Author Topic: Need advice on helping friend find a used work van  (Read 1558 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Need advice on helping friend find a used work van
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »
I've been helping some family friends who were facing eviction in December.  It's a long story, but at this point they are almost out of the woods; we helped them get a bridge loan from a charity to pay for back rent, and I found some handyman work for the dad, who is a skilled tradesman. I'm lending him our car to get to and from his job, but obviously this is very inconvenient to me.

He's now going to be making $250-300/day for the next couple of weeks, so once he has cleared his bills for the month, he should be able to spend $2K on a vehicle of his own. What's the best way to go about this? 

He needs
- a van or minivan would be best, for use in transporting materials
- to transport his family of 4
- as few catastrophic repairs as possible; he lost his last job when his old car died
- good mileage
- low or no monthly payments as his wife has part time work for only $1400 a month and he is frequently fired (ADD, can't be on time to save his life)
- appearance not important

Should he take his chances on Craigslist? I'm concerned that any van for sale that low will have a lot of problems; passenger cars may be sold by fools who just want a newer model, but I imagine that the choice to sell a work vehicle will be more rationally based. In other words, there won't be any bargains.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Need advice on helping friend find a used work van
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »
We sold an older minivan on Craigslist that would have been perfect for this. Lots of people upgrade to newer vehicles from older minivans.  I wouldn't be any more nervous about a minivan than a car off of Craigslist.  Of course, any older vehicle is a little bit of a gamble.  No idea on the full size vans. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »
Well, this is random, but if he's in the Chicago area, pm me. Might be able to make some connections re trades work.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »
Thanks @Sibley !  He's in the NY metro area, an expensive place to live for sure, but it's hard to move when you have roots in an area. @ericrugiero, it's good to know that people aren't selling just lemons on craigslist. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 04:32:25 PM »
Maybe he needs to have his ADD properly addressed, so he doesn't keep getting fired.  Is non payment of rent what led to the eviction?  Seems like this is the base problem.  How long can they afford any vehicle if he loses his job again?

Tester

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 04:55:05 PM »
Agree with getting the ADD addressed. It seems he is skilled and can earn more than 5000/month, keeping that kind of job for longer will help a lot.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 05:56:24 PM »
Yes, we are working on all his problems at once including his ADD. But the bills still have to be paid meanwhile. I have been advising his wife to look for a steady job (though she has health issues) and he should be home with the kids, taking on occasional higher-paying job that he can do while they are in school. He's a good dad and does all the cooking and cleaning anyway.