What do you think of the QR Code

It's good as it makes you stand out positively
0 (0%)
It's bad as no one's QR Code's
2 (66.7%)
No Opinion, barely noticed it
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: My Accounting Resume Quality - QR Code Poll  (Read 3761 times)

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
My Accounting Resume Quality - QR Code Poll
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »
I've edited my Resume extensively now that I'm finishing my Unpaid Internship, it's time to start applying for jobs again as I'm about to move into the real world of Accounting.

The most controversial item on my Resume has been my QR Code, in this thread alone people have expressed differing opinions.

Due to this I have created a poll asking your opinions on the issue.

I'm also always happy to hear more people's opinion's on my Resume, especially other mustachian's who have proved to be some of the toughest to please, and at the same time the people who are most eager to help.

Finally I've made sure to keep the most up to date Resume on the Front post, and reattach it anytime I make changes.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:25:08 PM by Raj »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: My Accounting Resume Quality and Business Card Quality
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
My business cards were designed and provided by a bank, which is about as formal as you can get. There's nothing on the back of them. And for that matter, I've never needed business cards since I left public accounting (external audit). When I did actually use them, the company office address/number was on the back. Are you sure you need them? 

Resume:
Take your address off. City is sufficient.
Print in black and white. If you're going to use color, that's always a good plan just to check how it looks.
Personally, I'd take Office, windows, and email off. It's assumed that you can use that stuff.

Email: Pick one, keep it simple, and make sure you can reply to emails on your phone using the same address (not your personal email). I use gmail and usually see professionals using that in the US.

Canada may be different, so ask actual professionals if you can on norms in your area.

If you haven't found it yet: AskAManager.org

Good luck!

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
Writing from the US, so my points are local, but I am an accountant and hiring manager.

I don't think anyone will care about the @whatever on your email address.

I also wouldn't spend money on business cards.  Your resume is enough.  A lot of companies have stopped giving out business cards entirely to save money...I would find it very weird for an applicant to hand me a card.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »
My business cards were designed and provided by a bank, which is about as formal as you can get. There's nothing on the back of them. And for that matter, I've never needed business cards since I left public accounting (external audit). When I did actually use them, the company office address/number was on the back. Are you sure you need them?   
If I get them I'll make sure to leave it one sided, thank you for the advice.

As for being sure I need them, I'm not sure and I haven't bought them yet.

But I imagine they would at least be useful at networking events and the like.

Resume:
Take your address off. City is sufficient.
This is surprisingly the thing that I've been getting the most conflicting advice on, some people have asked why it wasn't there when I took it off and when I put it on others have mentioned that it shouldn't be there.

Print in black and white. If you're going to use color, that's always a good plan just to check how it looks.
I assume you mean my Resume, and will do.  The only color I use is on my objectives so it shouldn't look to bad.

Personally, I'd take Office, windows, and email off. It's assumed that you can use that stuff.
I'm not so sure, while it is generally assumed that people have at least basic proficiency in at least personal use, I've also gained experience using them in a business setting which would should be positive,

Email: Pick one, keep it simple, and make sure you can reply to emails on your phone using the same address (not your personal email). I use gmail and usually see professionals using that in the US.
I make sure to always respond with my Professional Email

I'll stick with Outlook then as it's what I'm used to and is what's on my Resume.

Canada may be different, so ask actual professionals if you can on norms in your area.
My boss also thought it unnecessary and even tacky to try @accounting.com, so I'll stick with Outlook.

If you haven't found it yet: AskAManager.org

Good luck!
Thank you for all the advice and I've found AskAManager and read it before,  but it was admittedly a few months ago.  It might be good to reread some of the articles.

Writing from the US, so my points are local, but I am an accountant and hiring manager.

I don't think anyone will care about the @whatever on your email address.

I also wouldn't spend money on business cards.  Your resume is enough.  A lot of companies have stopped giving out business cards entirely to save money...I would find it very weird for an applicant to hand me a card.
Thanks glad to hear I was worried about nothing on the emails.

It's very interesting to encounter this opinion on business cards.

The few network events I've attended have had multiple people give me their card, after which I connected to them with LinkedIn, I always felt a little embarrassed that I had nothing to give back, but maybe cards are isolated only to network events which probably aren't something I'll attend very often.  Especially since I can just continue what I'm currently doing and connect to them using LinkedIn after getting their card.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:56:08 AM by Raj »

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
Re: My Accounting Resume Quality
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
You won't need a business card that says you're an intern because your goal is to get a real job. So why print something that's irrelevant? Anyone you'll be networking with that has an open job would just want your resume. You have a cell phone and can take down someone's contact info and offer to send your resume or have them keep you advised of any future openings.

On your resume:

Your objective doesn't read smoothly - "enhancing the experience for the CPA exam" doesn't make sense.. You're gaining experience not enhancing it. Also the way your statement reads it sounds like you're going to enhance the companies experience for their CPA exam. This will need to be rephrased

You've capitalized a ton of things that don't need capitalization. "Personal Tax Return" "assisted Clients" "English SKills"

Your second bullet point under account intern reads strangely. I don't know what should be paired, but it should either read "maintaining inventories and bank reconciliations", or if the bank reconciliations are a separate item you need a verb in front of bank.

You're applying for a very detailed field, and those little things may cause people to think you do not have an eye for detail.

Your formatting is great and I think you've highlighted your experiences well
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:31:57 PM by fuzzy math »

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »
Wow!  What contrast from last time!  This resume looks legit.  Nice use of color - not too much - not too little.  I didn't read it word for word, but it's such a great improvement from last time.  I really like the QR code on it.  I might steal that for my resume.  I'd probably give it just a bit more space at the top of the page so that you make sure your name prints nicely and the edge spacing is uniform throughout the page.

I'm not huge on business cards unless you're going into business for yourself.

I'd give ya a shot out of college.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 06:17:10 AM »
I disagree on the qr code - very few people have the software on their phone. It is ok for a junior person but not someone who is expected to have a better understanding of the mores.

Resumes are highly location and industry specific, but I would definitely have multiple formats. Pdf is safe. Some employers really hate docs. Make sure you have a plain text version for web forms that ask you to copy paste.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
The reason you don't put the actual full address down is security. It's something that is in the process of changing, which is why you're getting different advice. My current resume (job searched last fall) doesn't have any location on it.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
You won't need a business card that says you're an intern because your goal is to get a real job. So why print something that's irrelevant? Anyone you'll be networking with that has an open job would just want your resume. You have a cell phone and can take down someone's contact info and offer to send your resume or have them keep you advised of any future openings.
A strong point, I was already wavering and this helped convince me.

Thank you for typing it out, it saved me $10.

On your resume:

Your objective doesn't read smoothly - "enhancing the experience for the CPA exam" doesn't make sense.. You're gaining experience not enhancing it. Also the way your statement reads it sounds like you're going to enhance the companies experience for their CPA exam. This will need to be rephrased
Changed to "while gaining the required experience for the CPA exam"

You've capitalized a ton of things that don't need capitalization. "Personal Tax Return" "assisted Clients" "English SKills"
Took off the capitalization

Your second bullet point under account intern reads strangely. I don't know what should be paired, but it should either read "maintaining inventories and bank reconciliations", or if the bank reconciliations are a separate item you need a verb in front of bank. 
I put "and" as it is indeed one item rather than separate items.

You're applying for a very detailed field, and those little things may cause people to think you do not have an eye for detail.
A completely fair point, thank you for pointing out those little details for me to correct.

Your formatting is great and I think you've highlighted your experiences well
Thank you, I checked out a large amount of format, but in the end for Accounting especially a simple eye drawing one proved best.

7 billion times better than last time.
Thanks, glad to hear I've improved.

When you get an Honours degree from a Canadian school, they will spell Honours in Canadian.
I actually didn't know it was spelled Honours in Canadian/British English, I have to admit to being surprised and it doesn't feel quite feel right.

Never the less I have changed it, although most spell checks didn't consider it a real word.

Still I have changed it and Analyze to Analyse

Business cards either come from an employer, or you design one if you're freelancing.
A fair point, I don't expect to freelance for a number of years so no reason to bother designing one now.

But excellent work adding people to LinkedIn
Thank you.

In case I ever have a problem keeping it straight, I've created an excel spreadsheet listing

Where and when I met them
What we last talked about
How many times we've talked
Any favors I owe them
Any favors they owe me

Wow!  What contrast from last time!  This resume looks legit.  Nice use of color - not too much - not too little.  I didn't read it word for word, but it's such a great improvement from last time. 
Thanks for the compliments, they put a smile on my face which will last a while.

It's always nice to know that you've improved.

I really like the QR code on it.  I might steal that for my resume.   
Feel free to do so, I took it for the same reason.

I saw it on a resume I considered to be high quality and then created and input my own QR code.

I'd probably give it just a bit more space at the top of the page so that you make sure your name prints nicely and the edge spacing is uniform throughout the page.
Edited it, hopefully it looks a bit better than before.

I'm not huge on business cards unless you're going into business for yourself.
A fair point.

I'd give ya a shot out of college.
Thank you, I'm glad to know that it's at least starting to be effective.

I consider that a glowing compliment coming from a more senior mustachian.

I disagree on the qr code - very few people have the software on their phone.
That's the first time I've heard that specific reason.

Do people spend a lot of time looking at resume's on their phones?

It is ok for a junior person but not someone who is expected to have a better understanding of the mores.

Honestly I've asked about QR codes before and people have been very divisive over it.

But from what I've asked it generates more positive emotions then negatives.

Most simply don't care about the QR code and skip over it unless directly asked, and even then have no strong opinion.

There have even been a few that dislike the QR code and feel it's unprofessional.

But I've also had a few who have told me that they quite like the QR code and feel it tells them quite a bit about myself and how in touch I am with technology.

Some have even added it could easily make the difference between wanting to interview me and discarding me.

So I decided it made more of a positive than a negative and left it there.

But if more people express negative responses then positives, I'll make sure to get rid of it.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion, and hopefully you can at least understand why I'm choosing to not follow your QR advice for the moment.

Resumes are highly location and industry specific, but I would definitely have multiple formats. Pdf is safe. Some employers really hate docs. Make sure you have a plain text version for web forms that ask you to copy paste.
Glad to hear it, PDF is my favorite as well so I'll stick to using it primarily and swap to DOCX at either request or when I think it will go through ATS systems.

Thank you for the plain text version advise.

I just created one, we'll see how it holds up when I'm putting it through online forms.

If I did it well I'll certainly save some time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:12:02 PM by Raj »

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
The reason you don't put the actual full address down is security. It's something that is in the process of changing, which is why you're getting different advice. My current resume (job searched last fall) doesn't have any location on it.
Understandable

I've decided to compromise and only list my city and province for now.

It will tell anyone who looks at it that I'm aware that many employers need addresses to at least tell them I'm in the general vicinity, but it will also keep myself safe.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:19:49 PM by Raj »

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
Wrt qr codes, my industry has tried to use them in a wide variety of situations and they always have a horrible conversion rate compared to other options.

If you are giving someone a word doc or pdf it is almost always easier for the recipient to click on the link. I guess it comes down to whether the recipient knows what to do with a qr code and can do it. My experience is that people who like the idea of a qr code have never actually used one.

Again in my industry it would look horribly dated. Perhaps your location and industry are different but this is likely going to be polarizing. You may get interviews that way but you may also lose interviews that way - and it is unlikely anyone will tell you about the misses.

Have you ever seen or received a qr code and done something with it?

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 09:58:45 PM »
Do you have any English major friends? I think it looks great, but I would suggest getting someone in there to edit out double spaces, provide consistency in the use of periods, check for tense issues, etc.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
Wrt qr codes, my industry has tried to use them in a wide variety of situations and they always have a horrible conversion rate compared to other options.

If you are giving someone a word doc or pdf it is almost always easier for the recipient to click on the link. I guess it comes down to whether the recipient knows what to do with a qr code and can do it. My experience is that people who like the idea of a qr code have never actually used one.

Again in my industry it would look horribly dated. Perhaps your location and industry are different but this is likely going to be polarizing. You may get interviews that way but you may also lose interviews that way - and it is unlikely anyone will tell you about the misses.

Have you ever seen or received a qr code and done something with it?
I've made sure to include a link to LinkedIn as well as an QR code.

In all honestly I've only ever used a QR code a few times in my life for a Security Job and I found it a bit annoying.

But it's easy to add and I heard a number of compliments on it with a few people even expressing that they would add it to there own resume.

I honestly don't know if other Accountant's would find it horribly old fashioned or not, and you have a point that it would be harder to know about any of the misses on a practical rather than theoretical scale.

In the end it's just for show and an easy way to demonstrate that I'm aware of technological trends, but considering how old it is it could be doing more harm then good.

I might make a poll just for it.

Raj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »
Do you have any English major friends? I think it looks great, but I would suggest getting someone in there to edit out double spaces, provide consistency in the use of periods, check for tense issues, etc.
I fell out of contact with them and it would feel a little awkward to send them an email requesting them to take a look at my resume, I already used grammar sites such as Grammarly and ProWritingAid but it may be worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my Resume.