Author Topic: Mustachian Realtors - What do you drive?  (Read 11185 times)

abovethewaves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Realtors - What do you drive?
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »
So...what does a mustachian Realtor drive? Our market is sales in the $200K - $1M range. I don't necessarily need a luxury car, but something that's comfortable, fits myself and a ideally a family of 4, will fit signs and gets good around town gas mileage.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:12:38 PM by ladystar »

CopperTex

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian Realtors - What do you drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
I am not a real estate agent, but a high-end children's portrait photographer that meets with clients on location. My clients typically spend around $2k with me for one portrait session and always pull up in BMWs, giant SUVs, etc - all brand new. I know there would be a distrust if I pulled up in a typical mustachian type vehicle. I lease a very nice Camry for $280 a month which allows me to "look the part" without going down the luxury route. I am also able to write off most of the lease payments since the car is used mostly for business use. I totally respect those that can take their bikes to work and drive 10+ year old cars, but I do consider my car a cost of doing business. If there are some more creative ways to handle this situation, I'm all ears!

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
I'm sorry but your reputation isn't earned by what car you drive. Maybe lease a fancy car for a year if you really think it's going to help get you off the ground and then switch to a more reasonable vehicle.

People don't look at how many houses you've sold or great photos you've took and go, "wow, but that car is so nice".

I wouldn't go beyond a Cruzs, Civic, or Focus, ever.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:13:32 PM »
What do the other agents in the office drive?  I would aim for a Camry or an Accord, but look at the car from the point of view of the back seat passengers.  Make sure it is comfortable for two adults, including leg room, and has the requisite cup holders.

Chesterfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
The last realtor we used had a Prius.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 02:18:59 AM »
The best agent we ever had drove a Toyota pickup. She towed a horse trailer with it on weekends.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 03:58:31 AM »
Wife is a real estate agent. She has earned $50-75k in taxable commissions annually over the last three years (not including the 22k cut that she gives her company and various other pre-tax expenses). Most of her home sales are in the 300k to 600k range.

We have a 2008 Honda CR-Vand a 2009 Kia Sedona minivan. Not the most mustachian cars, but not typical 'impress your client' cars by any means.

Hard to say if she would attract more clients with a fancier car... We have  considered getting a used Audi or something along those lines (upscale car with AWD to connect with her outdoorsy oriented, but higher income professional client base), but never felt we could honestly justify it. She works her butt off for her clients though, so gets good word-of-mouth referrals. I think those referrals matter much more than the car she drives.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 04:24:43 AM »
As a family who has used realtors lately, we make fun of fancy realtor cars. Our realtor drives a beat up old minivan.

That said, obviously if I'm here, I am the exception.

I'd get a large sedan (Camry/accord/etc) that can fit 3 across the back nicely. Or else a similar sized SUV like a newer Suburu Outback. I haven't been in a brand new CRV, but my mom's is a few years old and the back seat is SMALL.

Or if you really need the space just get a minivan. Seriously though, the new camrys are huge.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
I'm sorry but your reputation isn't earned by what car you drive. Maybe lease a fancy car for a year if you really think it's going to help get you off the ground and then switch to a more reasonable vehicle.

People don't look at how many houses you've sold or great photos you've took and go, "wow, but that car is so nice".

Plenty of people do immediately judge someone's success by their material possessions, though. Probably not on this forum, but I suspect many people see a fancy car for a realtor and think "wow this person is a successful realtor" not "wow this person blows so much money on a car to impress people."

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:53 AM »
I'm sorry but your reputation isn't earned by what car you drive.

Sorry, but if your clients are shopping in the 200K to million dollar range, and showing up in high dollar rides, what you drive can be VERY important. Unless you come fully vetted, with glowing recommendations, if you come rolling in with something low brow like a Cruze, your going to be taken as seriously as a dead broke college student, not a professional. My realtor leases a new Grand Cherokee ever couple of years. His wife drives her clients around in a classic Jag four door. It doesn't do a thing for me, nor is he impressed, but he knows that a percentage of his clients are not going to have a favorable impression of him if he asked them to hop in the back of a clapped out minivan, or a Civic.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
I am not a realtor and no one cares about the car I drive (2009 Honda Civic by the way).  I totally understand that in some jobs - especially when you are starting out - image is important. 

A few of the previous posters have mentioned Camrys as an idea.  What about a Toyota Avalon?  It is a bit bigger than a Camry so maybe there is more legroom in the back for taking clients around.  I think a nice Camry or Honda Accord would be very respectable. 

By the way, the realtor I used when I bought my condo was an older guy who drove something like a Chrysler Le Baron or a New Yorker.  He was the best and really understood that no everyone is rolling in dough. I live in a very HCOLA and I found him very refreshing.  It was such a relief for me not to see a huge 5 series BMW when I met him.  He came highly recommended by a friend of mine and was my friend ever right.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
The last realtor we used had a Prius.

A Prius has a really nice amount of leg room in the back seat, and could impress people just as much as a "luxury" car if you happen to live in an area where people tend to care about the environment.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 09:17:44 AM »
I think a Prius is a good idea.

Another one might be to try to find an old Lexus in mint condition.  A friend of mine, very frugal, recently found a ten year old Lexus for really cheap.  The body style is understated enough that it would be difficult to tell what year it is (it looks basically new).

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »
I was a realtor in a previous life in an urban environment.  I bought a one year old Ford Taurus for cash.  Tauruses back then were kind of like Camry's today.

If you are in a very dense urban environment, I'd consider something super efficient and small like the bigger priuses.  People in the city don't mind small, cool cars.  Otherwise, I'd go with a used Camry or similar vehicle which gives you the flexibility to carry a family with a kid or two.  As long as it has a good paint job and is kept clean, you won't "unimpress" anyone.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »

Sorry, but if your clients are shopping in the 200K to million dollar range, and showing up in high dollar rides, what you drive can be VERY important. Unless you come fully vetted, with glowing recommendations, if you come rolling in with something low brow like a Cruze, your going to be taken as seriously as a dead broke college student, not a professional. My realtor leases a new Grand Cherokee ever couple of years. His wife drives her clients around in a classic Jag four door. It doesn't do a thing for me, nor is he impressed, but he knows that a percentage of his clients are not going to have a favorable impression of him if he asked them to hop in the back of a clapped out minivan, or a Civic.

I'm pretty sure you've never rode in any of these cars then. I happen to drive a fully loaded Cruze (can be had for ~$15k) and used to drive for a private driver service. I frequently picked up clients that lived in multi-million dollar homes that complimented how nice the interior of my car was.

Leather is leather. Sunroof is sunroof. Touch screen navigation is...you get it. If you want to overpay for all that stuff, be my guest. It's not necessary.

My point is/was, your car doesn't define who you are or what you're capable of. I understand that a car can be a good first impression on a superficial level, but totally unnecessary in the long run.

I can agree that a Camry or Accord may be a better choice just so you can make sure you have adequate leg/head room, but even a loaded one of those can be had for under $20k.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:48:06 PM by Ricky »

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 09:57:35 AM »
I vote for a clean silver Prius.  I see them a lot in fleets, and it could be a practical and memorable choice for a young realtor. 

My uber-successful realtor drove a Volkswagen sedan. 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »
I've debated this question a lot. 

Currently I drive a 2010 Nissan Sentra.  I keep it up very well so even though it's 5+ years old it still glints compared to other cars in the parking lot.  However, I've worked with largely millenials on the lower end of the price spectrum ($100K-$200K).  They drive cars similar to mine... older Accords, Mazdas, etc.  I don't feel the need to upgrade quite yet and when I do it'll likely be a Prius.

Real estate is one of those professions where it's all about image.  Since you're presumably driving clients around, one of their first contacts with you will be in your car.  Given your clientele are on the higher end, an older Lexus or luxury car may be worth it.  Not something brand new and/or financed, but used, older, yet still a little higher end. 

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
I would consider how well a car ages. My realtor had an expensive car, but the plastic was starting to look junky, and all the bells and whistles from 3 years ago look dated. I don't know anything about cars tho.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »
There are some very efficient hybrid luxury cars:
Lexus CT 200h - 43 mpg city
Lincoln MKZ hybrid - 41 mpg city
Lexus ES 300h - 40 mpg city
Acura ILX hybrid - 39 mpg city

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure you've never rode in any of these cars then. I happen to drive a fully loaded Cruze (can be had for ~$15k) and used to drive for a private driver service. I frequently picked up clients that lived in multi-million dollar homes that complimented how nice the interior of my car was.

LOL, this one is really flying over your head. Sorry, but complimenting you on the nice interior of your econobox is called "small talk". It doesn't however, mean in the slightest that you have impressed a client, or that they are heading to the Chevy dealer to get rid of the benz and step up to a GM econobox. It's simple, when you met a client who knows very little about you, they are going to judge by the little bit they can see. If you decide that you don't need to impress anybody, great. If you end up losing sales because of it, well that's your decision. Having the fantasy that it's not an issue to a percentage of your potential clients, is nothing but........................................... a fantasy.

EDIT:  Sorry but I glossed over the " I'm pretty sure you never drove a" Cruze. Well, funny that you bring that up. Last summer I replaced one of our cars that was lost to a hail storm. I was looking for a late model, inexpensive transportation appliance. I drove at least three, maybe four, Cruzes, all with low miles and under four years old. I really did want to like the car, they look attractive and they were priced right. The first hurtle in wanting one is that the market is FLOODED with Cruzes that are ex-daily rentals. In my area, it's the majority of what's out there, and there is no way in hell I'm going down that road. Second, when I drove the first one, I just assumed that it was a car that somebody managed to beat the life out of in a very short period of time. Rattles, vague steering, saggy, poor quality driver seat that felt like it was ten years old, it just felt tired. Unfortunately, the next two were the same. IMHE, the whole lot are epic shitboxes. I ended up buying a five year old Scion with twice the mileage of any Cruze I drove, and it's twice the quality. Tight, trouble free and feels new, not tired. I didn't know that they could be had with leather, but they could come with free gas also, and I would still pass.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:56:34 PM by paddedhat »

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
I think your attitude is reasonable.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
Straigh out of school and working my first job I figured I needed the young professional vehicle, so I traded off my tired Saturn and bought shiny new Chrysler Sebring convertible.

The day after that I had to go to a client meeting with my boss. I sat in the back of his old Corolla, touching knees with a client while he sat in the front grinding gears all the way to lunch. The conversation all the way there was about my new car (which we weren't in) and how they remembered back when their clothes and cars were all they had to build a name on, and how nice it was not to have to fake it anymore...

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 10:22:56 PM »
Toyota Camary or Honda Accord sedans are common amongst real estate agents in New Zealand. They look pretty nice as long as you keep them clean. You can probably get an ex-company lease car with high mileage but only a few years old.

If you wear a nice suit/tie and shave and have you hair tidy I'd personally have no problem listing my house through someone like that.

I wouldn't go for a BMW, Audi, M-Benz, etc as I personally feel these people aren't genuine.

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 11:35:11 PM »

LOL, this one is really flying over your head. Sorry, but complimenting you on the nice interior of your econobox is called "small talk". It doesn't however, mean in the slightest that you have impressed a client, or that they are heading to the Chevy dealer to get rid of the benz and step up to a GM econobox. It's simple, when you met a client who knows very little about you, they are going to judge by the little bit they can see. If you decide that you don't need to impress anybody, great. If you end up losing sales because of it, well that's your decision. Having the fantasy that it's not an issue to a percentage of your potential clients, is nothing but........................................... a fantasy.

EDIT:  Sorry but I glossed over the " I'm pretty sure you never drove a" Cruze. Well, funny that you bring that up. Last summer I replaced one of our cars that was lost to a hail storm. I was looking for a late model, inexpensive transportation appliance. I drove at least three, maybe four, Cruzes, all with low miles and under four years old. I really did want to like the car, they look attractive and they were priced right. The first hurtle in wanting one is that the market is FLOODED with Cruzes that are ex-daily rentals. In my area, it's the majority of what's out there, and there is no way in hell I'm going down that road. Second, when I drove the first one, I just assumed that it was a car that somebody managed to beat the life out of in a very short period of time. Rattles, vague steering, saggy, poor quality driver seat that felt like it was ten years old, it just felt tired. Unfortunately, the next two were the same. IMHE, the whole lot are epic shitboxes. I ended up buying a five year old Scion with twice the mileage of any Cruze I drove, and it's twice the quality. Tight, trouble free and feels new, not tired. I didn't know that they could be had with leather, but they could come with free gas also, and I would still pass.

I get it...because you say that you drove a few Cruzes - they suddenly are all shitboxes. *gasp* It's not possible for my car to be perfectly great with no rattles, tight steering, no mechanical issues in 80k miles, no saggy driver seat, doesn't feel "old and tired". I must rethink reality! I need to run to the nearest Benz dealer and trade in my econoshitinabox! I might not get there though since my POS car is prone to break down at any moment. Will you come pick me up in that Scion thats twice the quality of my econoshitinabox if I break down? I'll pay you 10% of whatever I get from the scrapyard for your trouble since no one in their right mind would possibly own a Cruze!

KBecks2

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 06:48:54 AM »
We love our now very old 2001 Acura TL sedan.  I would probably be looking for an Acura or Lexus that is 3 -5 years old and very clean.

Note, not a realtor.  I would look for something you like that is well kept and shiny.  Keep your car very clean for presentation.   

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 07:43:25 PM »
I get it...because you say that you drove a few Cruzes - they suddenly are all shitboxes.

I doubt that me driving a few Cruzes makes them all shitboxes. I pretty sure that relentless cost cutting, a general distain for the market segment, and lack of desire on GM's part to build a high quality economy car, are the larger issues at play. Remember these are the same folks that saved a few cents per unit on ignition switches on the previous generation of their POS econobox, and murdered well over 100 people as a result.

*gasp* It's not possible for my car to be perfectly great with no rattles, tight steering, no mechanical issues in 80k miles, no saggy driver seat, doesn't feel "old and tired".

Who knows? You may be an outlier, and have the only one with a driver's seat that doesn't feel like a bag of old lumpy rags after 80K miles.  As for your GM econobox not feeling old and tired well before a typical first tier Asian vehicle will?  Good luck with that.

I must rethink reality! I need to run to the nearest Benz dealer and trade in my econoshitinabox! I might not get there though since my POS car is prone to break down at any moment. Will you come pick me up in that Scion thats twice the quality of my econoshitinabox if I break down? I'll pay you 10% of whatever I get from the scrapyard for your trouble since no one in their right mind would possibly own a Cruze!

Whatever floats your boat, but when we are talking about similar amounts of cash for a used econobox, I'll take a quality product from a manufacturer with a stellar history of building durable, reliable products. Generally, when applying those metrics, GM doesn't make the cut.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:47:47 PM by paddedhat »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 02:23:30 AM »
Good suggestions except the CT 200h. Too small for carrying passengers comfortably. Not sure about the Acura either, but the middle two are good options.
As important as a nice car is the condition you keep it in, inside and out.

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
I think a Prius is a good idea.

Another one might be to try to find an old Lexus in mint condition.  A friend of mine, very frugal, recently found a ten year old Lexus for really cheap.  The body style is understated enough that it would be difficult to tell what year it is (it looks basically new).
[/quote

My mom just got rid of her 2005 Lexus and got a new one. I can barely tell them apart.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 09:17:31 AM »
Good suggestions except the CT 200h. Too small for carrying passengers comfortably. Not sure about the Acura either, but the middle two are good options.
As important as a nice car is the condition you keep it in, inside and out.
I agree, I was just giving some examples of luxury brand vehicles with good fuel economy numbers. The CT 200h has Prius underpinnings and the ILX hybrid is essentially an Acura-branded Civic hybrid, which explains the good numbers. The Lexus ES 300h is just an upscale Camry hybrid.