Author Topic: Need Design idea for Investment property rehab  (Read 3187 times)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Need Design idea for Investment property rehab
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »
Now that you clicked it.  I need some creative ways to make this support beam in the master bedroom less ugly.

Any and all ideas are welcome!  (Yes I know that purple paint should be illegal! It will be painted soon lol) 

This beam appears to be VERY load bearing, so thats out...

Righty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Need Design idea for Investment property rehab
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »
The fan is what kills it - I don't think the beam is that bad.

Maybe mock duct work? Wood trim over to make it look like a beam?

tweezers

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Agree that its the fan, not the beam.  If you hate still hate it, look at Arts and Crafts ceiling designs.  However, that's probably overkill for an investment property.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Craftsman+Ceiling+Designs&FORM=RESTAB

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
Lose the ceiling fan and get rid of the texture on the ceiling and the beam.  Use a matte ceiling paint.  It will all blend together and be less noticeable.  I have a late 80's house with vaulted ceilings and beams and that's how we handled it.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:09 PM »
Yes the fan is absolutely terrible! I agree.  I think the long term is 2 seperate fans centered in each "half" of the room. 

What do you mean mock ductwork?   And I like the designer idea.  Part of me considered taking the plaster off, taking it down to the beam and sanding and staining it nicely.  I think the ceiling would need to be scraped flat to have good appearance.

Thanks for the replies so far!   Also as a side note, I will be living in this "Investment House" for a few years.   But it was bought with investment in mind.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:22:13 PM »
Lose the ceiling fan and get rid of the texture on the ceiling and the beam.  Use a matte ceiling paint.  It will all blend together and be less noticeable.  I have a late 80's house with vaulted ceilings and beams and that's how we handled it.

Are your beams exposed or drywall / plastered over?  And yes I think your right, the ceiling needs to be scraped for modern appearance.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »
Wow, I never realized how intrusive ceiling fans look.  Ive been in the south my whole life so its just a thing, but man they are ugly compared to flat ceilings with can lights..

affordablehousing

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
One other vote for moving the fan if possible but most importantly, GET RID OF TEXTURE. I'm all for ugly rental houses, that's part of what inspires people to buy homes, but there is nothing worse than drywall texture of any kind. The only good wall or ceiling is a smooth wall or ceiling.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
I have a vault ceiling with popcorn texture and a support beam that was drywalled over as well running right at the very peak of the vault. They installed the ceiling fan/main light in the center of the beam area. It's all painted the same color so it blends nicely. So re-positioning the fan and making sure the texture is knocked down and the whole ceiling/beam area painted the same like someone suggested would be the easiest fix.

I also think sheathing it with faux wood grain to look like a solid wood beam might be cool depending on the rest of the house's decor/paint choices being adjusted.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »
My ceilings and beams have knock down texturing, which appears relatively smooth from a distance.  The idea is to minimize the appearance of imperfections but blend everything together.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »
I second bringing it down to beam and staining, or at the very least adding wood veneer to make it look like a solid wood beam. Exposed wood beams are very popular and attractive nowadays. Would that fit with the design schema of the rest of the house?

And yeah that fan has got to be moved. Ick. lol

I've got light texturing on the ceilings of our rented apartment, not popcorn. almost like stucco with shallow scraped lines and such and I actually find it very attractive and blends in well. A million times better than popcorn.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
I noticed another house in this neighborhood is the exact same floor plan (appears that way from outside anyway.)    .

I may slip over there and see if they have done anything creative with the beam.  ( assuming they are friendly...) lol