Author Topic: Mustachian Washing Machine  (Read 2390 times)

RabStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Washing Machine
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:29:27 AM »
Our washing machine seems to have broken down last night.  This morning we woke up to water in front of the machine and the machine itself was stopped and full of water.

Any thoughts on what to check to fix it or any thoughts on purchasing a new machine that is both cost effective and efficient?

TeresaB

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian Washing Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:59 AM »
Are the hoses clogged? I don't know much about washing machines, but my mother has had to replace the hoses on her washer a few times.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Brand, model, front/top load will help.

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
Yeah see if you can fix it first. I just got mine on craigslist for 60$. I only wash with cold water so I figure the efficiency isn't worth buying a new one

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
use your googles....  There are several good appliance diagnostic web sites.

Also, if it is a newer washer, it probably has some internal diagnostics.  There will be some oddball handwaving to make it spit out a code.  (It will be something silly like: turn on, push these 3 buttons in order, and repeat 2 times.)

It will spit out a code that will really narrow it down.  If you have the manual, this may be in there... and there is often a tech manual hidden inside the machine.  (I.e, open it up and it will be in a plastic sleeve inside.)

Louis the Cat

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »
I can't speak to what may be wrong with your existing machine but we have a Whirlpool Duet Sport (HE, front loading) that we bought in 2006 that runs like a champ and certainly contributes to keeping our water usage down. (As a family of 4 our water usage ranges from 3000-5000 gallons a month, depending on the month.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!