Author Topic: My new Moto G phone -- can't decide  (Read 6636 times)

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
My new Moto G phone -- can't decide
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
I've had an iPhone 3g for 5 years. My husband and I are on an AT&T plan that costs close to $120/month. He's on his second phone -- an iPhone 5 -- and uses it constantly for almost everything. I guess because I use mine so little, it's still in perfect working condition, but the OS is so old it doesn't support anything beyond the basic apps. So I've been wanting to get either a spiffier new smart phone or just some basic thing that lets me make and receive calls, without a contract and with the lowest possible monthly fee.

So I am now trying out the Moto G (16-gig version) with the $10/month Republic Wireless plan (which, with taxes and fees, ends up being more like $15/month), and I can't decide if I like it enough to keep it. My share of our AT&T contract is about $40/month, so when all is said and done, we'd save about $25/month or less with the Republic plan. The phone works and all, and compared with my old phone it's quite sleek, but the interconnectedness with Google kind of creeps me out -- Big Brother is watching my every move. Not that most things aren't that way these days anyway, but still. I think I could get used to waiting for a wifi connection to get data, though it's not always convenient. My life right now is such that I'm not traveling or out and about (where I'd need to use internet, maps, etc.) all that much.

Is the issue of less security on wifi really an issue?

Can anyone share any problems they've had with this phone or the service?

Are there any good reasons to stick with Apple products (because I use a Mac as my main computer)? I can't see being able to pry the iPhone out of my husband's grasp -- and I don't know if AT&T would charge more for his plan if I cancel mine. Something I need to find out.

I've got a couple more weeks before my 30-day trial period is over. I'm in the mood right now where I'd prefer two tin cans and a string, but that doesn't have much practical application. :)

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
Re: My new Moto G phone -- can't decide
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
FWIW, I've had Republic Wireless's Moto G (ordered on the day the came out) for close to 2 months, and the biggest hassle was transferring contacts manually from my old dumbphone.  A sibling switched from an iPhone to Republic a week ago; switching contacts is a snap from an iPhone:

http://www.geek.com/apple/geek-101-how-to-transfer-contacts-from-iphone-to-android-1584565/

I've never been made to feel insecure using the Wi-Fi feature, but I hadn't really thought about it.  I generally assume no one cares about my conversations with friends anyway, though they may have the ability to care should they want (i.e. the government).  You should read here that I know close to nothing about the difference in security.

Finally, consider what having a Mac computer and an iPhone have done together that an Android phone and a Mac computer can't.  Long story short, you're basically asking what things the iPhone can do that the Moto G can't do, which isn't very much.  This is because compatibilities/syncing capabilities between an iPhone and a Mac computer are identical to those available for a Windows OS-based computer.  It's all software based, not OS-based, and Apple has made iTunes available for Windows, and the iCloud is available online. 

Your biggest worry may be any photos or other data that you would like to be transferred, and a quick browser search will probably put your worries to rest.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
I went from iphone 3 to 4, to Google Nexus 4 back to iphone 4 to crappy old school LG smart phone with Android 2.x and I have a Moto G that is to be delivered on Monday. (Also have a Google Nexus 7 tablet) 

The new Android OS's are fantastic, I like them more and feel they are just better overall.  I actually love the mostly seamless connection with google accounts on google applications.  Going from work to tablet to home browsing the internet or contacts or emailing or maps is effortless and I love that I don't have to make a point of saving or transferring links from device to device. 

tl;dr: go Android.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

My iPhone is so old that I can't update the OS (I tried once -- didn't work). It's IOS 4.2 something. So I probably can't transfer anything to the new phone.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »
I used bluetooth to send my contacts on my Samsung flip phone to my MotoX.  Worked flawlessly.  Wiped the Samsung and gave it to a friend.

I use a mac laptop, so I was reticent to get the MotoX because of the things you mention.  But, I find for most things it works fine.  I use Firefox on both, so all my bookmarks and such are synced.  The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is link iCal and the MotoX equiv., but I hardly use it anyway, I still use a paper planner.

I do like how any pics I take are archived to my google account and I can then download them as needed to my laptop.  Also, googlemaps searches also sync to my MotoX. 

So, it seems pretty seamless.  I'm the $10 plan as well.

beege

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Fired during covid
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
My SO switched over from an iphone 3g with Airvoice ($30/mo plan) to the Republic wireless Moto G last month. We gave republic a whirl back in November but decided it wasn't for us then. Republic was just about to release the Moto X at that point. Now that they have a used market, a cheaper phone and an assortment of plans we gave them another go and she's been happy with the coverage outside of wifi so far. We aren't serious smart phone users but take advantage of a few apps like online check deposit and just general camera use that a smart phone gives you. The $10 a month plan is great if you aren't a data addict.

When we transferred contacts, we simply pulled off a csv from the icloud and them imported that into the google cloud. Pretty painless.

I did the same thing in reverse when we gave the iphone 3g to my mom (her old android phone just died) so I was happy to see the iphone on it's 3rd owner! Thing is a beast.

Wifi security is always a concern, but simply don't do any financial transactions on public networks and don't make any sensitive calls on them either if you want to be extra paranoid. The biggest threat to phone security imho these days are malicious apps. Just watch what you install!

YoungInvestor

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »
but the interconnectedness with Google kind of creeps me out -- Big Brother is watching my every move. Not that most things aren't that way these days anyway, but still.

I don't quite get that sentiment. Your phone is watching your every move, but only in an attempt to adjust its content to you. I think society has gone a bit overboard with the whole privacy thing.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
I cannot speak to your Exact situation, but I am a Microsoft Developer and consumer... until last week I've been using Windows Phones, and I actually love them. However, in another attempt to further my mustache growth, I have transitioned from $45/month Straight Talk to $25/month Republic Wireless, and I can't use a Windows Phone so I've made the switch to a Moto G. While I think Windows Phone has a little better home screen and smoother scrolling, for the most part, the experience has not been so radically different to matter. You can find and connect to just about anything you can imagine with Android. It's fast and the battery life has been ample. I don't think you'd need a long adjustment period, and of course you would enjoy reduced expenses.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

Wifi security is always a concern, but simply don't do any financial transactions on public networks and don't make any sensitive calls on them either if you want to be extra paranoid. The biggest threat to phone security imho these days are malicious apps. Just watch what you install!

This! Any open wifi is totally insecure. Never, ever do any banking, shopping or similar on one. And probably good to avoid social media or email on it as well. Assume anyone can see all your traffic (because they can). Way too much is transmitted in plain text..

You can avoid this by using VPN. My work has one set up to for us to work from home, but I can just as easily connect my phone to it and browse securely at Panera Bread or whatever.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:59:04 AM »
I just canceled the service and will be returning the phone.

It got locked into "emergency call" mode (that is, even after rebooting, it was stuck on a keypad to make an emergency call and there was no way to get out of it). I went on Motorola's site and engaged in online chat with someone (after waiting for about a half hour) who walked me through clearing the cache, but that didn't fix it. The next step would have been resetting the phone -- or returning for a replacement. But considering that I have barely used the thing, the possibility that this could happen would make me too nervous -- too unreliable. I did check RW's message board, and other people have had the same problem that didn't appear to have been resolved in those cases.

I've had my iPhone for almost 5 years and it has never had any problems at all.

So -- back to phone research.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »
I have the Moto G - for about 10 days now. Definitely miss my Nokia Windows Phone. Better keyboard and no crashing or issues, but even with Android 4.4.2 I've had the messaging service completely crash and refuse to send messages. Still... $240/year. (Could be more for many but I was already on an affordable ST plan.) Decreases my annual expenses (thus what I need to accumulate) while increasing my savings/investing. I can deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:34:40 AM by neogodless »

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
I want to be able to make a phone call when I need to. If it randomly locks me out with no easy fix, that's not good. Obviously some problem with the computer or the software they use.

Sometimes I miss the days of pay phones …

usmarine1975

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »
I have had Republic for about a year or more now.  I love it.  I came from an Iphone with Verizon and felt totally ripped when I had to pay for internet just to have a smart phone.  It took some convincing and even to this day my wife hesitantly would recommend Republic because she has had a few issues. (most of which could be fixed with the newer phones) she is still using the Defy.  I haven't experienced any problems with my Moto X. 

Someone mentioned problems syncing their calendars.  My wife and I use Google's Calendar.  The beauty is that we can log on to that calendar from any one of our computers, tablets, or phones.  Very convenient.

Your old Dumb phone can be tracked by the Government.  Security in regards to financial things common sense applies.

Our monthly cell phone bill is 35/month minus the few referrals we have been getting from time to time.  I love it.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »
I was all set to transfer my number over and keep the phone when it crashed. That made me change my mind.

Spending any amount of money on something that doesn't work or do what you want it to do is a waste, IMO.

usmarine1975

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
I can totally understand your frustration have had to deal with that in the Wifi department at home.  Just recently switched services and so far we are happy.

The only thing I can say regarding your Moto G crash is that it doesn't seem to be the norm.  I don't know the percentage but if they offered you a replacement phone it might be worth a try.  Or not.  For me they work great.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!