Author Topic: Need advice - looking for a roommate  (Read 4867 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Need advice - looking for a roommate
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:20:56 AM »
So, my husband is going off to grad school 2 hours away in the fall and is planning to come home as many weekends as he can. I'd like to be able to go to him when he can't do that, and maybe go to him two days a week every week (I've got my schedule arranged so I have to be on campus three days a week and can work remotely the other two consecutive days).

We own a very remote home out in the woods. We have two cats and two Great Danes who would need care the days I'm gone. Neither of us really wants me to be completely isolated here the days he's gone and I'm going in to work.

So, a roommate who likes nature and animals seems the perfect solution. But finding one is proving difficult. The area is fairly remote - it seems everyone who works here has a place already, usually owned. People from further away, including the college where I teach, are put off by the drive (35 miles in one direction to the town where the college is and 40 in another to a small city). The locals who don't have a steady place to live seem to have encountered the local meth epidemic.

So, any ideas on finding a roommate who isn't on drugs, isn't crazy (in a dangerous way; I can handle eccentricity), and would like such an arrangement? I'm not looking to make money here, though at a minimum I'd want to split utilities somehow that makes sense to all concerned.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Need advice - looking for a roommate
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
You may have to consider paying someone to check in on the animals occasionally while you're away.

That doesn't really address trying to avoid me being alone in the woods, though.  If it comes down to that, either I just won't go (but that means even longer stretches of isolation, at least five days a week), or we'll get him a rental where I can take the dogs and leave the cats here overnight with a feeder.

But we wouldn't want to leave the place completely unattended anyway even though it's gated, not if we can help it. I just can't imagine we're the only people who want to live in the woods; I just don't know where to look for such people aside from my own circle and their contacts.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 12:05:23 PM »
How about a retiree?

I came across a service that helps people get a mature roommate - SilverNest(.com)
Snips from their press release ('15):
Safely and seamlessly establish homesharing arrangements.
Kind of like a long term Airbnb mixed with Match.com for seniors.
It matches prospective roommates with people who have extra room in their house. Fill out a survey about your personality and your home, and their proprietary software will help match you with a suitable roommate. The company will help you draw up a lease, run a background check, and even process payments. It’s a one-stop shop.

I have no affiliation with SilverNest.  Just sharing the info. I came across as a possible income source.

I trust you would give a break on rent for the weeks they are home and pet sitting for you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:07:31 PM by HipGnosis »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:04:19 PM »
A retiree could be ideal, thanks. I'll look at the service.

I'm not even interested in charging any rent at all for the right person, just a fair share of utilities and part-time dog and cat sitting.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
Post a listing on craigslist, advertising your place for rent, and see what you get for replies.

Your distance from work/university is likely going to severely limit your applicant pool, but that's the nature of the game.

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
Maybe an artist? They might like a cheap place to live that's isloated so they can concentrate.

Poeirenta

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »
Maybe advertise in The Caretakers Gazette? Yours is not a traditional caretaking gig, but you'd be reaching a demographic that's in the right frame of mind, potentially.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »

I'm not even interested in charging any rent at all for the right person, just a fair share of utilities and part-time dog and cat sitting.
I'd be afraid advertising it as 'free rent for occasional pet care' would draw people that would say most anything to get free rent.   And I think doing it for 'free' limits your legal options if things go awry.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »

I'd be afraid advertising it as 'free rent for occasional pet care' would draw people that would say most anything to get free rent.   And I think doing it for 'free' limits your legal options if things go awry.

Good points there. Some rent, then. I'm not quite ready to open up for advertising yet, I don't think; one more try for someone we know or a friend of a friend.

And I think I'll go and talk to the secretaries at the local schools. If any of them is hiring a newly certified teacher from out of the area, for the fall, they should be looking for a place shortly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!