Author Topic: Need a car for 6 months  (Read 2681 times)

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
Need a car for 6 months
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:10:30 AM »
Trying to helping out a family that has just arrived in the USA from Scandinavia.  They will be here for 6 months on a teaching fellowship and have 3 children over 5, under 11.  Trying to figure out a car strategy that makes financial sense.  Anyone have ideas?  I am thinking maybe a CarMax they could buy from and sell back to, take chances on a private party buy/sell...anyone ever found an extended period car rental company?

jjcamembert

• Stubble
Re: Need a car for 6 months
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:24:28 PM »
What are the requirements for the car? Is this for traveling the US or commuting? Do you have a choice of where you live?

Is there car sharing in your city? (e.g. ZipCar) That would be your best bet if not using the car for commuting.

If you have the time and patience, I think buying an older car from a private party would be your best bet financially. You should be able to sell it again for around the same price. However of course you run the risk of being stuck with the car (or selling it for a really low price) if you have no buyers.

I would avoid CarMax because they make money by charging more to buyers and paying less to sellers. You will surely be left short some money there. They also don't usually stock older cars.

I have looked into long-term rentals myself but never found anything worthwhile for my needs.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
I've known a couple of people who used long-term car rentals and did well with them, I think I'd rather pay the 300-400 a month for that and not have to worry about repairs , reselling etc. for such a short time.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
Is this in an urban area with a lot of public transit (like nyc, SF, Chicago)?  If so, they should use transit, car sharing, bike, taxis, and rent as needed.

The Carmax idea is not a good one, because you're buying "high" and selling "low".  An older car purchased and sold privately is your best bet.  You can also research used cars that hold their value well.  An extreme example is Jeep Wrangler, if you don't mind crappy gas mileage.

Capsu78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 02:39:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies- they just arrived and have not figured out what options they have locally and unfortunately I am helping them from afar so I don't know what their intended needs and usage looks like.  ANYTHING here looks like a deal to them coming from Scandinavia!  If I were closer I would definitely help them with a private party buy/sell deal too.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »
Is this in an urban area with a lot of public transit (like nyc, SF, Chicago)?  If so, they should use transit, car sharing, bike, taxis, and rent as needed.

The Carmax idea is not a good one, because you're buying "high" and selling "low".  An older car purchased and sold privately is your best bet.  You can also research used cars that hold their value well.  An extreme example is Jeep Wrangler, if you don't mind crappy gas mileage.

An older Wrangler for 3 kids? I thought older Jeeps only had two rear seats?

I second the Zipcar or other extended car rental service. Maybe even Turo/RelayRides if you can find a person who will give you a long term discount.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!