Author Topic: Need a spending intervention - HELP  (Read 39334 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Need a spending intervention - HELP
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2021, 05:09:39 AM »
What a great update! Congratulations!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2021, 11:35:40 AM »
Absolutely FANTASTIC!

I was going back through this thread and read your first message of desperation 5+ years ago. Honestly with your follow-up messages I really was thinking there was no way you could make it.

As you probably know by now, much (most) of getting out of debt is changing your attitude. You started with "Oh poor me I'm addicted to retail therapy".

Clearly you took big steps and got some much needed increases in income.

Now you are on the other side and "interest" is working FOR you.. Doesn't it feel good to be seeing your networth increasing every months?

Doesn't that feel better than the monthly guilt trip of buying new clothes to make you feel better and ending up deeper in the hole?

Now the trick is to keep going. You have a choice now of course to spend a little because you CAN afford it.. Or.. Choose to still not spend any money and watch your NW increase even faster.. Or somewhere in between.

My personal weakness is tools.. This weekend I wandered through the tool store intending to buy $7's worth of welding rods.. Ended up spending $70... And yes I felt guilty. My challenge is learning to feel good about spending money after 59 years of being tightwad!

Anyway, your turn around story is inspirational and dammit I'm proud of you!

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2021, 05:01:03 PM »
Thank you so much!  I just put my head down and kept plowing money into savings.  Turns out I got rid of most of those clothes :/ lol.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2021, 05:06:56 PM »
Here's one more pair of clapping hands. Great update!!

Do you feel more in control of your life now? More optimism? Compound interest is a pretty amazing elixir.

Daisyedwards800

• Bristles
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2021, 05:07:30 PM »
Here's one more pair of clapping hands. Great update!!

Do you feel more in control of your life now? More optimism? Compound interest is a pretty amazing elixir.

Yes.  I was in a really weird place!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2021, 05:54:22 PM »
It is interesting to me that the people who blow me off use one of three excuses.

1) Not interested
2) Sounds nice but its just too hard
3) What you are describing will spoil my fun so why would I want to make such sacrifices?

#3 is always interesting to me as implies there is less fun in watching one's NW grow exponentially compared to whatever they are doing now (usually in deep hole of debt).

I guess I have been enjoying my NW increasing for so long (well OK 25 years) I can't why its so much "fun" being under water..