Author Topic: Need a News Source  (Read 2270 times)

Bumbles8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Need a News Source
« on: October 10, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »
Hello all Mustachians,

I come before you today to request “good” news sources I can use on the internet. 

I have been slowly trying to reduce my smartphone usage - deleted Facebook, stop going to dumb sites, but still want to get some national and international news.

I would prefer the news source to have as little bias as possible, but I understand this is difficult.  I also would like it focused on relevant news - not what celebrity got married or divorced. 

Additionally, if you use any cool news source that is focused on science, I would love to hear about it too.

Thank you in advance.  This has always been a great group for new, well thought out ideas.

Kl285528

• Stubble
Re: Need a News Source
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 06:25:34 AM »
I listen to NPR every morning while making coffee and breakfast. I use the TuneIn Radio app on my phone to listen to my local public radio station. Seems like the most intelligent news source.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
NPR, and BBC World Service.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 06:58:48 AM »
NY Times or WaPo if you feel like paying (avoid the opinions section and they are remarkably unbiased)

Agree with Kris, NPR and BBC for publicly-funded news sources.

ArsTechnica is a technology and science-based news site.

If you like magazine-style reading you can't go wrong with the MIT Technology Review.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
Reuters is good. It focuses on international and business news.

For fun I like to browse IFLScience.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »
WSJ for my money. Lots of national and international news. But what I really like is the curation, or culling of the news. You could look up 500 articles on your favorite incident on the internet, or you could read the two in the WSJ and know everything you need to know.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 12:51:11 PM »
 Another vote for Reuters. I can't remember any "celebrity" garbage in many years of reading it. Plenty of US focused articles, and their longer " special " articles are in depth and well done. 

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
The Guardian is by far the best.  Bloomberg is a close second but now behind a pay wall.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 01:20:04 PM »
I pay for The Economist and also agree on NPR. I’m not against any of the others mentioned either, but have a very limited bandwidth for consuming news.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 01:21:18 PM »
BBC and CBC cover most of what I use for news.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 08:04:10 AM »
I'll throw in a recommendation for Vox. Its style can be a little casual at times opposed to more formal news writing, which you may or may not like.

I don't real the WSJ, but the consensus among the people I know who do, is the news sections are very good and the editorial sections are very bad.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
My kids are homeschooled, and they watch CNN 10 for current events.  It is, in my opinion, one of the best news reports you can get.  Unbiased, explains the issues sufficiently, covers a fairly broad range of topics, and is enjoyable to watch (as opposed to news reports intended to rile people up).  Sure, you have to watch it instead of read it, but it's great.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »
I pay for The Economist and also agree on NPR. I’m not against any of the others mentioned either, but have a very limited bandwidth for consuming news.

In my pre-MMM days, I also paid for The Economist.  I like the international coverage, and because they're not based in the U.S. their biases are at least not U.S. right/left biases.  After joining MMM, I looked for places to cut and found that my library offers digital copies of the Economist!  I now can read it on my tablet without paying anything (or I should say it's included in the taxes I pay that go to the library system...)

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 12:20:16 PM »
I'll throw in a recommendation for Vox. Its style can be a little casual at times opposed to more formal news writing, which you may or may not like.

I was a huge fan of Wonkblog, so when that team left the Washington Post to start Vox I was excited.  After about 2 years of religiously reading Vox I realized that whenever they posted on a topic that I knew about they got lots of basic facts wrong and often framed the issues in a distorted way.  I may have just hit on a few of their weaker areas, but I finally had to stop reading Vox because if they were getting the topics that I knew about wrong I just couldn't trust them on the ones I didn't know anything about.  YMMV. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

In my pre-MMM days, I also paid for The Economist.  I like the international coverage, and because they're not based in the U.S. their biases are at least not U.S. right/left biases.  After joining MMM, I looked for places to cut and found that my library offers digital copies of the Economist!  I now can read it on my tablet without paying anything (or I should say it's included in the taxes I pay that go to the library system...)
Nice! I’ll have to look into that.
Though I do like the print addition for those midnight feed sessions with my baby...

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »
Agree with most of the above, but I personally primarily go to NPR and the BBC for news.

For optimistic news specifically, you could try out Reasons to be Cheerful:
https://reasonstobecheerful.world/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:10:15 PM by Watchmaker »

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
For optimistic news specifically, you could try out Reasons to Be Cheerful:
https://reasonstobecheerful.world/

Hadn't heard of that one, thanks.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
I got this from an Off Topic thread.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/intro-to-the-media-bias-chart/

I get The Economist print edition and it is too much information for me to consume in one week.  I look at NPR's website everyday.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!