Author Topic: Mustachian workout routine  (Read 9179 times)

pmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian workout routine
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:06 AM »
Hi all,
MMM seems to have pretty strong opinions on working out- ie its important, do squats, etc, but hasn't put up his actual routine. I've been working out on/off (mostly off) for about 10 yrs, and got back into it more seriously about a year ago. My results have been OK but less than what one might expect from a year of lifting, so I'm looking for a good routine (the stuff online is pretty random/hard to trust).

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
Re: Mustachian workout routine
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise)

it's free and covers all the bases.

Guardian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
So you probably want a more serious answer than burpees..

While a great exercise, they won't make you a strong person in any regard.

It really depends on what you are looking to do. Judging by the tone of your post, OP, it seems that you want to bulk up/add on muscle and definition. If you have looked into it yet, I'd suggest Reddit (just don't get sucked into the dark wormhole that is Reddit), just use the resource, figure out what you want and how to get there, and then get out. What matters is time spent working out and EATING RIGHT, not "finding the perfect way to be perfect".

Switch it up, have you tried lifting alongside something like P90X? Or Insanity? Fun.

pmm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
thanks for your comments!
ya- im looking to add muscle & definition. will take a look at reddit. not a fan of p90x. more into the free weights sorta style- how many times a week to do bench/squats/etc, and i suppose i need to think more seriously about how much im eating.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:31:50 AM »
Consistency is one of the most important aspects, even without a detailed lift by lift log try to record what days you workout and if it was an honest hard workout or just putting in the minutes till you can leave.  If you think you are lifting 5 days per week but it is really 2 you wont get results. 

Also lift heavy, what ever your goals.  And cut out the junk food & soda, eat.

Jeepo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Fear is not to be feared.....
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
A fantastic regime is something like Starting Strength or strong lifts. Have a google at both. Both rock. You need access to the basics, squat rack, bench and barbell. As MMM says, it might be worth investing in your own equipment if you can get it cheap. I have been doing this sort of stuff for about 8 months now, never been fitter.

TheBreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Nova Ninja Project
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:46 AM »
Check out Marksdailyapple.com as mentioned around this site sometimes. It's the total combination of eating right and working out efficiently. Mark has a couple posts about the heavy lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses, bench, etc.) including frequency. That said, I'm stronger and faster now following Mark's bodyweight workout advice than I was doing P90X + Insanity. Haven't touched even a dumbbell in over a year. MDA is highly recommended for anything health/fitness.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:32:14 AM by TheBreeze »

busybusybusy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:23 AM »
Any body weight exercises are always free and are available to do 100% of the time. Some basics by Charlie Bronson, the guy who wrote a fitness book in solitary confinement can be read about here:
 http://workoutswithoutweights.net/charles-bronson-workout-the-basics/

If you want to buy the book, go here:
 http://www.amazon.com/Solitary-Fitness-Charlie-Bronson/dp/1844543099/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411987914&sr=8-1&keywords=solitary+fitness

Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »
When I focused on bulking up, one of my favorite workouts was Power Bodybuilding by Mike O'hearn.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike-ohearn-power-bodybuilding-12-week-training-program.html

Just be aware when you search bodybuilding.com that they push supplements with all of their workouts. Personally, I was never into supplements, but still managed to go from 119 lbs (8% body fat) to 175 lbs (6 % body fat) in 3 years. That was gained through a variety of different workouts though. I found I started to get more gains in size and strength when I would go through cycles of bulking and cutting. The one listed above was just one of my favorites (possibly because I found the introduction video humorous).

Stashy McStasherton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
Check out www.fitnessblender.com. There are over 400 free videos from cardio to HIIT to strength training. It is a great resource to get you started and keep you from getting bored. They post new videos every week. Lots of tips and recipes on eating clean too. 

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »
A fantastic regime is something like Starting Strength or strong lifts. Have a google at both. Both rock. You need access to the basics, squat rack, bench and barbell. As MMM says, it might be worth investing in your own equipment if you can get it cheap. I have been doing this sort of stuff for about 8 months now, never been fitter.

Both are good for adding muscle. Did SS for a year, gained about 10 pounds of muscle.

BUT... I was not fitter than I had ever been. I was far more fit when I ran 6 days a week. So now I do traithlons + lift a little on the side.. but I am crazy.

If your #1 goal is to look strong I would do 100% free weights
if your #1 goal is to be healthy, I would do about 80% cardio and 20% free weights.

Across both though, bodyfat % is very important, and bodyfat is controlled by diet. If you are hefty, slim down as a top priority.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »

Nyarlathotep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:15:56 PM »
You really cannot go wrong with acquiring a used Olympic weight set. I got lucky enough to score one off craigslist a while ago for $100 and that got me an adjustable bench, Olympic bar, easy curl bar and 300lbs of weight. The best part is people are always looking to get rid of old equipment.

As far as routine goes I typically try to run in the mornings and lift in the evenings after work (It is a great way to blow of steam) 5-6 times a week. As far as the particular days go it will vary from person to person. Typically to start you would probably want to do a full body work out and work your way into isolating different muscle groups down the line.

As far as resources go I would suggest browsing the Youtubes and look for Scooby1961, the "TwinMuscleWorkout" and "strength camp".

I will also leave you with Scooby1961's website

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

He is all about working out at home, gives real talk, has videos for just about everything and is all around awesome.

Hope this helps and enjoy your future gains.