Author Topic: My Wife and Family Have Suffered Enough...I Need Your Help.  (Read 8496 times)

Ed Mills

• Stubble
  • Join the FI Revolution Y'all!
    • The Millionaire Educator
My Wife and Family Have Suffered Enough...I Need Your Help.
« on: March 04, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
Hey all,
I'm one of those crazy people who runs in Vibram 5 Finger "shoes."  I love them, BUT my favorite pair now stinks like roadkill.  I can't wear them in the house because they stink that bad.  I'd love to know what you do to unstink your Vibrams...please share.  Also, does anyone have any advise on how to re-sole my Vibrams.  Finally, where is the best online shoe stores to pick up Vibrams at the best price.  Thanks for any input you have.  My wife thanks you too.  Ed

JLee

• Walrus Stache

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
Re: My Wife and Family Have Suffered Enough...I Need Your Help.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 07:06:27 PM »
Might be a little late for this pair, but...

Wear socks!  I always did with my vibrams and had no smell.   Mr PoP did not and they stunk to high heaven.  Even washing in the washer only helped a little. 

Bonus, toe socks are insanely comfy and I wear them even with regular shoes when I can. 

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:59:07 PM »
A friend of mine regularly adds "shoe goo" to the bottoms of his.  Great place to buy them is "6 p.m."
It's Zappo's outlet.  They sell online, but the lowest prices are at their store, if you ever happen to be on I-65 just south of Louisville, Ky.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
Do you have a fungal infection / tinea? A really bad pong is usually a sign...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:07:52 PM »
I don't know what they are made of, or if it will survive heat, but when I had some wool slippers with major stank problems, I was able to fix them by boiling them for a minute or two. All the bacteria die from being boiled and you're back to square one, stink-wise.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
The bigger question is what's motivating you to still wear Vibrams when all the research has debunked their claims? I actually get angry at any trainer in the gym who wears them because it makes me think these people don't know what they are doing, they are just following a trend that's been disproven. Throw those nasty ugly shoes out and get yourself some of those lightly soled shoes.

Ed Mills

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys.  For the record, I'm not known for my stinky feet.  My Vibrams probably reek due to the fact that I've run in them every day for almost 8 months.  As for getting real shoes, no way Jose.  My back feels tons better now that I'm "barefoot" most of the time.  All my other shoes are "minimus" flat shoes; I'll never go back regular shoes.  I have a relative that constantly tells me about how bad Vibrams are for me.  I agree they are bad for you...if you run with a heel strike.  In that case, they will probably destroy your back, hips, knees, and feet.       

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
Probably to late for this pair, but a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol.  Get home spray em lightly, let them dry.  I do that with my sneakers and my wool boots and then they don't smell.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
The bigger question is what's motivating you to still wear Vibrams when all the research has debunked their claims? I actually get angry at any trainer in the gym who wears them because it makes me think these people don't know what they are doing, they are just following a trend that's been disproven. Throw those nasty ugly shoes out and get yourself some of those lightly soled shoes.

Please... walk a mile in someone else's shoes - get it? ;) - before you judge their choices. I have painful bunions and Vibrams have been amazing for me. Before I found them, I was wearing good, solid, sensible shoes (my podiatrist approved of them) that didn't make me look like a weirdo, to no avail. When I switched to Vibrams it was like I was a new person. Went from someone who grumbled about pain after 20 minutes sauntering on flat terrain, to someone who could happily do hour-long walks with my friends' dogs with fun sprints in between. I even went trekking in Nepal. It's not relevant when someone else says they don't do anything, I have experienced how it works for me and that's what matters. Presumably it works for other people who wear them regularly/frequently, too, otherwise they wouldn't do it. The suggestion that people wear them because it's "trendy" is so presumptuous. Everyone thinks they look funny, and they're not always socially acceptable (can't wear it to work, for instance), so if there was a way to get the same benefits in normal-looking shoes, making them versatile for various occasions, for a similar price or less, I'd say most of us would happily go for it. The novelty of their appearance isn't really that big a drawcard, especially in the long run.

But I digress. Back on topic. Which we shouldn't have strayed from in the first place.

To the OP, I've never had this problem with my Vibrams, but I've heard about it. So, I don't know if it helps, but I throw my Vibrams into the washing machine from time to time, and I place them in those fine mesh bags for some protection because I don't think it's good for the shoes to be tumbling around in the machine. In my case, just regular detergent on a hot cycle cleans them to my satisfaction. In your situation, maybe you should wash them more frequently, and also add vinegar and eucalyptus oil to the final rinse?

NewbieFrugalUK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 10:07:10 AM »
Washing machine! We live in the tropics and my husband runs in his. Fwiw all other shoes bugger up his knees and these don't...

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 06:31:50 AM »
@limeandpepper, that's great that they work for you and the OP.  It doesn't change the fact that their claims have been debunked, their own research was flawed and they've had to reposition their benefits because they were pulled up for false advertising. The minimalist shoes they make now get most people to the barefoot feel without looking like a dork or that you're not up on the research. I have had plenty of issues with my feet and the wrong shoes, but it pisses me off that these people misrepresent their product, so I don't trust them. And the barefoot movement was a trend.

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:34 AM »
I don't have experience with these shoes in particular, but I have been told that freezing those stinky foot wrappers will kill the smell.  Definitely recommend putting them in a plastic bag or something before putting them in the freezer.  Although if the stench is that potent, it might not be a sufficient stink eliminator.  Worth a shot, perhaps?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:18 AM »
I've used 5 Fingers for years with no adverse issues. I don't run unless their is a cop behind me with a gun though. On the stink issue if normal washing doesn't solve the issue go to a dive shop/surf shop and get one of special cleaners for wetsuits that's got funk fighting powers in them. There are a few options. I've used Mirazyme for sure. I've probably used others as well, but I don't recall which brands.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5002-458/MiraZyme-Odor-Eliminator---2oz

I typically wear my Five Fingers in fresh or salt water so they get soaked. When I am done using them I air dry them in the sun if possible. Occasionally when my wetsuits have gotten stinky I do a treatment of Mirazyme and throw the FF in. They've never become stinky enough on their own to need treatment beyond when I am doing a big load of gear.

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »
I'm an avid Vibram wearer and I second 6pm.  In my size, I can get the basic Vibram sprints for $17.  I ordered 5 pairs.  I've been lifting weights in Vibrams for 10 years now and would never go back. 

I run less than 2 miles at a time in them tho. because I only run when chased as well. 

Every human foot is different.  I had terrible plantar facilitis until I started wearing these.  I don't give a hoot what the research says, my body says these rock and I'll listen to my body every time.

QueenAlice

• Bristles
  • QueenAlice, PhD
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:09 AM »
I spray a tea tree oil solution on mine and scrub then throw in the washer once in a while, hang to dry.

Dilute the tea tree oil with some water and vinegar in a spray bottle (something like this: http://detoxinista.com/2012/10/homemade-all-purpose-cleaner/). I found tea tree oil shampoo at trader joes at one point and tried that. I think it worked ok.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
It doesn't change the fact that their claims have been debunked, their own research was flawed and they've had to reposition their benefits because they were pulled up for false advertising . . .  you're not up on the research. I have had plenty of issues with my feet and the wrong shoes, but it pisses me off that these people misrepresent their product, so I don't trust them. And the barefoot movement was a trend.

@ MrThatsDifferent -- you sound very cross.  As far as I know, Vibram settled that class action lawsuit, and it isn't the case that their claims were "debunked."  If people got injured wearing their products, I suspect it was because their form was bad, and/or they went at the transition too quickly. 

As far as barefoot walking/running being a "trend" -- no sir.  It's the way the human foot was designed to be used.     

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
It's the way the human foot was designed to be used.     

Indeed. Humans didn't evolve with Nike's on! ;)

I didn't buy FF because Vibram told me it was a good idea. I bought them because I saw that they would be a good for my feet and some of my sporty needs. I didn't read their research and I don't care about it either way. I am aware of what my body needs and I buy those items. FF work great for me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:53:50 AM by Retire-Canada »

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:37 PM »
Sign up for an account at www.slickdeals.net and then create an alert for "vibram." You will get an email anytime a deal pops up.

As someone mentioned, 6pm.com has pretty good deals periodically. Slickdeals will notify you when they do once you set up the alert.

Personally I don't like the finger shoes, but I love Inov-8 minimalist shoes. I don't run. Just wear them to work out and walk around all day.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
What about just not wearing your shoes in the house? That won't solve the stinky shoe problem, but it will solve the problem of the stinky shoes making your immediate vicinity in your house stinky. I don't wear shoes at all in the house. It keeps the house cleaner too, as you're not dragging outside dirt around on your floors and carpets.

Ed Mills

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
What about just not wearing your shoes in the house?

I always kick my Vibrams off right before I go into the house.  If anyone ever asks what the smell is, I'm going to use the Sasquatch defense.

khangaroo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
I've heard wearing toe-socks with them help.

I wash mine every month or so and that works. I usually let them air-dry. Febreeze them right after use also helps.

EdgewoodDirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 10:00:39 PM »
I literally registered just to answer this.

Try putting a sock full of (uncooked) rice in them when you're not wearing them. I was in a walking boot for months in the summer whilst moving houses and it smelled like death, despite my previously rarely stinky feet. Worse, I couldn't keep it away from me because, you know. I needed it to walk. I tried baking soda (meh), febreze, the usual... the rice was hands down the best.

As a side contribution, I wore Vibrams several years ago and they literally cured my knee pain that I had suffered from for about 15 years (since high school). Hooray! Then I tore my calf muscle, which I suspect was somewhat due to the vibrams (but probably mostly due to not warming up properly). I was a bit traumatized from that and never went back to them, but the knee pain never returned, for which I am profoundly grateful.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »
Washing machine and toe socks.  If that fails, soak them for a while in diluted white vinegar.

Rotate shoes too, especially if you get them sweaty on a regular basis.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 11:27:58 AM »
I have a ton of these shoes and they are mainly what I wear.  I don't run in them.  I do a load of shoes on hot every once in a while and that seems to take care of the problem for a bit.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
I literally registered just to answer this.

Try putting a sock full of (uncooked) rice in them when you're not wearing them. I was in a walking boot for months in the summer whilst moving houses and it smelled like death, despite my previously rarely stinky feet. Worse, I couldn't keep it away from me because, you know. I needed it to walk. I tried baking soda (meh), febreze, the usual... the rice was hands down the best.

Thanks for the tip, EdgewoodDirk.  That is super interesting.  Sorry about your calf muscle!  Hope it is better now. 

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
I used to have this issue due to excessive sweating on my feet. The I started sprinkling a little bit of Clotrimazole dusting powder on my bare feet before putting on any kind of footwear. It doesn't help control the sweat (Your body sweats for a reason, don't stop that) but it kills the odor causing bacteria/fungus whatever it is. So no more smell. Each bottle of powder costs about $6 and lasts almost 6 months or so. After using about 3 or 4 bottles, I don't need it anymore. I can wear any footwear with confidence. Hope this helps.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
The way I get added longevity out of my shoes is by taking old long socks and filling them with flour. I then add the flour sock to each shoe at the end of the day, and it removes the moisture. Bacteria love to grow where there's moisture! It's added 2x-3x lifespan to my shoes.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
The way I get added longevity out of my shoes is by taking old long socks and filling them with flour. I then add the flour sock to each shoe at the end of the day, and it removes the moisture. Bacteria love to grow where there's moisture! It's added 2x-3x lifespan to my shoes.

Great idea -- I gifted silica gel packs to my nieces for their ballet shoes (to keep sweat away between uses).   You can buy silica gel  / crystals on the internet.   There is also a large pack of silica crystal cat litter.  You could try storing your shoes in a bucket of that at the end of the day.  Those crystals are quite large and won't cling to the shoes.