Author Topic: resolved thank you  (Read 1405 times)

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
resolved thank you
« on: September 07, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:24:56 AM by PeteD01 »

ender

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need help from the community - strange and scary illness
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
Well, without a whole lot of context I'm not sure what I can add other than it sounds like an awful experience.

What does the initial diagnosis/treatment cost? Do you have a dollar value associated with it?

Why are you fixated on the US/Mayo clinic? Are there not similar places in other parts of the world that are cheaper?

I'm not really sure how you expect to raise enough with a gofundme type of approach if you can't pay for it from your stache, if you have enough to have FIRE'd it seems like you should (?) have enough to cover at least as much as you'd get from any reasonable gofundme.

Honestly, speaking personally as someone who is incredibly generous to these types of things normally, if someone who is young (idk your age, since you talk about FIRE I assume you aren't normal retiree age) moved to Europe and didn't work at all because they had enough saved then posted a Gofundme, I'd be pretty cynical about giving money.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
I actually have the opportunity to move close to one of the Mayo clinics and we have enough income to live there and pay for ACA insurance. What we lack is the funds for initial evaluation and treatment until we can obtain ACA health insurance.

So sorry to hear you're going through this!

Moving to the US from a foreign country qualifies you for a special enrollment period in the ACA marketplace. Even if you couldn't sign up for insurance taking effect right away in the month you move, you should be good to go at the beginning of the next month. You've been living with this condition for a year now. Could you go without much treatment for the first few weeks after you move?

Of course you would need to research the ACA insurance plan options in your new locale carefully to make sure you pick one that actually has the Mayo Clinic in its network. Do any of them?

Do be careful to tell them that you're not moving only to seek medical treatment, else you'll have to wait until open enrollment at the end of the year. Have another thing in mind (job opportunities, family in the area, got sick of Spain, something) to cite as another major reason for your move, a reason you'll plan to stay a while even after you get your condition under control.

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 12:34:15 AM »
Is your wife able to get a job to help pay for this?  If you need donations from people to stay retired when at least one partner is able to work, then you’re not financially independent and you’re not ready to stay retired.

PS - did the doctors in Spain rule out scurvy?

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
resolved
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:41:46 AM »
I actually have the opportunity to move close to one of the Mayo clinics and we have enough income to live there and pay for ACA insurance. What we lack is the funds for initial evaluation and treatment until we can obtain ACA health insurance.

So sorry to hear you're going through this!

Moving to the US from a foreign country qualifies you for a special enrollment period in the ACA marketplace. Even if you couldn't sign up for insurance taking effect right away in the month you move, you should be good to go at the beginning of the next month. You've been living with this condition for a year now. Could you go without much treatment for the first few weeks after you move?

Of course you would need to research the ACA insurance plan options in your new locale carefully to make sure you pick one that actually has the Mayo Clinic in its network. Do any of them?

Do be careful to tell them that you're not moving only to seek medical treatment, else you'll have to wait until open enrollment at the end of the year. Have another thing in mind (job opportunities, family in the area, got sick of Spain, something) to cite as another major reason for your move, a reason you'll plan to stay a while even after you get your condition under control.

You are right. I am not moving to the area´only´ to seek medical treatment. In fact, I am moving to avoid the local allergens here in Spain and the choice of area to move to is dictated by the opportunity of sharing  the residence with a dear friend and having social support around. This has always been our long term plan and is only happening somewhat earlier than anticipated. All our family is in the US and we need their support. Availability of good medical care is simply one aspect of the situation. It just looms so large because it is very important no matter under which circumstances.

Looking at everything, it looks like that my problem is a pre-existing condition which requires follow-up. I have no plans to leave the area even after improving (hopefully).

It looks like it comes down to that one can move for medical reasons and still be eligible for a special enrollment period as long as obtaining medical care is not the only or main reason for the move.

Thank you again, this is very helpful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:44:59 AM by PeteD01 »