it's that simple.

I LOVE diet coke/coke zero (depending on which country I'm in, the tastes vary wildly) and it's the only form of caffeine I have but I stopped drinking it because it's really not good for me. That's it. I just stopped. I sometimes treat myself to fizzy water instead but the rest is mental attitude. I tell myself "I'm a person who doesn't drink coke".

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:28:04 AM »

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
I quit cold turkey like six years ago. That's the best way to go in my opinion.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »
hm a happy medium that I've found is carbonated apple juice :S it's a german drink but I make it using normal apple juice and soda stream to add carbonation.
My other drinks are tea and mostly water :S

edit: tea has a lot of caffeine too, Alka seltzer works well too  http://www.alka-seltzer.com/asmr/faq.htm#caffeine but you're pretty much just switching cost from one form to another, bit cheaper though :S but don't rely on it
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:45:58 AM by eyem »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »
hm a happy medium that I've found is carbonated apple juice :S it's a german drink but I make it using normal apple juice and soda stream to add carbonation.
Carbonated water and ordinary apple juice is good too - a little less cloying.

jonchappelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »
Money and Simplicity are what convinced me to stop.

I started walking to the grocery store this past summer and it was a serious challenge to try to carry 2x2 liter bottles of soda, 2 quarts of almond milk, along with food. By refilling a water filter pitcher, I cut a lot of weight, and ~ 1/4 of my food budget (~ 9$ a week in drinks, 2x2liter@~1.39, 2xAlmondMilk@~3.09) Even now that I'm driving to the store in the winter, my goal is to keep my groceries in 2 bags. So far this year I've only given in to the cravings once. You'll slip up, but just keep going. I get my caffeine kick from free coffee at work. Also, I'll drink soda if I can find it for free. Actually, I'll eat anything if it's free :)

adesertsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
I am only half-way there.  A couple years ago, we stopped buying soda for the house cold turkey.  We just don't do it.  However, I made allowances for having a soda from the fountain at the gas station or if i was picking up dinner at Subway (I know, make my own sandwich).  I've pretty much stalled there.  I "like" the taste (can you really like it?) which is why it is hard to get away from.

My husband, on the other hand, was majorly addicted (~6 cans a day of diet coke).  He really only cares about the bubbles, though, so we got a soda stream and he drink bubbly water all the time.  Even when we go out he just gets water (some soda fountains have soda water, too).

I am still holding out hope for myself.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Ah, didn't expect such a response! I'll try to hit all the questions.

My main reason for quitting is health reasons. I am borderline obese and about 1/2 of my calories daily come from soda. This would be 1-2 Mt. Dew's in the morning, maybe a Pepsi at lunch, and 1 Mt. Dew in the afternoon (all 12 oz. cans). At night it's 1-2 cans of Pepsi. I have terrible ebbs and flows in my energy levels, these are partially (not fully) connected with soda / sugar / caffeine. I am not diabetic but easily see becoming diabetic with current sugar intake.

Another reason is I am trying to ween (heh heh) myself off anything I am "dependent" on. This includes certain foods and some medications I am taking that are crutches.

Cost doesn't really play in to it, besides the fact that pre-packaged alternatives are more expensive. I tried Naked Juice Smoothies, and though "natural", they have a lot of sugar and are very expensive to use as a full replacement. I tried grape juice but somewhat expensive and still loads of sugar. I am going to look in to soda stream, I knew about it but never thought about using it for a "non-soda" drink.

I LOVE the taste of Pepsi.

Caffeine pills I think would only be reasonable if I was trying to break the habit of having a drink in my hand, and once that was done, tapering the caffeine pills. It bugs me to trade one form of the same drug for another but as with money problems, it's usually about everything but money so it may still be a solution.

Someone mentioned I should just stop and move on. I have tried that, but my job is mentally demanding and I can't sit there with a massive headache unable to string two thoughts together, so it has to be another method. I have quit maybe 3-4 times and have lasted anywhere from 2 days to a couple weeks, but that's it. I am trying to combine stopping soda with a new workout schedule so that the morning "wake-up" is handled by exercise and the afternoon lull is handled by some other method, sans soda.

shakenNOTstirred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »

My main reason for quitting is health reasons. I am borderline obese and about 1/2 of my calories daily come from soda. This would be 1-2 Mt. Dew's in the morning, maybe a Pepsi at lunch, and 1 Mt. Dew in the afternoon (all 12 oz. cans). At night it's 1-2 cans of Pepsi. I have terrible ebbs and flows in my energy levels, these are partially (not fully) connected with soda / sugar / caffeine. I am not diabetic but easily see becoming diabetic with current sugar intake.

Wow! That's a lot of soda! At least you realize your problem, which is the first step.
I just drink tap water. It saves money, saves gaining weight, and saves your teeth too!
You also recognize with the amount you're drinking that you face getting diabetes.
All I can say is just go cold turkey. There is no (valid) excuse. Drink water.
Good luck!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I used to drink a lot of coke (up to 2 l per day), but then about a year ago I realised that this needs to stop. I occasionally still drink a glass or two when I'm outside, but at home I simply don't buy it anymore. That's all, was actually easier than I expected it to be. I changed to apple juice not straight water though, maybe that made it easier?

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »

Wow! That's a lot of soda! At least you realize your problem, which is the first step.
I just drink tap water. It saves money, saves gaining weight, and saves your teeth too!
You also recognize with the amount you're drinking that you face getting diabetes.
All I can say is just go cold turkey. There is no (valid) excuse. Drink water.
Good luck!

I do the same thing.  I either keep a brita pitcher on my desk, or I wear my camelbak while I sit there, and mindlessly sip it.  Then I don't even have to get up / reach for my cup when I need a sip. 

Also, what is the habit/trigger that makes you want /reach for the soda?  Sometimes you have to find the trigger, and replace one action with another one... have a stress-ball where you normally sat your can of soda, etc... Everytime you find yourself reaching for it, mentally make note of it and do your new habit. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 12:22:42 PM »

For me (as some have previously said) it was sodastream and coffee.  I drink just plain soda (which fulfills my craving for that back of the mouth burn that you get from coke or straight whiskey) and black coffee (which fulfills the caffeine addiction).

Yeah, I've quit caffeine before.  Unpleasant.  I don't particularly worry about caffeine addiction, but mainlining a big tub of liquid sugar is probably worth avoiding.

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2014, 12:56:37 PM »
I'd drink some caffeinated tea for the caffeine withdrawal, and taper down over a week or so.

The sugar withdrawal is harder.  I don't know if this is true for you, but I have a certain region of blood glucose levels where I am honestly just a troll.  I need to either stay above that region or below it if I am going to play nicely with others.  If I'm in it, I try to focus on dealing with things and not with people.

One thing I've learned is that blood glucose is measured as a concentration, and it functions in the body on that basis.  So look at your fluid intake and sugar intake together.  In a Tony Robbins book, I found where he "cured" a candy addict by having him restrict fluid intake while eating as much candy as he could stand--he quickly felt rotten and didn't crave sweets anymore.  I'm not saying to pursue dehydration as a weight loss strategy, but to try to be more conscious of what you drink, wait until you're actually thirsty, and drink more slowly.

From Seth Roberts's Shangri-La diet I got the idea of taking a tablespoon of corn syrup in a glass of water a couple of times a day.  It sounds horrible from a nutritional and low-carb perspective, but it's about 60 calories, and it gives the brain enough to run on for a couple of hours without a big blood sugar crash afterward, while also giving the body enough water to run on.  (I'm a troll when I'm dehydrated, too.)  The relatively tasteless corn syrup acts to suppress appetite.  Anyway, after a few days of this and eating low-carb, I found I could do ok without the corn syrup and water.  I just try not to guzzle a lot of fluids at once now.  If I need some energy, I eat a tablespoon of butter (which Roberts claims improves brain function).

Christiana

• Stubble
    • Zatera Ul
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:37 PM »
Also:

Do some strength training, because muscle mass helps stabilize blood sugar metabolism.

Seth Roberts also recommends taking a couple of teaspoons of honey before bed, which gives the brain enough fuel for the nighttime work of REM sleep.  Poor sleep leads to poor eating; a nasty feedback loop.

I've been experimenting with eating a couple of tablespoons of yogurt a day for the probiotics; it seems to be helping me keep from getting colds.  Coming down with a cold feels just like a blood sugar crash to me.  If I self-medicate with sugar to feel better I'll weaken my immune system, get really sick, and then eat too many carbs while sick--another nasty feedback loop.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:33 PM »

Learn to love black coffee. It's practically health food. People have been drinking it for centuries.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2014, 02:00:16 PM »

Caffeine pills I think would only be reasonable if I was trying to break the habit of having a drink in my hand, and once that was done, tapering the caffeine pills. It bugs me to trade one form of the same drug for another but as with money problems, it's usually about everything but money so it may still be a solution.

Someone mentioned I should just stop and move on. I have tried that, but my job is mentally demanding and I can't sit there with a massive headache unable to string two thoughts together, so it has to be another method. I have quit maybe 3-4 times and have lasted anywhere from 2 days to a couple weeks, but that's it. I am trying to combine stopping soda with a new workout schedule so that the morning "wake-up" is handled by exercise and the afternoon lull is handled by some other method, sans soda.

Black coffee will help a lot with the caffeine withdrawal/focus issues.

Your obesity and diet WILL lead to diabetes. Cut the high sugar NOW. No juice. No soda. When you're craving something, plain seltzer water spiked with a little juice is great. Eventually (like me) you may prefer it plain. Snack on high protein stuff like nuts. Allow yourself fruit, especially things like clementines that are small. It's a great way to spike your sugar a bit but a fraction of the calories that a soda has.

Cold turkey is the best way to go, I know from experience. After a couple months without it, a Pepsi will literally make you sick.

Cincy Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:42 PM »
Learn to love black coffee. It's practically health food. People have been drinking it for centuries.

+1 on the black coffee!  ALSO, it's HORRIBLE for you.  I had no trouble quitting pop once I realized how bad it was. (just a quick google search can scare the shit out of you here) http://wakeup-world.com/2013/08/20/5-good-reasons-to-stop-drinking-soda-immediately/

My solution was a 32oz plastic water bottle.  I drink 2 to 3 of them a day.  I definitely piss a lot, but I do believe it helps with energy!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »
I like keeping water cold in summer and lukewarm in winter, so I'd recommend an insulated bottle.

I dig the Hydro Flask brand.

tpozywio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
I just dealt with the caffeine withdrawals for a couple days.  One tactic I used when tapering down was only putting one cold pop in the fridge at a time.  Started drinking water with Mios.  Make yourself drink a cup of water before having a pop

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 11:14:30 AM »
Just an update. Did not try to do cold turkey even though I indicated I would. Have been tapering but have had some relapses. This past week / weekend got a really bad gout flareup and decided once and for all have to change my eating / drinking (non-alcohol) habits. So I will be re-reviewing all your comments and asking more questions. Thanks again for all the thoughts, I appreciate it.

Nancy

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
I read the Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar, and when I realized that my "addiction" to soda was just based on  marketing, I stopped drinking soda that day.

A good trick is to try and quit while you're on vacation. I've read that addictions are connected to habits and locations. So if you always buy a soda from the corner store on your way home, you'll start craving it once you get near the store. Same thing for 3pm at your desk. Next vacation, omit soda from your routine. If you never take vacations, then try and alter some of your routines at home. Eat breakfast in a different seat, take a new route home, go for a walk around your building at 3pm, etc. It may seem weird and unrelated, but it might just work for you. Good luck!

MustacheMiz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
Something that always helps me avoid soda is picturing the sugar content in teaspoons. It's much more visual and much more scary.

1 teaspoon of sugar equates to approximately 4 grams. A typical 12oz can of soda (Pepsi) has approximately 41g of sugar or about 10tsp. Simply picturing myself consuming 10tsp of sugar is enough of a deterrent.

Good luck!

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
I do drink coffee now, but there was a time in my life when I eliminated all caffeine, including sodas.  I quit cold turkey, but I took a week off of work to do so. I spent a lot of that time sleeping because of the withdrawal symptoms.  I didn't have the patience to taper off, so this strategy worked well for me. 

Also, you could consider taking an Excedrin or similar pill while you are trying to stop drinking soda.  Maybe it would be beneficial to break down how much money it's going to save you per year or how much weight you will lose.. 10 pounds for me... and put that visual reminder on your fridge or make it your smartphone screensaver.

Best of luck. You can do it.

crumbcatcher

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
I quit a ridiculous Diet Coke habit cold turkey by substituting sparkling water (which I quickly developed a taste for).  For caffeine headaches, ibuprofin and LOTS of water (sparkling or otherwise) to stay hydrated. That made a huge difference for me.

Eventually I didn't feel that I needed fizzy water anymore so I stopped that too, which was good on the pocketbook, but it was a helpful measure for breaking the cola habit.

Two years later, I'm able to enjoy an occasional fizzy drink if I really want one, like during the summer when it's super hot, but for the most part the desire isn't even there anymore.  I drink coffee now so I have the caffeine monkey on my back again, but otherwise it's just tap water.

Milspecstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 06:58:35 PM »
Soda is very bad for your teeth.  Between the acid and the sugar it can result in much higher dental expenses down the road.

I hate the HuffPost but they have an article that compares diet soda to meth as far as its effects on teeth:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/diet-soda-teeth-similar-to-meth-photos_n_3348158.html

If it were me I'd consider printing some of those pictures and putting them on the fridge...  All that money you could save and the healthier teeth that would result!

Bärtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
As a german I grew up with carbonated water so that's what I mostly drink or I have apple juice with carbonated water if I crave something sweet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/28/diet-soda-teeth-similar-to-meth-photos_n_3348158.html
This is horrible but I guess my profession won't die anytime soon.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 08:20:06 PM »
Just switch to coffee or tea.   I used to drink tons of soda, now I go through maybe 1 a week.   I drink a half a pot of coffee everyday though, along with a couple glasses of wine or beer.   

If you don't have health problems, every major study has said there are no long term negative health risks associated with 3 cups or less of coffee a day, and it does help you focus.

Babymoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
You might find the sugar punch is actually effecting you as much as the caffeine. So look to manage this too: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/23/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine.aspx

OnTheMoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
It's not surprising that you're having trouble quitting Mt Dew specifically. It's not just the sugar you're missing - you're likely experiencing bromide detox as well. I know it sounds "woo woo" to many people but it's a real thing, suggest you check it out. (And not to go too much into the science here, but the bromine displaces iodine in the body which is linked to thyroid disease which is linked to diabetes, among other things. So you really should look into it at least so you know what you're actually drinking.)

Also, in general I've had much more success framing this type of big change in a positive light rather than a negative one, e.g. becoming super healthy, which obviously excludes drinking that type of thing, rather than avoiding a particular drink that you have a physiological (not just psychological) addiction to. I tried to give up chocolate (my personal "vice") for many years but haven't touched it for ages (prob two years) because I haven't touched ANYTHING bad because I'm a healthy person now and so I only eat healthy things. In my experience, trying to taper off or limit myself to a very small amount (one square per day or every few days etc) just kept my focus on what I couldn't have, but these days I rarely even think about chocolate at all... I keep my focus on all the healthy stuff I put into my body every day, not what I keep out of it.

Good luck, you can do it!

Mori

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »
Just an update. Did not try to do cold turkey even though I indicated I would. Have been tapering but have had some relapses. This past week / weekend got a really bad gout flareup and decided once and for all have to change my eating / drinking (non-alcohol) habits. So I will be re-reviewing all your comments and asking more questions. Thanks again for all the thoughts, I appreciate it.

If you are willing to taper have you tried going to a soda lower in caffeine, and then eliminating a drink a day every week? That way you have progress and you still get rid of most of your sodas within two months. It will also give you time to form other habits without going totally into withdrawal.

I ended up kicking my soda habit because I moved to an all-Pepsi campus and I didn't like Pepsi. After a while when I tried a soda it would burn all the way down my throat. Pretty painful. I'll have one every once and again now but nothing like before.

QuacktasticStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »
I also have a ridiculous soda addiction. Can drink a two-liter in a day/day-and-a half. It messes with my sleep, I've watched all the scary videos about how terrible it is for you, and even quit for about six weeks and lost 8 pounds. But I fooled myself into thinking that I could be a "casual" soda drinker, and went right back from an occasional soda to multiple sodas a day.

I wish you luck! I'm going to try and quit again as well. It's expensive. It's unhealthy. It doesn't make my body feel good.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
I'm surprised at how fast I've come to like plain seltzer with a splash of citrus, no sugar. It doesn't even taste sour to me anymore.

At work I'm actually down to water-only, but a pint-size Nalgene would be a good way to bring "soda" to work with you for lunch.

Soda disgusts me now. Beer, on the other hand....

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
I'm feeling really lucky right now that I never developed a soda habit. However, when I start to overdo my coffee and forget to taper off, I'll get an awful headache (maybe migraine even?) about 24-48 hrs after my last cup. The only cure I've found was an Acetominophen or Excedrin (not a super-dose of either, just a normal dose), AND a cup of green tea.

I believe a sugar crash can also give you a headache...cutting out half your daily calories at once sounds really extreme. Maybe something to look at.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
Just thought of this post last night. I was reading a story about the World Health Organization proposing new rules for sugar intake.
The recommendation for most people is 6 teaspoons or 25 grams.  There are 40 grams in just one regular soda.

pac_NW

• Stubble
  • Have the stamina to work on it until it's right
    • Take Next Steps
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
This YouTube video is compelling for quitting soda ... And sugar. Have you seen it?  It is from a physician at UCSF.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

snyder66

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 03:45:15 AM »
Have you tried drinking club soda?  Kombucha?

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 03:55:08 AM »
Club soda and flavoured stevia from Amazon cured me of the soda habit!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flavored+stevia

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »

Nothing to do with soda, but for the gout, try eating some cherries. I now keep some in the freezer for my husband because nothing else has ever helped, but I googled natural remedies, discovered cherries, and figured they won't hurt even if they don't help the gout. Near-miraculous improvement in just a couple of hours for him. Don't know if it'll work for you, but the worst case scenario is a tasty, healthy snack.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:01 AM »
Gout? Jeez, do you live on processed cheese?   I've never heard of anyone in modern times getting gout.

You got to get on a healthy lifestyle kick now.   Fruit, salad, lean meat and hit the gym at least 3 days a week.   What's next, the black plague?