Author Topic: My one vice  (Read 5449 times)

settlement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My one vice
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »
Hello mustachians,

My one vice is that I can't drink a cup of tea without eating chocolate with it. This is antimustachian as it actually costs quite a bit as I drink lots of tea.

Does anyone have a solution? I'm reluctant  to try and give it up as I've tried before. Is there a cheap alternative to chocolate or a behavioural trick I can try?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: My one vice
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
Can you reduce the amount of chocolate per tea?  Pre-break a big bar into little servings and be strict about one serving per tea.  Or X amount of chocolate per day, and ration as you see fit.

(Have you tried chocolatey-flavoured teas?  Helpful at all?)

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »
Can you buy cheaper chocolate? Aldi and Lidl are both great for cheap, yet good quality chocolate. Can you switch to 70% cocoa chocolate or higher? It's a lot healthier for you, and is more likely to satisfy you if you just have a little bit of it.

Maybe you can switch some of the tea for hot chocolate? That way you get your chocolate craving and your beverage craving all in one.

As for breaking the habit: this is something I really suck at too. I've found it gets easier if you replace your habit by something else which is more in line with your goals. So still eat something nice with your tea, but make it something healthier/cheaper. What do you enjoy eating, other than chocolate?

+1 on the chocolate flavoured tea, something like this: http://www.artoftea.com/tea/artisan-tea-tins/aztec-spice.html is very nice :)

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:22:46 AM »
If it really is your one vice, then why give it up?
How much is this actually costing you monthly?

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:03 AM »
I give you permission to eat that chocolate and like it. You can enjoy the things you like while saving for FIRE. Just make conscious choices.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 05:43:49 AM »
Stop drinking tea. Tap water is great stuff.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:58:14 AM »

Yep, if the trigger is tea, then you need to stop doing the trigger. Or alternatively introduce a new action in replacement of the chocolate.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 06:09:29 AM »

Yep, if the trigger is tea, then you need to stop doing the trigger. Or alternatively introduce a new action in replacement of the chocolate.

The book The Power of Habit is all about this.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
A study was recently conducted on this http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33690211 (or search for Michael Mosley chocolate cravings BBC). The idea is that if you imagine eating loads of chocolate your mind gets sick of it so you need to eat less or none to satisfy the craving.

Although I agree with others who say that if this is your one vice then carry on.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:19:39 AM »
A study was recently conducted on this http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33690211 (or search for Michael Mosley chocolate cravings BBC). The idea is that if you imagine eating loads of chocolate your mind gets sick of it so you need to eat less or none to satisfy the craving.

Although I agree with others who say that if this is your one vice then carry on.

There was a movie about this, some years back.

The_path_less_taken

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
I give you permission to eat that chocolate and like it. You can enjoy the things you like while saving for FIRE. Just make conscious choices.

1+
Why give up something you love, unless it is harming you or others?

You could get a bag of high end chocolate chips for baking---Ghirridelli on up to the imported French or German baking chocolate---and portion it out so just one, melted on your tongue, sufficed.

Or you could just figure everybody gets a gimme and go with what you love now.

Bobtechs....a "few" years ago? Droogs away....

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
A little bit of chocolate(I hope its a just a little bit?) does not seem like that bad of a vice. I say there is nothing wrong unless it really is impacting your budget(or your waistline).

You could also chocolate that is good, but not AS good. Like dark instead of milk. Or white instead of dark, etc... This might satisfy without overindulging.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
A little bit of chocolate(I hope its a just a little bit?) does not seem like that bad of a vice. I say there is nothing wrong unless it really is impacting your budget(or your waistline).

You could also chocolate that is good, but not AS good. Like dark instead of milk. Or white instead of dark, etc... This might satisfy without overindulging.

Absolutely agree with the above except I would take the opposite tack.  I would see if by getting really good chocolate, I could reduce my consumption by increasing my enjoyment.