Author Topic: Need Advice: Work No Longer Paying for Semi-Required Mobile Device  (Read 6431 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Since so many people are using their own devices, my company is letting all employees pay for their own mobile phone plans and removing all company-sponsored mobile phone plans.

I moved my personal phone to AirVoice Wireless months ago and have no more web connectivity via my phone.

Any idea what would be a good and cheap option to get work emails while on the run? It will be expected that I will respond to emails all the time even though they are not paying for a phone for me to do so.

At work, I could use wifi to get my work email on my personal device, right? And maybe I could do the same when I WFH?

With AirVoice, I have limited minutes so I am thinking I could finally get the VOIP phone I've not gotten around to getting for work calls.

If you have any other ideas, I am open to those too.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Need Advice: Work No Longer Paying for Semi-Required Mobile Device
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
Do they provide you with a laptop?

Ah, God. I'd tell them to take a running jump. No device, no replies to email when not at work. But I suppose that isn't.. what most people would do.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
Ah, God. I'd tell them to take a running jump. No device, no replies to email when not at work. But I suppose that isn't.. what most people would do.
That is exactly what I would do. And unless I am on call I would not be working outside of work hours anyway. I don't want to see work email when I'm not at work.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
I'd third that.  As someone who doesn't own a cell phone it would be difficult for me to check emails on one.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
I've gotta agree with the others here, OT.

WiFi at home or work for receiving and responding to timely email messages with a corporate device while on the clock is one thing... but no device, no mobile data reimbursement or calling plan and still required responsive 24-7? I'd tell 'em to take a long walk off a short pier.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »
Fifth'd.

We get work laptops. It is assumed that we will occasionally check on the status of runs, occasionally do a quick debug and relaunch a failing simulation or tool run. Total time average around 5 minutes (including boot time and VPN), multiplied by maybe once a night, maybe three or four times over the weekend.

People who are on call get phones. People who aren't don't. People who are on call know that when they are being hired or promoted. People who aren't, are not. Managers who treat employees as if they are on call, when they are not, very quickly get significantly less off-hours work being done - the guy or gal who might have wanted to get some work done in spare time no longer wants to.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:13:09 PM »
Agreed.  If they're not paying for it, they're not getting it. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »
Since so many people are using their own devices, my company is letting all employees pay for their own mobile phone plans and removing all company-sponsored mobile phone plans.

How generous of them.

Is your job highly compensated such that it's expected that this type of costs are built into your paycheck?

If not, I agree.  I would just tell them that regretfully, you do not have unlimited minutes (and in fact you have a fairly limited amount), so therefore you will be unable to take phone calls after hours if they unable to reimburse you for your costs.  In addition, you do not have a device that supports email on to go and therefore, regretfully will no longer be working additional hours at home.  You might need to bring in a bill to fight this one and provide proof, if they get cranky about it.

P.S.  At work, shouldn't you be able to receive emails at your desk?  If you don't have a desk (e.g. you work on cars), do you really get emails you need to respond to?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
Do they provide you with a laptop?

I do have a laptop. I have wondered when companies will get to the "bring your own" as far as computers go. I am sure that day will come.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:47 PM »

How generous of them.

Is your job highly compensated such that it's expected that this type of costs are built into your paycheck?

If not, I agree.  I would just tell them that regretfully, you do not have unlimited minutes (and in fact you have a fairly limited amount), so therefore you will be unable to take phone calls after hours if they unable to reimburse you for your costs.  In addition, you do not have a device that supports email on to go and therefore, regretfully will no longer be working additional hours at home.  You might need to bring in a bill to fight this one and provide proof, if they get cranky about it.

P.S.  At work, shouldn't you be able to receive emails at your desk?  If you don't have a desk (e.g. you work on cars), do you really get emails you need to respond to?

Good question. I do work at a desk, but sometimes I am in meetings all day. I could carry my laptop around with me to get emails.

When I was hired, I was given a device even though I did not ask for one. So, my compensation does not reflect a budget for a mobile device.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
Okay. Well, I guess I just won't answer emails as fast then.

It'll be the "new normal."

I know I don't need to convince you guys that paying $60-70+ a month of a phone with mobile is dumb. However, it seems a lot of people do that and companies think they can just shift this cost onto the workers without additional compensation. My company has some financial challenges, and this is one way they can cut a lot of costs. My concern is that the desire to be in constant touch with people won't go away even though the mobile phones are going away.

I hope I am not ostracized for not having constant connectivity.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »

I know I don't need to convince you guys that paying $60-70+ a month of a phone with mobile is dumb. However, it seems a lot of people do that and companies think they can just shift this cost onto the workers without additional compensation. My company has some financial challenges, and this is one way they can cut a lot of costs. My concern is that the desire to be in constant touch with people won't go away even though the mobile phones are going away.

I think it's key to just be upfront with your supervisors / key contacts.  Let them know why they should not expect a response as quickly.  Document.  Then, you have that documentation if anyone gets upset later at review time.

In the end though, only you know if this fight is worth it.

Re emails while away at meetings, I wouldn't worry.  Some in my organization are actually annoyed if people email during meetings as showing a lack of respect for those at the meeting.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

I think it's key to just be upfront with your supervisors / key contacts.  Let them know why they should not expect a response as quickly.  Document.  Then, you have that documentation if anyone gets upset later at review time.

In the end though, only you know if this fight is worth it.

Re emails while away at meetings, I wouldn't worry.  Some in my organization are actually annoyed if people email during meetings as showing a lack of respect for those at the meeting.

Yeah. I guess I was thinking of times when I am in meeting one and then get emailed during meeting one that meeting two is cancelled. And meeting two starts right after meeting one ends. I have times with a lot of back to back meetings.

People send out cancellation notices only a few min in advance sometimes. Company culture. I won't be able to change everyone's behavior. That'll mean I'll probably show up for meetings that were cancelled because I won't get the email...unless I carry my laptop around, which I could do and which would be useful to have for other reasons.

At my previous job, I did not get company email on a mobile at all. It is funny that my org giveth and then taketh away when I would have been perfectly find not having it for the past X years.

I think I'll tell my boss he can text me and give him my # *for texting only for emergencies** and keep that # out of the general circulation.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 07:30:35 AM »
I mentioned the texting idea to the boss.

I am certainly not buying a data plan just to get work email.

My raise is delayed--if any of us get one at all--and my health insurance is going up in price. Increasing more costs for myself makes no sense to me.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 09:12:57 PM »
I feel like this thread danced around the issue a little.

YES its unfair. But if you need to be competitive at work, or at least keep up, shall we say, its grin and bear it or leave. AMIRITE?

Are you around WiFi all the time? Do you do outside sales or something very mobile and need constant connectivity?

If you are around WiFi all the time there are tons of options. Any smartphone will connect to WiFi and connect you to your email.

You can do a voip setup very cheaply, I use Skype ConnectMe but I've heard great things about OBi boxes + Google Voice.

And there are reasonably priced unlimited plans out there. If you are only doing email 3G service will be FINE.

Tyler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
One of the best things I've ever done is to disable work email on my phone.  I didn't realize how addictive it was until I quit.  In the next meeting at work or trip to the grocery store, look around and observe how many people are staring at their phones and not paying attention to everything going on around them.  Are they really being productive?

FWIW, on an iPhone (and probably most smartphones, I imagine) you can still sync to your work calendar without also getting work email.  It's a simple setting, and I still do that just for the meeting notices.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
Thanks!

I mentioned the texting idea to the boss. He said that was fine.

I am need for occasional emergencies, but I do not work in sales.

Thanks for confirming I could do wifi with my current phone. Also, my boss told me today I could use his secret wifi for my laptop so I presume I could use it for my phone too.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
One of the best things I've ever done is to disable work email on my phone.  I didn't realize how addictive it was until I quit.  In the next meeting at work or trip to the grocery store, look around and observe how many people are staring at their phones and not paying attention to everything going on around them.  Are they really being productive?

FWIW, on an iPhone (and probably most smartphones, I imagine) you can still sync to your work calendar without also getting work email.  It's a simple setting, and I still do that just for the meeting notices.

Good point. I have been thinking it would be nice *not* to have work email access at home. Most of the time, I don't need it.

Even though I have a mobile, I rarely use it while with others. At an event the other day, five of my friends (at a gathering for someone visiting from out of town) were on their phones. I brought their attention to it. Later, I found out one was updating Twitter!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 10:19:19 PM »
No ring (tone), no getting jiggy constant email response. Simple as that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!