Author Topic: Need help on career choice  (Read 2522 times)

gold384

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need help on career choice
« on: October 18, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »
hello all.    i graduated college with a chemistry b.s. this february and had  two short contract positions lasting togetehr 4 months.    then moved down to charlotte, nc to temporarily help my parents with some issues.   after some hunting, i found a job with significant commute from home.      for me, this job  would be extremely nice on my resume for experience.      now for some rough figures i have accumulated:

the salary would be roughly 37k for the 1 year contract.   the car is a 2002 camry with 124k miles on it, paid off.   

the commute would be round trip of 3 hours @ 118 miles total daily.      now, given consumer reports' rate of $ 0.58/mile to operate a motor vehicle and a rough total of 50 weeks/year i figure $17110 in estimated car expenses.   

on the contrary, a 1 bedroom apartment runs $650 and with utilities, food, etc factored, i estimate roughly $1100 total.   note this includes a 10% buffer for the unexpected.  so for 1 year, i estimate expenses at $13200 with this scenario keeping the old camry.    note this buffer does not include auto repairs costs.  those would be extra.

the car should be replaced soon, as on the past two years i have put in more than 2k in repair costs and maintenance.   i was in college at the time and had no money after rent, utilities, tuition, etc.   i worked two jobs @40-60 hours to graduate debt free, which is sweet.

third scenario is to stand pat and see if something else comes along.  which is dangerous since the jobs in chemistry are very few...   

so i am on the horns of a dilemma.    the town where its located is small, thus i prefer to commute to avoid the potential of becoming stuck in small town.     i would appreciate any advice on this matter.   thank you.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:51:54 PM by gold384 »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need help on career choice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
It's a one year contract. Get an apartment walking distance to the job, so that you don't even need a car.

Left

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 07:02:49 PM »
It's odd that a small town would have a chemistry position though that "looks good" on resume, if you are trying to get a large name on it. Unless they are the major employer in the area, in which case they might have housing assistance, or even contracts with local housing companies to provide an apartment.

I can think of other options but they are bad and involve taking on $20k debt... which isn't something you should be doing. But get a truck+trailer or rv and live out of it for the year... again really bad choice since you are taking on a lot of debt with no certainty of job after the contract is up and you would be committed to living in it for a while to get your money's worth out of it vs just renting.

I'd rent but why do you fear about being stuck in small town? If you are driving in each day... you can drive out as well to get away on weekends... plus you are renting, not buying a house so you wont be stuck there either. Renting would be best choice.

You didn't mention actual work hours... I only brought up the RV because I had a co-worker who worked 3 days (we worked 12 hour shifts) so he would sleep in company parking lot for 2 nights then drive home each week. He had the rv already so he didn't need to go buy one either. Ironically, he was just working to pay off the RV before retirement... he could have retired had he not bought the RV >.>

gold384

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
hey thanks for the replies all!

It's odd that a small town would have a chemistry position though that "looks good" on resume, if you are trying to get a large name on it. Unless they are the major employer in the area, in which case they might have housing assistance, or even contracts with local housing companies to provide an apartment.

I can think of other options but they are bad and involve taking on $20k debt... which isn't something you should be doing. But get a truck+trailer or rv and live out of it for the year... again really bad choice since you are taking on a lot of debt with no certainty of job after the contract is up and you would be committed to living in it for a while to get your money's worth out of it vs just renting.

I'd rent but why do you fear about being stuck in small town? If you are driving in each day... you can drive out as well to get away on weekends... plus you are renting, not buying a house so you wont be stuck there either. Renting would be best choice.

You didn't mention actual work hours... I only brought up the RV because I had a co-worker who worked 3 days (we worked 12 hour shifts) so he would sleep in company parking lot for 2 nights then drive home each week. He had the rv already so he didn't need to go buy one either. Ironically, he was just working to pay off the RV before retirement... he could have retired had he not bought the RV >.>

well, its a large global company with a manufacturing plant in the town.   i don't care what the company is or the name or title, i just want the experience and the strength from that to rise in the ranks.  i just worry that if i take it and put the location of the town on my resume, it would look on the resume like i live in this hillbilly town and well if we hire him we'd have to move him thing.    yeah, i would probably just walk like pbkmaine said or bicycle  while renting a one year lease on an apartment.  maybe i'm overthinking this huh?   yea, an rv would be cool but then this is the south and and an rv or trailer would make me feel really at home.  i want to avoid that here lol...     
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:29:21 PM by gold384 »

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:45 PM »
I would portray it to future employers as "I knew I could learn a great deal in that position so I was willing to relocate to that town."  Go for the job and live there. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!