Author Topic: Nausea During Pregnancy --> Lots of Take Out - Solutions or Tips?  (Read 21898 times)

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
Re: Nausea During Pregnancy --> Lots of Take Out - Solutions or Tips?
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
On male-bias, or anti-female, or what-have-you.

I do think we need to relax just a wee bit. I was about to comment that perhaps if the person posting about the diamond rings had reworded it just a bit, maybe it'd have been ok. Then I reread and saw that it already had the "correct" wording (I was going to suggest that it be edited to read "most", but saw it already said "generally"). I didn't find the comment anti-woman. Instead, I found it anti-consumerism. Or anti-anti-MMM. I don't find offense at posts that infer that MOST men like their gadgets, or sporty cars. Because it's most likely true. Not pretty, but true.

Also, the founder of the site is male. Most members on this forum are male. So that means the majority of posts that are complaining about the poster's spouse/partner, are in fact complaining about a female. To change this, just #1 point out if someone says something offensive (sometimes we just might not know) and #2 get more women posting on the site. I've seen several threads where the op was a woman, and complaining about her husband/boyfriend, let's get more of them! Edit: I'm not saying MMM makes posts complaining about women; in fact he does his complaining rather gender-neutrally. What I mean is, being a man writing from a man's perspective, he attracts more of a male audience to this site, and most men (er...most people) aren't sophisticated enough to write in such a gender-neutral way.

BTW...easy enough to forgive the newbie mod who initially moved this...but who is the one who asked to have it moved? Was he/she a newbie too? Just curious, hopefully the offender won't actually be pointed out (else I'd be even more wary about using the "report this post" feature).

As to the actual topic of the thread; no one's asked about their finances! It's one thing to say "go for it!" if you're out of debt and have a healthy emergency fund; it's another if you're up to your neck in credit card bills. Assuming your financial house is in order, I'd agree to loosen up just a bit. Whether upping the actual food budget, or making a separate "baby made me do it!"category.

And to merge both topics together; sometimes threads like these make me rethink things that I've done/are doing, as they show me the other person's point of view. Perhaps I should have upped our grocery budget when my wife had cravings; then again I did go on lots of dates where we ate sushi (sometimes I'd just watch, I was sushi-ed out). Gives me something to think about.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:44:27 PM by josetann »

Lanny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
Thank you for starting this tread, I'm just about 12 weeks myself and haven't been able to look at meat or eggs for at least 6 weeks. I'm hoping the end is near, but appreciate all the suggestions provided, the last few days have been really difficult.

homemadelatte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
My midwives said to eat whatever I could during the first trimester and not to worry too much about what I was eating. It was a lot of cereal, toast, waffles, pancakes, cheeseburgers, fries, chips - all sorts of unhealthy stuff! I did eat a lot of fruit as well during that time, but I was sick until about 20 weeks with both kids. Diclectin didn't even help all that much, although it took the edge off.

I liked a previous poster's idea of making something in the crockpot and then freezing it if it's not appetizing. You'll appreciate the frozen meals once the baby is born and your tastebuds are back to normal!

Hang in there, the first trimester is so tough!

sunflower_yellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2015, 08:16:57 AM »
Bumping (heh) up this very old topic.

I am CONSTANTLY nauseated.  Not just a little "oh, I think I'll sip a cup of ginger tea," but a "MR SUNFLOWER I SMELLED YOUR BURP FROM THREE ROOMS OVER NOW I CAN'T SIT UP STRAIGHT YOU A@(F*H#RC*# YOU!!!"  Interestingly, the pukes haven't started (yet).

Since morning sickness kicked in, our weekly food spending has gone up substantially.  Tolerable one day is intolerable the next.  Snacking constantly - empty stomach makes the nausea painful.  At work, I run to the little natural grocery store around the corner to pick up whatever I think I can handle when my home-brought lunch makes me cross-eyed.  A combination of the weird foods, the half-eaten and then discarded foods, the last-minute foods, and the prepared foods and my diet is the least Mustachian that it's EVER been.

Ok, enough venting.  I've heard several people mention that protein-rich foods helped keep the nausea at bay.  Can someone help me brainstorm protein-rich, frugal foods?  Current aversions include:
-Anything beef or pork or chicken or lamb/ mutton or fish (uh, so, I guess meat in general)
-Lentils
-Cottage cheese - OH GOD NO
-Eggs - this is new as of this morning, maybe it will pass

Grossly enough, the more processed the food, the more I feel able to tolerate it.  e.g. I could probably eat 2-3 chicken nuggets right now, but a bite of chicken breast would be impossible.

Oh, and someone mentioned spring rolls and McDonald's french fries.  Both of those sound AMAZING right now.  Maybe even together.  With ice cream.  I'm sure I could eat at least 3 bites of each before getting turned off.

Sorry if this is only marginally Mustachian - it's just an expense that I did not anticipate before getting pregnant, so I'd like to manage it as best I can!

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Two things helped me during pregnancy: 

- I needed to eat some type of grain as quickly as possible in the morning.  Crackers, toast -- didn't matter, but it had to be quick and it had to be dry.  No oatmeal, etc.  Only after something grainy and dry was down my throat could I manage a beverage.  Oddly enough, friends had opposite experiences, which leads me to believe it's an individual experience.

- Never empty, never full.  That is, I was usually better off when I kept a little bit of something in my stomach.  If I reached "empty" or if I overate, nausea was worse.  The school nurse gave me a great hint:  She told me to make a peanut butter sandwich (I didn't want jelly at that point), cut it into four pieces, and eat one piece between each 90 minute class.  It really worked. 

Regardless of what I did, sometimes I was sick anyway.  It's easy for those of us who aren't pregnant to say, "Oh, it'll pass".  And it will, though you may not feel like that's true right now. 

As for this not being a female-friendly board, that's true.  However, it's not a board particularly filled with nice people.  Lots of arrogance, lots of looking down on others for not holding the same financial values.  It's a board populated with INTJs (and I am one), and it's a board populated with engineers (every guy I ever dated was an engineer or an engineering student, and I am married to an engineer); engineers do have an odd personality that comes off as cut-and-dry frequently.  Engineers aren't known for their people skills.  I always figure that's what it is.  I read the board for information and always remember I can click away when I please.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 05:58:22 PM by MrsPete »

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2015, 06:25:13 PM »
What about string cheese or yogurt as sources of protein for you? With my third pregnancy, I constantly craved a large glass of whole milk. I couldn't get enough of it.

With my first pregnancy, I rarely if ever took medication for my morning sickness. I just put up with the nausea. With my second pregnancy, I had a young kid to care for, so I had to do something. The Unisom/B6 combo worked wonders for me. The third pregnancy, I had to get two other kids out the door every morning by 7:30. In that case, I basically survived on a morning Zofran. There was no other way to quickly get myself over the morning nausea in time to get out of the door. That is a wonder drug.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
Rice, beans, cheese, yogurt, quinoa, granola. Having high fat can also help. Try cream cheese or olives. Cook veggies in oil, mix with cheese. I used to eat cream cheese and olives mixed with hardboiled eggs and spread on toast. Obviously you would want to omit the hardboiled eggs if you made this.

How about pepperoni or salami?

Good luck. It is rough. The first trimester is all about survival. With my first I could barely function and just ate everything in sight. With my second I ate Chipotle at least 4 times a week.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
Based on news reports about the Duchess of Cambridge that I've seen, morning sickness can escalate to serious problems. Ladies, if you're having lots of trouble, make sure to talk to your doctor. If you need meds or other assistance, no shame.

TrMama

« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »
Ugh, I had full blown hyperemesis in both my pregnancies. I survived on $1K/mo drug cocktail. It was horrible. We also spent a ton of extra money on keeping the house warm, since I was home in bed a lot of the time and being cold made the nausea worse. Food costs were the least of my problems.

For anyone in the US, diclectin is now available there as diglegis. This med is great because it knocks you unconscious. Also add an antacid like Zantac to help with the "barf sitting at the back of your throat" feeling. Zofran is also great.

Yes, foods with protein are supposed to help stabilize your blood sugar. Eat like a diabetic. Also, cold foods smell less than hot ones. I found protein bars were the least disgusting thing I could think of. They come in different flavors, have vitamins added and don't smell. Highly processed foods are also good, because they taste the same coming up as they did going down. Think canned soup, cheesies, frozen waffles, etc.

Finally, stay hydrated since dehydration makes the nausea worse. Any liquid will do.  I subsisted on lime flavored carbonated water for months. IV fluids were the bomb.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 07:00:30 AM »
I agree about staying well hydrated. Seriously, do the best to can in that area.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 07:33:04 AM »
Just get through it and don't worry too much about the money in this instance. I ended up thoroughly cooking a lot of hamburgers for my wife when she was pregnant. We bought Goldfish at Costco that she kept at her desk at work, and I think we re-upped every other week.

And the green beans. So many green beans.

And the Chik-Fil-A.

Seriously, you're not going to be pregnant, likely, more than 4 years of your life and that's a huge family by modern standards. It's much more important to feel secure than to try to balance nausea and frugality. You won't have time to spend much money once the baby comes, anyways.

Torgo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »
I'm reminded of when a family member was going through chemo (successfully!) and she only craved/could keep down thick goopy fast food milkshakes and hamburgers.  The proper response during that time was "Yes ma'am, right away ma'am."

Try the alternatives but don't stress too much if they don't work out.

sunflower_yellow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
Thank you all, so much, for your responses.  Food makes me feel so awful that I have a hard time brainstorming, because I'll think about FISH or COTTAGE CHEESE and I'm just like WHaruulugghhhhhhhh.  Just like that.

Here are some of the ideas that I saw and liked (or at least didn't make me gag):

-No hot foods:  YES, that makes so much sense!  I have been wanting mostly cold or frozen foods, anyway.
-Protein bars:  yeah, I should try more of these.
-Yoghurt, specifically greek:  I just have to keep rotating flavors, I seem to be able to tolerate something but if I have too much it becomes an aversion
-Cream cheese
-Whites of hardboiled egg:  though I have a feeling this one will get intolerable quickly
-Pepperoni or salami:  this is interesting.  It will either work, or fail spectacularly
-Granola and other cereals:  duh, why didn't I think of this
-String cheese:  yes please
-Unisom/ B6:  just talked with my midwife about it.  Going to give it a try.

I am almost certain that I'm dehydrated.  I used to drink 3-4 liters of water a day.  Now I'm lucky if I can get down a few cups of water.  That magic "constant urination" thing?  I think I pee less now than I did before I got pregnant.  It's just that plain water is so...  gross...  and unfortunately, water with a squeeze of lemon also got gross after a few days.  I should try some of those flavored fizzy waters.  The fizzy actually feels good in my stomach.

This is much harder than I thought it would be.  And yeah, I'm basically in survival mode right now.  I think the most mustachian thing to do is learn to cope like a morning sickness badass, and therefore be able to keep my job.  :o)

Winter's Tale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
Wow, such a blast from the past! I am the OP, and my baby just turned one year old.  How funny to look on this post now! I do not miss those days of morning sickness one bit.  Good luck to you.  As for what I actually did, my focus was just to get through each day and keep my job.  Mustachianism went on the back burner.  I'm sorry to say that I ate a lot of boxed mac & cheese during those early weeks because that was the only thing I could stomach.  I totally know what you mean when you say a gross food thought will pop in to your head.  I felt haunted by the thought of lobster during my first trimester.

Here are some other things that worked (sorta) for me:

-Constantly sucked on lemon drops (the candy with the rough sugar coating on the outside).  For some reason this helped keep that weird bad taste in my mouth at bay and helped with the nausea.
-Sipped on diet ginger ale
-Kept animal crackers by my bed, desk, and in purse.  Ate them first thing in the AM.  Don't know how much this really helped, and now I never want to have another animal cracker again, haha.
-I ate a lot of whole wheat pasta with butter or olive oil those early days.

I never had actual vomiting, just constant unrelenting nausea and queasiness.  Blessedly, it went away around week 14 or 15.  I don't know that anything I did helped that much, but even a little bit of relief is welcome when you're in it. Pregnancy is no joke.  You should feel proud of what your body is doing. 

Anyway, I wish you good luck in your pregnancy! Keep on keepin' on.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
My wife went through a lot of those Crystal Light water-flavor-or things to keep herself hydrated.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »
FYI - with the Unisom/B6 combo, take it at night, since the unisom part will likely make you drowsy. It doesn't work for some women, but if you are one of the lucky ones it works for, it can be a lifesaver. I find that it takes the edge of the morning wake up. I was actually able to get out of bed without feeling like I was going to die or dry heave.

It used to be a prescription combo made in one pill in the States, but then there was an unwarranted fear that it caused defects, so it was yanked from the shelves. Now you have to "make" it yourself with OTC Unisom and B6. Be sure to get the pill Unisom - not the gel caps. You take half with 50 mg of B6, but I'm sure your midwife already advised you. It is very safe. I believe it is still a regularly prescribed morning sickness remedy in Canada.

Obviously some people think you should never take any medications of any kind during pregnancy, but being miserable, not eating, or not being able to work at your job are not good either. I say it's a balance, and Unisom/B6 has been used for decades and decades.

TrMama

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
The unisom/B6 combo is now available in the US as Diclegis. It's the same as the Canadian version (Diclectin) in that it's a delayed released formulation. So it doesn't matter so much when you take it. The sleepiness also eases up a bit after you've been on it for a couple weeks.

On a mustashian note, I had my Dr and midwife prescribe the OTC meds so my insurance would pay for it. Prescription diclectin and zantac were way cheaper than buying OTC.

Another food idea is to eat plain canned beans. And seriously, processed foods were the bomb. The closest I got to a vegetable for months was Campbell's cream of broccoli soup.

Oh, and stop taking your prenatal vitamin. All the fillers and crud in those make the nausea worse for many women.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
Oh, and stop taking your prenatal vitamin. All the fillers and crud in those make the nausea worse for many women.

It's usually the iron in multivitamins that upsets people's stomachs. I'd be careful about not getting supplementation, especially if you're not up to eating a well-balanced diet. There's some speculation ( more among midwives, medicine seems less interested in morning sickness) that morning sickness is actually CAUSED by deficiencies in vitamins and minerals involved in the blood sugar/cortisol regulation process, such as Magnesium. They think the reason taking B vitamins helps some women is that it aids in the absorption of Magnesium, which is difficult in early pregnancy because of the higher progesterone levels.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:18:38 PM by chemgeek »