Author Topic: Mustachian Surrogacy - Ways to Save  (Read 2503 times)

The Mobile Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Surrogacy - Ways to Save
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:33:57 AM »
Hello everyone,

My wife and I, 32 and 30 respectively, are considering the idea of having our first child through surrogacy. The women in her family have a history of Fibroid tumors and polyps which results in them having hysterectomys by 34 - 35. She is getting diagnosed now, but we are seeing early indications that she may have Fibroid tumors. She also has Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which, combined surgery to remove Fibroid tumors, may make getting pregnant quite difficult. The only two options I can see on the table are in vitro or surrogacy depending on how serious her diagnosis is.

As a Mustachian couple, I'd like to prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. The costs I see for surrogacy are between $60K - $150K which seems to be an incredibly wide range. I'd appreciate your thoughts on ways to save / reduce the overall costs of surrogacy if we head in this direction.

Thank you

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian Surrogacy - Ways to Save
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 08:08:39 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health problems and that you are needing to explore medical treatment and surrogacy to build your family -- not that these aren't great tools, but of course more complicated and expensive when they are needed (I'm an IVF mom, myself). 

You may want to try getting more information from boards more focused on those areas rather than here (believe me, you wouldn't be the first infertility patients concerned about costs).  If you'll PM me, I can point you to some online resources.  I'd also recommend the book Navigating the Land of If by Melissa Ford for a general, informative patient's-eye view of what's involved in treatments.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »
I don't know anything about the specific conditions she has to deal with, but is trying to get pregnant out of the question at this point?   I would actually suggest hitting the forums at americanpregnancy.com, the American Pregnancy Association.  I frequented the boards when I was pregnant with my kids, and there were a lot of women that were hoping to get pregnant while dealing with various issues. 

Another thought, adopting is an option if you cannot get pregnant.  Adopting through a foster system in particular is low cost, I believe.

Good luck!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
Just wanted to give encouragement on the PCOS front. I got pregnant with improvements to diet, exercise, and six months of Metformin (before trying to conceive; once we started trying it only took two months.) Fingers crossed that the doctors don't rule out pregnancy for your wife as that would certainly be the best-case scenario.  One doctor I saw hit the panic button and scared me a lot (that I had to start trying ASAP, that I would have a lot of difficulty conceiving, etc.) and it didn't go that way at all.  I hope the door is still open for you to trying less invasive options, first.