Author Topic: My wife washed her pants with vitamins in the pockets...  (Read 10751 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
My wife washed her pants with vitamins in the pockets...
« on: August 30, 2016, 07:17:50 PM »
Now it wreaks of fish oil (because the vitamins contained DHA or whatever). She has washed them a couple times to no avail. I put them in the sun today and she said it doesn't smell as strong, but I definitely smell it still and it's gross. I was about to wash them on a sanitary cycle (extra hot water/steam) but am afraid of the pants bleeding - they're black jeans. I would wash them alone but don't want to be wasteful so I have them in with a batch of kitchen towels. So it seems I would need to wash these on warm/cold? Or should I wait for more dark colors? I just don't want the smell to spread to other clothes. Any suggestions on how to handle this? I've read that adding baking soda to the detergent should help. Also read about using essential oil. Or just leaving it outside for a few days even. I'd like to give them one more really good wash then just hang dry them outside though. Any suggestions?

Washing instructions on the jeans are "machine wash warm"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:23:14 PM by jplee3 »

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Re: My wife washed her pants with vitamins in the pockets...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
Try Dawn dishwashing liquid. It takes care of most of my grease stains.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:26:36 PM »
Try Dawn dishwashing liquid. It takes care of most of my grease stains.

Thanks! It's not so much the stains I'm concerned about as it is the smell. Since the pants are black, I can't even tell where the stains actually are anyway lol.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:33:58 PM »
Not sure if it would work out that kind of smell but I soak my smelly workout clothes in a wash tub with a half cup or so of baking soda.  I leave it to soak overnight and hand rinse the next day.  Couldn't hurt

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
Oh, yikes. I would try the Dawn (the plain blue, from the bottom shelf--not the Ultra or anything) because it seems like an oil problem. (As opposed to, say, BO lingering in clothes, which would be a bacterial problem to be treated by vinegar or Bac Out.) Let 'em soak. Oxy Clean is also good for biologicals. Good luck!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 07:51:42 PM »
I have tried everything and now just throw away anything that gets fish oil on it.

The smell will never come out. I couldn't stand it, even on rags.

Unless Jesus wove the fabric, throw the poor pants away and move on.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 08:11:25 PM »
There's a no-fragrance version of Febreze that gets rid of nasty smells (really) and is available via Amazon -- not too expensive.  Could be worth a try.

Nemesis.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Zazzle site
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:34 PM »
+1 for the Febreeze.
It's amazing the the smells I've gotten out with that stuff?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:03:10 AM »
What about using an enzyme cleaner. ;like they market for pet urine stains?  The microbes (?) destroy the organic oils, and then it doesn't smell anymore.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 04:52:57 AM »
What about using an enzyme cleaner. ;like they market for pet urine stains?  The microbes (?) destroy the organic oils, and then it doesn't smell anymore.

+ 1

MiL swears by Biozet laundry powder for pet odours.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 05:45:12 AM »
Why did your wife put fish oil capsules in her pocket?

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:26:28 AM »
I second the baking soda. If that doesn't work you can try soaking it in a vi gear solution. That has always worked with my smelly workout clothes

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 09:42:26 AM »
I am happy for someone to prove me wrong, but seriously, fish oil is a whole 'nother level of stink.

You guys are wasting your time with fish oil. 

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
Why did your wife put fish oil capsules in her pocket?

lol, well first, she doesn't recall 100% what was in there but the best logical conclusion which she vaguely remembers is that she would have put vitamins in her pocket with the intention of taking them a bit later. She was probably on-the-go or doing something where she was thinking "oh, I'll just stick them in my pocket, go to the kitchen, get some water, and take them there" but probably got sidetracked handling something that came up with our kid or whatever else.

As far as getting the smell out, I soaked it for probably 4-5 hours or so last night in the sink and used Palmolive oxi-clean, a few drops of Eucalyptus oil, and added some baking soda. Rinsed it out and then threw it in the wash with some kitchen towels on warm/cold. Added some Gain detergent from a new bottle and nearly a cup of baking soda. I'm letting the pants air dry now but the smell seems to have gotten much better. Of course, I'm afraid as the pants dry up more that the smell will become more prominent again. I'll probably hang dry them outside as the sun comes out. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:48:23 AM by jplee3 »

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:44 AM »
I am happy for someone to prove me wrong, but seriously, fish oil is a whole 'nother level of stink.

You guys are wasting your time with fish oil.

I don't think it was pure fish oil but vitamins containing fish oil/dha. Even if not, the pants still smelled like the ocean lol. I just checked them again, and the smell seems even more diminished but faintly there. A lot better than before though. As I mentioned though, we'll need to see how they smell when they're fully dry. So far so good though

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!