Author Topic: My Current Situation and where to go from here  (Read 4014 times)

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
My Current Situation and where to go from here
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
First of all expenses are not a major problem for me, I'm currently living with my Father in Scarbrough who lets me stay for free and pays my food bill.

I do have a student dept of $9,000, it was originally 24,000 but I've been steadily paying it off the last 6 months.

I'm currently a Full Time Night Security Guard that gets paid minimum wage, but I do construction security shifts which allow me to spend 90% of my shift on my phone as my job is to prevent customers from coming into the area while letting the construction workers in.

It gives me a lot of time to read Fiction and Non-Fiction Books and pick up skills.

I've basically graduated from Seneca for International Accounting and Finance (IAF) but I need to find a job in the field that will give me a 4 months of experience working at least 30 hours a week in Accounting.  Bookkeeping would count as would an internship, the only requirement I personally am using is minimum wage.

I've been having problems finding an Accounting Job though, I seriously looked for the first 3 months after "graduating" and worked part time as a Security Guard, but after finding no results I made Security a Full Time Job and have been slacking looking for a job. 

I send the occasional online resume but that's it. 

I've been slacking long enough though so I'd love to hear some advise on how to best look for an Accounting related job.

In addition I have a lot of free time at work and would love to learn Programming or a related skill, but I'd rather learn a skill that is best picked up through books and a phone that will help me find a job, preferably one that can be done at home through a computer. 

That way I can do it in addition to Security Work and looking for a job as Security is very unstable, as some weeks I'm doing 60 hours and other weeks I'm only doing 20 hours.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:57:04 AM by Raj »

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
Re: My Current Situation and where to go from here
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:37:48 PM »
Go West, young man.

l know right now is not the peak boom tiime in the Canadian oil business, but that does not mean no one is working.

Boom and bust cycles mean there is always turnover and it is a good way to get started if you show initiative and flexibility.

Czech out:  https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Oil+Gas+Accountant&l=Calgary%2C+AB&start=20

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:23:44 AM »
Does Seneca College have a career counseling centre that can help you with the job hunt? If you need this work experience to graduate, you're basically looking for an internship, which is incredibly hard to find if you're in the GTA and competing with students from Waterloo's accounting co-op program, U of T Rotman Business School, and York University's Schulich Business School. I'm surprised Seneca didn't have businesses/companies lined up who typically take community college interns. I know when SIL went to George Brown for her ECE diploma, the school hooked her up with her internship position, which then turned into full-time employment after graduation. That's where I would start. It doesn't make sense for Seneca to require internship experience before graduating, and then not provide you with resources to find that internship.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 07:52:42 AM »
Go West, young man.

l know right now is not the peak boom tiime in the Canadian oil business, but that does not mean no one is working.

Boom and bust cycles mean there is always turnover and it is a good way to get started if you show initiative and flexibility.

Czech out:  https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Oil+Gas+Accountant&l=Calgary%2C+AB&start=20
I could and I've considered doing so, but the biggest problem would be the rent that I'd have to pay after doing so.

My greatest current advantage after all is that I'm currently living for free, in addition I imagine that even after I get an Accounting job my pay will still be minimum wage as I build experience.

Does Seneca College have a career counseling centre that can help you with the job hunt? If you need this work experience to graduate, you're basically looking for an internship, which is incredibly hard to find if you're in the GTA and competing with students from Waterloo's accounting co-op program, U of T Rotman Business School, and York University's Schulich Business School. I'm surprised Seneca didn't have businesses/companies lined up who typically take community college interns. I know when SIL went to George Brown for her ECE diploma, the school hooked her up with her internship position, which then turned into full-time employment after graduation. That's where I would start. It doesn't make sense for Seneca to require internship experience before graduating, and then not provide you with resources to find that internship.
The closest they have to carrier counseling that I'm aware of is the Co-op job board, it does have some jobs there and I applied to them for all of January to May, but I only ever got a few job interviews and generally was competing with many others for the job.

After awhile I started looking outside of the Job Board to look for jobs, because as long as I get 4 months of experience working at least 30 hours a week in an Accounting related job I can still graduate.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
When you say 'basically graduated', and you talk about hours requirement, does this mean that the University requires a certain amount of experience required in order to graduate (kind of an internship)?

If you cannot graduate as long as you do not have the experience, and you cannot get a job without the degree, would you be able to swing an unpaid intership for that duration (4 months x 30h a week), keeping your part-time security job? It would slow your reimbursement, but having the degree will definitely open way more doors. Also, the longer you wait, the harder it is to find placements I find (I also had an internship-based program).

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:41 AM »
Well, the first step is to get the job experience to be able to graduate.

Does bookkeeping qualify as job experience for your program? That might be a way to get your foot in the door.

Sign up for Indeed job alerts and Government of Canada job board alerts. When you apply for jobs, let them know that you need the experience for school, and that you are willing to work for minimum wage to start. My firm is reluctant to hire students because it takes a lot of time to train them, so you have to be willing to start at a low wage.

There is a Virtual CPA firm that was recently advertising, but I'm not sure if that would work for you.

This may or may not interest you. https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/administration-support/financial-services-administrator.html?https://d.adgear.com/clicks/witness/p=285462/a=187259/c=170594

Good luck!

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
When you say 'basically graduated', and you talk about hours requirement, does this mean that the University requires a certain amount of experience required in order to graduate (kind of an internship)? 
Yes your right.

If you cannot graduate as long as you do not have the experience, and you cannot get a job without the degree, would you be able to swing an unpaid intership for that duration (4 months x 30h a week), keeping your part-time security job? It would slow your reimbursement, but having the degree will definitely open way more doors. Also, the longer you wait, the harder it is to find placements I find (I also had an internship-based program).
It's the option my Father is pushing me towards.  I'd rather look for an Internship that paid at least minimum wage so that I could continue to pay off my student debt.  But considering I still haven't found anything, I'm considering doing an unpaid internship that will help me gain experience.

Well, the first step is to get the job experience to be able to graduate.

Does bookkeeping qualify as job experience for your program? That might be a way to get your foot in the door.
It should count yes.

Sign up for Indeed job alerts and Government of Canada job board alerts. When you apply for jobs, let them know that you need the experience for school, and that you are willing to work for minimum wage to start. My firm is reluctant to hire students because it takes a lot of time to train them, so you have to be willing to start at a low wage. 
I'm definitely willing to work for minimum wage, I'd just rather not work for free.

I tried signing up for Indeed Job alerts awhile ago, but after researching a lot of the job alerts ended up being fake which was discouraging, so I stopped bothering.

I didn't know there was a Government of Canada Job Board that had alerts, I've gone to a few job interviews with the CRA but that was from the Co-op Job board.

So I'll try to find this Government of Canada Job Board as it sounds useful.

There is a Virtual CPA firm that was recently advertising, but I'm not sure if that would work for you. 
I'll check it out, but I haven't even graduated from University yet alone got my CPA, so it probably won't work.

This may or may not interest you. https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/administration-support/financial-services-administrator.html?https://d.adgear.com/clicks/witness/p=285462/a=187259/c=170594

Good luck!
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about the Military, on one hand the training would definitely benefit me physically, and it would help me become a lot more disciplined.

On the other hand I'm definitely not comfortable with the idea of ever actually deploying, even if the odds are small.

In addition I'm not sure how my current experience would translate into a course like that, for now I'm going to try to find an internship in Accounting so I can graduate and try to pick up skills like Programming while working as a Security Guard.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:52:42 AM by Raj »

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home-eng.do

Also, I would recommend sending out a resume and very nicely worded cover letter to every accounting and bookkeeping company in your area. Tax season is coming up, and many firms will be hiring.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 10:53:07 AM »
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home-eng.do
Thank you, I'll make sure to check this out.

Also, I would recommend sending out a resume and very nicely worded cover letter to every accounting and bookkeeping company in your area. Tax season is coming up, and many firms will be hiring.
I did so in March but it's been awhile so I'll send out my resume again, and I'll start writing up some new cover letters.

Speaking of cover letters, I personally create a template containing all the information about myself that I consider relevant and then modify it for any company I'm sending it to. Do you do the same or do you create a completely new cover letter for each company?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:04:59 AM »
I was in your position many years ago...graduated with a business degree from Western and searching for a job in Toronto. I had a tough time finding anything...and I already had my degree plus student internship experience! The TO market is a pretty tough market to get into.

In addition to tailoring your cover letters, I'd also recommend having career services at Seneca look over your resume and cover letters to make sure they are error-free. You're looking for a job in a detail-oriented industry. The last thing you want is to have a spelling mistake on your cover letter or resume.

I would also consider completing an unpaid internship, and using all your networks and your parents' networks to find a position. You really need that diploma/degree to even start to compete in Toronto. Now doesn't sound like the time to be picky.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:25:12 AM »
From what you've told us here, some gentle face punches: your FUTURE hangs in the balance. You need to figure out some way, any way, to get the experience you need (even unpaid in a new place, with additional loans). Right now you are stagnating. Your degree WILL NOT EXIST. Your loans will have been WORTHLESS. Not having an income for a few months and taking on some debt will be so inconsequential in the long run compared to the salary increase possible with not staying a security guard. The longer you wait to finish this, the worse it looks to future employers and the smaller your internship pool gets. Looks at this as part of college, NOT as your first job if you must. You don't get paid for taking courses. Well, this is just another course. And you need it to finish.

If you know this, and you have taken this to heart, and you are still struggling to make yourself look and apply and care anymore? I highly recommend you seek counseling or speak to your doctor about the possibility of depression. The situation you are in right now- limbo, at the end of college, stuck living with parents but too scared to leave- is the same situation so many people have their first major episode of depression. And even if you're not clinically depressed, night shift security + volatile job + living with parents = social isolation and feeling adrift. I highly encourage you to make a change. Moving forward, even if you later regret some small particulars, is SO much better than feeling stagnant and stuck.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
It's the option my Father is pushing me towards.  I'd rather look for an Internship that paid at least minimum wage so that I could continue to pay off my student debt.  But considering I still haven't found anything, I'm considering doing an unpaid internship that will help me gain experience.

Do the math. 

How much would an unpaid internship cost you (minimum wage that you wouldn't make x #hrs needed to get degree - any $ you can make from doing part-time security guard work)?

Now:  how much are you losing in potential salary my continuing to work a minimum wage job while holding out for a paid internship? (Salary with degree - minimum wage salary)

How many months would it take before you're losing more money by continuing to work minimum wage than you sacrifice with a short-term unpaid internship?  If you've been hunting for a paid internship for that long, you've already lost more money than you are gaining by continuing to work the full-time security job.  And you are falling further behind every day.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  When the best option doesn't appear, cut your losses and go with the next-best thing that allows you to move forward with your plans and goals.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
From what you've told us here, some gentle face punches: your FUTURE hangs in the balance. You need to figure out some way, any way, to get the experience you need (even unpaid in a new place, with additional loans). Right now you are stagnating. Your degree WILL NOT EXIST. Your loans will have been WORTHLESS. Not having an income for a few months and taking on some debt will be so inconsequential in the long run compared to the salary increase possible with not staying a security guard. The longer you wait to finish this, the worse it looks to future employers and the smaller your internship pool gets. Looks at this as part of college, NOT as your first job if you must. You don't get paid for taking courses. Well, this is just another course. And you need it to finish.
....Thank you, I needed those gentle face punches.

Your right, I'll talk to my Dad and start looking at unpaid Internships as well, it's already been 10 full months since I finished all my courses. 

At this point I really should accept the truth and look at unpaid internships as well.

If you know this, and you have taken this to heart, and you are still struggling to make yourself look and apply and care anymore? I highly recommend you seek counseling or speak to your doctor about the possibility of depression. The situation you are in right now- limbo, at the end of college, stuck living with parents but too scared to leave- is the same situation so many people have their first major episode of depression. And even if you're not clinically depressed, night shift security + volatile job + living with parents = social isolation and feeling adrift. I highly encourage you to make a change. Moving forward, even if you later regret some small particulars, is SO much better than feeling stagnant and stuck.
My first reaction was an instinctive dismissal, and when I examine my feelings I feel a hint of shame at even considering the thought and a spark of anger at the thought that someone thought me that week.

I just have to consider how I've dealt with my friends being depressed before, people who I've looked out for and people who've I've reached out through the Internet to consider that a horrible idea.

If your depressed that just means you need help, and I'm not above my friends in any shape or form. 

If it happened to them it could happen to me, my first response is again to point out the differences between us, the biggest of which is that I have never touched any sort of recreational drug in my life including alcohol, but that doesn't mean it still couldn't happen to me.

I don't think I'm suffering depression, but I should still act as if it were a serious possibility and not dismiss it without carefully thinking about it.

Do the math. 

How much would an unpaid internship cost you (minimum wage that you wouldn't make x #hrs needed to get degree - any $ you can make from doing part-time security guard work)?

Now:  how much are you losing in potential salary my continuing to work a minimum wage job while holding out for a paid internship? (Salary with degree - minimum wage salary)

How many months would it take before you're losing more money by continuing to work minimum wage than you sacrifice with a short-term unpaid internship?  If you've been hunting for a paid internship for that long, you've already lost more money than you are gaining by continuing to work the full-time security job.  And you are falling further behind every day.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  When the best option doesn't appear, cut your losses and go with the next-best thing that allows you to move forward with your plans and goals.
I'm afraid I won't have time to do this for most of the week*, but I'll do the math as soon as I have spare time as I have a feeling it will help me quite a bit.

*Not sure I've mentioned the hours I'm currently working.  As a Security Guard my shift often changes location but my most frequent one is a 2 and a half - 3 hour bus trip.  I have a 10 hour shift and then another 3 hours to get home.  When I arrive I cook myself a good breakfast of 3 eggs, 2 tomatoes and a quarter of an onion cooked in butter and then sleep for 6 hours and then get up to cook dinner and prepare lunch for work.  I generally have an extra 20 minutes that I spend online going through forums and things similar.

I don't mind the commute to much, since I'm taking public transportation and am on my phone the entire time, generally reading a fiction book.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:34:44 PM by Raj »