Author Topic: Need advice to pay down student loan debt!  (Read 2021 times)

shahs2015

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need advice to pay down student loan debt!
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
All, lets cut to the chase - my wife is $200K in student loan debt and I am $60K in student loan debt. 

What strategies would you suggest to begin climbing out of this debt?  We are currently on the Income based repayment plan. 

Thanks,
RS

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Need advice to pay down student loan debt!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »
All, lets cut to the chase - my wife is $200K in student loan debt and I am $60K in student loan debt. 

What strategies would you suggest to begin climbing out of this debt?  We are currently on the Income based repayment plan. 

Thanks,
RS
You haven't really given enough info to go on.  What sort of income do you have?  Do your loans have different interest rates?  How many loans are there?  The best way to get help is to do a case study.
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-write-a-'case-study'-topic/

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:59:21 PM »
Yes, we need more info. How much income do you have, and where does it go? What are the payments you are making right now on the loans?

Without specifics we can only give vague answers: cut spending (cable, eating out, etc.) and throw money more aggressively at the loans.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
General advice: spend less, earn more, repay the highest interest rate debt first. Give us more specific information about your situation and we can give you more specific advice.