Author Topic: Name change and travel  (Read 1985 times)

TNT

• Pencil Stache
Name change and travel
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:54:52 PM »
I am divorced, and am considering changing my name back to my maiden name. Unfortunately, I didn't take the opportunity to change it as part of the divorce process (which would have made it free), but I have realized it is something it would benefit me to do, so I am probably going to pay to change it.

BUT...I just had my passport renewed last May, and would rather not pay $110 to get another one. If I book any international travel under the name that appears on my passport, can I continue to use it for the next 10 years even if my name has legally changed? It is likely that I would do this at least once a year.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Name change and travel
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
Carry the documents about the name change with you.

My wife took my last name after we got married, but didn't get around to legally changing it for a while, and also had a passport in her maiden name.  Flying if I forgot and booked with my last name for both of us was a bit of a pain in the rear, but as long as she had the documents to link things, it was fine.

Without, I think she got a patdown once, though I'm pretty sure she didn't collect a private room massage.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:35:31 AM »
You have a year to change your name for free on your passport.  After that you have to pay the full fee again.  So it depends how fast you can get the name change done.  I think it would be annoying and potentially difficult to travel on a passport that is not in your legal name for 9 years.  The U.S. part is not a problem, but I suspect you could run into problems entering other countries, even with your court name change papers.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 05:44:50 AM »
The $110 is a cost of doing business with the government.  There is no other competition for issuing passports, so you really don't have a choice.

If the name change is important to you, part with the $110 and move forward. 

ormaybemidgets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »
You have a year to change your name for free on your passport.

Yes, free if you can get it done before May: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/change-correct.html

TNT

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:53:03 AM »
I’ll definitelu do it before May, then! Thanks, this is really helpful to know.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:24:09 AM »
Until becoming a citizen last year, my wife's passport (Colombian) was always under her maiden name.

We just booked all our international flights under the name on her passport. Never had a problem. I don't think I've ever had to show a drivers license or other form of ID, besides the passport, when traveling internationally.

But if it's free, or you have bad memories of that name, go for it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!