Author Topic: My family bought my kids too much stuff!  (Read 4585 times)

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
My family bought my kids too much stuff!
« on: December 26, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
So, I'm dealing with the Christmas hang over of "too much stuff"!  My Mom buys my kids a lot of presents, more bulk than real expense. Then there is the in-laws, great grandmas, aunts and uncles who all want to get my kids something.  My entire living room is full of toys.  Has anyone ever returned their kids new toys and put the money in the kids savings accounts? I suggested this to my wife and she thought that it was awful for me to even suggest it.  She says that the kids would be horrified by the idea of returning their new stuff, and they would be.  I'm just overwhelmed.  Our little house is going to burst one of these days.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
Re: My family bought my kids too much stuff!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
Yikes... would communicating to them beforehand have stopped any of the gift giving? Thankfully all I have too much of this year is cookies.

Honest Abe

• Bristles
  • Emancipate Yourself from Mental Slavery
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 05:53:05 PM »
After a month or two they'll pic winners from their Christmas stash and stop playing with most of them. Maybe make an activity out of "giving" and have them pick which gifts they'd like to donate to the Salvation Army for a kid who doesn't have toys. It will teach them an important lesson about appreciating what they have and make them feel good about doing good.

Jannie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
For each new toy that has come in, it's time to let something else go.  Why not choose something of similar size or type eg book for a book, soft toy for a soft toy, etc.  You can get the kids to help choose something, in order to make room for their stuff, or just do it surreptitiously if you choose something they've already lost interest in they probably won't even notice.

fidgiegirl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:38 PM »
No advice, but you're not alone . . . I JUST got done reading this before popping over here!!

http://www.newdream.org/blog/2009-12-new-york-times-grandmas-gifts-need-extra-reindeer

Amazon wishlist was about the best suggestion that stood out for me there.  Not all rellies would receive it well, but for those who would, it could be a help.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »
My best friend has two young kids who get positively spoiled for Christmas and Birthdays. She has gotten into the habit of leaving out one or two of the toys the kids show the most interest in and packing away the rest.

She brings them out throughout the year and at the same time removing a few toys the kids are tired of playing with. If the loss of interest is temporary they go back away to be pulled out again later, or if they are outgrown she passes them on to other friends and family who may enjoy them. Seems to work well for them.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
My best friend has two young kids who get positively spoiled for Christmas and Birthdays. She has gotten into the habit of leaving out one or two of the toys the kids show the most interest in and packing away the rest.

She brings them out throughout the year and at the same time removing a few toys the kids are tired of playing with. If the loss of interest is temporary they go back away to be pulled out again later, or if they are outgrown she passes them on to other friends and family who may enjoy them. Seems to work well for them.

+1 We did this when our kids were younger. Now it doesn't work so well, but we are encouraging them to save their gift cards and cash to buy things later on in the year when they want something different to play with.

Jake P

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Workin' at it!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
My 9 year old has really come around to the idea of "less stuff".  He only really wanted 3 or 4 things for Christmas this year.  Nothing big or expensive.  Yet all family members insisted on getting him "some thing"... My brother in law was going to get him an Ipad... HE'S 9 YEARS OLD!