Author Topic: Need help figuring out ACA options  (Read 5323 times)

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
Need help figuring out ACA options
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:17:36 PM »
I know there are some discussions on here about the Affordable Care Act but not finding what I need right off the bat. My basic issue is that I don't know who the expert is who I can pay to help me figure out what the best health insurance option is for me. For example, I recently met with a college financial planner and was able to figure out a lot of good moves in a one-hour meeting (how to play by the rules & move assets around in order to not break the bank paying for college). Similarly, I hire an accountant to do my tax return every year. It always saves me money. Who are the experts in this field and how do I find them? I know there are help phone numbers on the ACA website (I am actually going on the New York site), but I am looking for someone independent... an expert who can assess my health issues, income level, etc. and just tell me what damn plan to choose. Thanks.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Need help figuring out ACA options
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 08:35:05 PM »
They're called health care navigators. I assume you can find one in your area by googling that.

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
They're called health care navigators. I assume you can find one in your area by googling that.

Are they government employees (in which case they might not really have the incentive to help you get the best possible deal), or are there independent health care navigators also? Thanks for your help, mlipps.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »

Are they government employees (in which case they might not really have the incentive to help you get the best possible deal), or are there independent health care navigators also? Thanks for your help, mlipps.

I believe they're independent & paid mostly by non-profits, but certified by the government.

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Thanks so much, mlipps. I will get on this tomorrow. I was sure that I wasn't the only person who had figured out that there is a market for these services. Your help in much appreciated!

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
Is a negotiator the same as a broker? Thanks.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
Is a negotiator the same as a broker? Thanks.

No.

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
Sorry, I wrote negotiator when I meant navigator. What is the difference between a broker and a navigator when it comes to searching for health insurance? Thanks.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
Broker sells you a plan and gets a cut. Navigator shows you the different plan and might get paid one time for helping you Navigate. Broker keeps getting paid.

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
Good to know. Thanks. If the broker takes a cut, does he or she have the incentive to find the best plan for the money?

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
Good to know. Thanks. If the broker takes a cut, does he or she have the incentive to find the best plan for the money?

No.

Are you perhaps overthinking this? Your last chance to sign up for insurance this year is this month. Just go to a navigator and get it done.

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »
I fail to understand why a navigator is needed...

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 03:20:02 PM »
I fail to understand why a navigator is needed...

I got insurance through the NY exchange today. I was able to speak with a navigator who was immensely helpful in aiding me to compare the plans. Also spoke with someone two days ago at nystateofhealth.ny.gov who helped a lot. In that case, I was unable to go to a place on their site to plug in my AGI from 2013, and she was able to do that for me. That brought my premium down considerably. So I got help from two sources and I am glad that I asked a lot of questions both here and elsewhere. If one is self employed and shopping for healthcare, it's either necessary to be an expert or get someone in your corner who knows their stuff.