Author Topic: Rear ended and my old mustache mobile is likely to be totaled  (Read 3304 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
I got rear ended last week.  My 2001 camry now has body damage on back left bumper, and back left side.  It operates fine, except that the back left tail light will need to be replaced.

I am waiting for the other person’s insurance to get back to me (she was at fault), but it seems likely my car will be totaled because its value is low.  It s a bummer because its a total mustache mobile; low mileage (110k), good condition, mechanics love it, etc... 

How would you approach this one?  Try to find a way to save it?  Get a new used car?  I’ve very much enjoyed not having to think about how to select a new (used) car.  Where do i start?  Obviously  i want good mileage, low cost, etc... 

The search function on this forum sucks or i dont know how to use it well.  Feel free to educate me or forward me to a past post that already explains.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:22:01 PM by Case »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Rear ended and my old mustache mobile is likely to be totaled
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Did you file a claim with your own insurance or just notify them?  (It makes a difference.)

If the other insurance company will pay what you want, there's no need to put in a claim with your own company.  That way, they won't stiff you for a deductible. (The other guy's insurance doesn't do that to you!)

Second, the other guy's insurance will cut you a check.  What you do with it is your business.   If you don't like the amount they offer, then find out what your own company will offer.  If they decide to total it, then you can typically buy the car back from them for pennies on the dollar.  (Of course, the car is now considered mostly worthless so they won't pay out much in the future.  Don't blow the money if you'll need it to replace the car later.)

Best of luck!   We had two cars totaled from the same hailstorm.  We bought our cars back and cleared $10,000 on the deal. :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »
I got rear ended last week.  My 2001 camry now has body damage on back left bumper, and back left side.  It operates fine, except that the back left tail light will need to be replaced.

I am waiting for the other person’s insurance to get back to me (she was at fault), but it seems likely my car will be totaled because its value is low.  It s a bummer because its a total mustache mobile; low mileage (110k), good condition, mechanics love it, etc... 

How would you approach this one?  Try to find a way to save it?  Get a new used car?  I’ve very much enjoyed not having to think about how to select a new (used) car.  Where do i start?  Obviously  i want good mileage, low cost, etc... 

You may be able to repair your car. If you can do it cheaply and safely it could make sense to go that route.

If you decide you need a replacement read my short vehicle shopping guide here:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/do-you-recommend-used-or-new-for-car-newbie/msg1997376/#msg1997376

The search function on this forum sucks or i dont know how to use it well.  Feel free to educate me or forward me to a past post that already explains.

I like to use Google to search the forum, like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=totaled+car+site%3Aforum.mrmoneymustache.com

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
Did you file a claim with your own insurance or just notify them?  (It makes a difference.)

If the other insurance company will pay what you want, there's no need to put in a claim with your own company.  That way, they won't stiff you for a deductible. (The other guy's insurance doesn't do that to you!)

Second, the other guy's insurance will cut you a check.  What you do with it is your business.   If you don't like the amount they offer, then find out what your own company will offer.  If they decide to total it, then you can typically buy the car back from them for pennies on the dollar.  (Of course, the car is now considered mostly worthless so they won't pay out much in the future.  Don't blow the money if you'll need it to replace the car later.)

Best of luck!   We had two cars totaled from the same hailstorm.  We bought our cars back and cleared $10,000 on the deal. :)

I don't have collision coverage, and the other party took full responsibility, and so I have a claim filed with their insurance.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
I would take the check and look for a similar car to replace it. Still sucks that this happened though. Dealing with estimates and insurance is such a hassle.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 07:56:11 AM »
I would take the check and look for a similar car to replace it. Still sucks that this happened though. Dealing with estimates and insurance is such a hassle.

The problem is that the amount I'm likely to get (the check) is far lower than the cost of buying a similar car.  So this ends up just costing me thousands of dollar, even though I wasn't at fault.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:29 AM »

The problem is that the amount I'm likely to get (the check) is far lower than the cost of buying a similar car.  So this ends up just costing me thousands of dollar, even though I wasn't at fault.

https://injury.findlaw.com/car-accidents/when-the-car-insurance-settlement-offer-is-too-low.html

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:21:17 AM »
Sorry that happened. That sucks. When you've got a good old beater and it gets totaled by someone else, it's hard to replace it. If you decide to search for another old beater, try using https://www.carcomplaints.com/ and check the models you are interested in for the best years. So far my 10+ year old car has been a champ thanks to being the last in its generation and being the car with the fewest complaints for its model in the 00's. Doesn't guarantee the future, but thus far I'm satisfied. (disclaimer: I do most of the work on it, but it hasn't needed much)

Some people are really twitchy with their ride. I'm not saying I would want to drive around in a banged up car, but it's amusing to me that some people want to put $2k into a car not worth that much just to fix a quarter panel or bumper or whatnot, for example. If it still runs fine, you can just keep driving it for awhile and save up for another one if you so desire. I try to set aside some money every month for the next vehicle and/or parts and maintenance for my current vehicle. Cars cost money no matter what, but as long as you aren't buying a clown car, you're probably still in a better financial position than most people

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »

Thousands of dollars? Check kbb.com. I think you are greatly overvaluing your 2001 Toyota.

Again, either way it sucks to have to deal with.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:43:01 AM »
Why not fix the taillight and buy back the car with a salvage title? The insurance company should offer you xxxxx for the car being totalled, then they let you buy it back at like 10% of what they expect a salvaged car would get at auction. Or something along those lines.

That makes the car ultra-mustachian. It's paid for and still drives great. You planned on keeping it forever and already don't have coverage on it so a salvage title, where you know the cause of damage, really doesn't make too much difference.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »

Thousands of dollars? Check kbb.com. I think you are greatly overvaluing your 2001 Toyota.

I did check the kbb value, and it is worth $1100 ish.  But, when i search the internet, I find prices that are more like triple that.  Obviously it was not a very thorough/exhaustive appraisal, but that's what I found.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »
Why not fix the taillight and buy back the car with a salvage title? The insurance company should offer you xxxxx for the car being totalled, then they let you buy it back at like 10% of what they expect a salvaged car would get at auction. Or something along those lines.

That makes the car ultra-mustachian. It's paid for and still drives great. You planned on keeping it forever and already don't have coverage on it so a salvage title, where you know the cause of damage, really doesn't make too much difference.

This is something I am considering.  The main challenge is dealing with the resulting criticism from people I know.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:17:07 AM »

This is something I am considering.  The main challenge is dealing with the resulting criticism from people I know.

Unless it's a SO that you live with, just smile widely and say, "I know, don't you hate it when people are cheap?"  None of their business!

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »

Unless it's a SO that you live with, just smile widely and say, "I know, don't you hate it when people are cheap?"  None of their business!

As SunnDays said, unless it's the person who can roll over and smother you while you sleep, ignore the negativity and do what you think best.

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:51:52 PM »

As SunnDays said, unless it's the person who can roll over and smother you while you sleep, ignore the negativity and do what you think best.

This is a case of nod and grin while laughing all the way to the bank. People do not get to double commas while caring what others think. If you think you can buy back your car, fix the taillight and call it a day.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »

I did check the kbb value, and it is worth $1100 ish.  But, when i search the internet, I find prices that are more like triple that.  Obviously it was not a very thorough/exhaustive appraisal, but that's what I found.
Are you seeing mostly dealership ads, or are you looking somewhere like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace? Dealers are notorious for trying to sell cars they bought at auction for $500 at a price of $3k or more, in easy installments of course!

The lazier the marketing, the lower the price.

MustacheAnxiety

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 02:53:59 PM »
If they total your car, the insurance company owes you a check large enough to buy a replacement car.  That means purchase price, plus, tax, title, tags, etc.  So if you find out the car is totaled, do a thorough search (not just KBB) and make sure you are getting enough to replace the car.  Insurer's are a pain and basically always trying to cheat you, but you can negotiate.

If they do not total your car be very wary of the check.  I was in a similar situation a few years back and the insurer's estimate was about half the actual repair cost. 

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
What I would do........I'd go to the junkyard and pick up a tail light and rear bumper cover.  Take the rest of the weekend to install and drive the car more. 

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 10:15:12 AM »

So as an update, the ACV (actual market value) determined by insurance was way higher than the KBB value I had found; $3600.  However, the cost of repairs from the shop are estimated at $3500.  So, the car is listed as a total loss.  I tried askign insurance if they can just not make it a total loss so that I can avoid paying the salvage fee in buying it back from them.  However, I think they were saying that by state law (delaware) they don't get to decide if a car is total loss or not.
Does anyone know if this is real, or BS?    I googled it and Delaware appears to be a TLF (total loss formula) state, where the point of totaling is when (cost of repairs)+(salvage cost) > ACV.   

So, if this is accurate, I can pay the salvage fee ($450) and then they cut me a check, and I do the repairs.  I'm out a total of $350 ish, which isn't terrible.  Or, I could try to get a quote from another shop.  Or, I could try to only do partial repairs, etc...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »
Be careful if you end up with a salvage title - some places require it to go through a state inspection to ensure that repairs were "properly" completed. If you ignore some wrinkled sheet metal and just fix the taillight and bumper cover, it might not fly.  YMMV based on where you are.

If you can't find an equivalent replacement at the value they've decided on, you can provide proof that it'll cost you more to replace it (local sales listings, etc) and negotiate. My sister did that when her little 2wd Tacoma was hit - insurance wanted to total it and give her $1500 until she fought back, and suddenly it was valued at three times that and they decided to repair.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
Be careful if you end up with a salvage title - some places require it to go through a state inspection to ensure that repairs were "properly" completed. If you ignore some wrinkled sheet metal and just fix the taillight and bumper cover, it might not fly.  YMMV based on where you are.

If you can't find an equivalent replacement at the value they've decided on, you can provide proof that it'll cost you more to replace it (local sales listings, etc) and negotiate. My sister did that when her little 2wd Tacoma was hit - insurance wanted to total it and give her $1500 until she fought back, and suddenly it was valued at three times that and they decided to repair.

I googled it and it appears Delaware does require this... goddamn, what a pain in the ass.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!