Author Topic: Need Advice Re: Travel Health Insurance & New Employer  (Read 2379 times)

young canadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need Advice Re: Travel Health Insurance & New Employer
« on: March 17, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »
Hi all,

So I'm starting a new job, and will be travelling to the UK for ~2 months to train at head office, and then will be returning to Ontario to work for the company's Canadian branch (I am from Ontario, Canada). I have accepted that because the company is small that health benefits will not be offered at this time, but will likely be offered in the future, and I will be getting my own private health coverage when I move back to Ontario (but am also covered by OHIP - Ontario's universal healthcare program). I inquired about them providing me with travel health insurance while I am travelling for business, and they assured me that I would be "covered under their company's insurance policy should anything happen and I fall ill".

As my start date is fast approaching, I'm concerned about not having anything concrete that says that I am covered with respect to health insurance while I am travelling on business. I am hesitant to take their word for it and want something more concrete. Am I out of place to ask my employer for something more concrete? Do I ask them for a copy of their insurance policy? I received a quote from a Canadian bank and they quoted me ~$160 for health insurance for the duration of my trip. Do I ask the company to pay for me to take out my own policy? I'm concerned that they'll be ticked off that I keep pushing the subject and insist they give me something more concrete (as this suggests perhaps that I do not trust them) or insist that they pay for me to get my own travel policy?

Your thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:15:43 AM by young canadian »

young canadian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Need Advice Re: Travel Health Insurance & New Employer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:05 AM »
Company came through! Travel health insurance documents are on the way.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Need Advice Re: Travel Health Insurance & New Employer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:24 AM »
Nice. Well done making sure you're covered. :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!