Author Topic: My V-brakes are like this // instead of like this ||, huh?  (Read 2250 times)

Guses

• Pencil Stache
My V-brakes are like this // instead of like this ||, huh?
« on: December 03, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a noob, my V-brakes on my front wheel mountain bike are really crooked and form a parallelogram instead of a nice centered V.

The tricky part is that adjusting the brakes any other way causes my brakes to rub against the rim. What gives?

They work fine like that but it looks really weird. Is it ok to leave it like that or should I try to get them more "v" like? Also, how?

somepissedoffman

• Stubble
Re: My V-brakes are like this // instead of like this ||, huh?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:06:26 AM »
If you can get the brakes into 'V' formation (quack! quack! quack!), but that causes rubbing, it may be your wheel.
The wheel may be not seated properly, out of true, or not dished correctly, which would make it very difficult to get the brakes right.  It's worth verifying the wheel's ok before spending too much time futzing with the brakes.
good luck!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »
V-brakes go out of alignment for a variety of reasons.  They won't brake as well when out of alignment, will wear the pads unevenly, and will be more prone to squealing.  It's worth fixing.  Stuff to check (in order):

- Check that your wheels are true and you haven't broken any spokes.  (Maybe the brake is still in alignment, but the wheel is wrong).  You need a pretty straight wheel for your brakes to work properly.
- Check that your wheel is straight in the frame.  It's possible to clamp your wheel in at an angle.
- Check if the brakes move back and forth easily on their posts.  If they don't, unbolt them and grease the posts, then put them back on.
- Check that your brake pads haven't shifted or moved (happens sometimes if they're banged, or if they're not tightly screwed down).  If they are at a funny angle, unbolt them and realign them over your braking track.  They should not be hanging off the brake track, and should not be contacting your tire when you apply the brakes.
- Check and set proper alignment.  There should be little adjustment screws on each V-brake.  Screwing them in will slightly push the brake away from the wheel, and screwing them out will slightly push the brake towards the wheel.  Keep playing with them until they're up and down rather than crooked.
- Check the cable adjuster.  There is likely a little barrel adjuster somewhere along your brake line (on flat bar bikes it's usually right at the brake lever itself).  Tightening this will give less cable play and make the pads sit closer to the wheel, loosening it will give more cable play and make the pads sit further from the wheel.

If you follow the above steps, you should be able to find and fix the problem.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:54:47 AM by GuitarStv »

Guses

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

The front wheel is pretty much true (+/- 1mm), spokes are all there (what am I, a complete NOOB? :) ). I recently greased the post so I am pretty sure it's not it.

The pads are in decent condition and secured correctly.

One thing I have noticed is that the wheel appear to be badly centered on the hub. As in it looks like --TTT---- instead of ---TTT---. This is weird because I never removed both cones so I don't know why it would be like that.

Thinking back, I never really paid close attention to the wheel position. Could it have been badly assembled like that?

Oh, I also have another more pressing question, I have started a new thread.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »
It might have been assembled improperly but it might have just worked loose over time.  That's an easy fix if you have cone wrenches.