Author Topic: Mustachian Peace University  (Read 2609 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Mustachian Peace University
« on: July 22, 2017, 05:18:13 PM »
I've been leading a Financial Peace University class, and I'm going to keep leading it for many more years to come. So many people benefit so much from it. But as everyone here knows, the advice in FPU is kind of basic. Dave gets you on the right track, but then leaves you alone. My idea is to start another class that comes after FPU.

Here are some thoughts I'm kicking around. None of this is firm.

Name
It'd be great if we could have some kind of catchy name: FPU 201, Mustachian Peace University, etc. Obviously, I can't use either of those two ideas. Can you think of any better names?

Format
I think it would be round-table style open discussion. Everyone would do the required reading/homework before the class, then come to the class to discuss what we read and how to implement it in our lives. It could go any length of time, but right now I'm leaning toward one class a week for five weeks. Long enough to discuss some good stuff, but short enough we don't get burned out.

Content
Great discussions would include:
  • Early Retirement - Fact or Internet Legend?
  • How the Stock Market Works, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Passive Index Investing
  • Cut Expenses, Not Coupons (trimming housing, transportation, utilities, and food expenses)
  • Increase Income (need a fun name for this)
  • need more ideas

What do you think? Would people sign up for this?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:51:27 AM by solon »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Mustachian Peace University
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
I wish you well with this venture.

It's worth a try.

If you're in the USA, your local community college's continuing education department might be an inexpensive way to get this started.   They don't pay well, but you can get a bunch of advertising for free and after a few classes you might start getting referrals.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:56 AM »
I think that sounds like an awesome idea. I know a lot of pet who have gone through FPU that seem like they'd be interested in "something more."

Can you give me a bit more insight into teaching FPU? I've considered seeing if our church would let me lead it (my husband is a pastor), but I'm just not sure if they'd be into it, if our community would be into it, or if anyone would pay for it. My understanding is that even if it's being hosted through a church, each attendee has to pay $90+ to attend? Is that right? I have a hard time seeing that working out in our poverty-stricken area (small town in the rural south with a defunct, formerly-farming-and-industrial economy) so I suspect that my husband & I would have to pay both the leader fees and each attendee's fees (or at least a portion of them) out of our own pocket. Not sure how practical that is... but I've talked to a number of people who took the course with amazing results and I think it would be valuable in our area.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:08:37 AM »
I think that sounds like an awesome idea. I know a lot of pet who have gone through FPU that seem like they'd be interested in "something more."

Can you give me a bit more insight into teaching FPU? I've considered seeing if our church would let me lead it (my husband is a pastor), but I'm just not sure if they'd be into it, if our community would be into it, or if anyone would pay for it. My understanding is that even if it's being hosted through a church, each attendee has to pay $90+ to attend? Is that right? I have a hard time seeing that working out in our poverty-stricken area (small town in the rural south with a defunct, formerly-farming-and-industrial economy) so I suspect that my husband & I would have to pay both the leader fees and each attendee's fees (or at least a portion of them) out of our own pocket. Not sure how practical that is... but I've talked to a number of people who took the course with amazing results and I think it would be valuable in our area.

The member kit and lifetime membership is $93. This might seem a little steep, but most people get a huge amount of value from the course. Also, many people retake the course. Because people are constantly changing, they are in a slightly different place each time they take the course, so they take away different things each time they take it. You can retake the course for free as many times as you want.

The coordinator kit costs a little more. If this is to be a ministry of the church, then have the church pay the fee. Once you have the coordinator kit, you can lead the course as many times as you want for no additional cost.

It's up to you and the church if you want to cover the full fee for all members. I would caution against it though. The course is most effective for people who feel like they have some skin in the game. They feel like they have to get their money's worth out of it. We have given scholarships to some people in the past, and they just don't seem committed. And these scholarshipped people are really needy people who have the most to gain from the course. People that break my heart to see not follow though. It just seems like if they aren't willing to sacrifice to come up with the $93, then they also aren't willing to work on their finances. YMMV.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:39:47 AM »

The member kit and lifetime membership is $93. This might seem a little steep, but most people get a huge amount of value from the course. Also, many people retake the course. Because people are constantly changing, they are in a slightly different place each time they take the course, so they take away different things each time they take it. You can retake the course for free as many times as you want.

The coordinator kit costs a little more. If this is to be a ministry of the church, then have the church pay the fee. Once you have the coordinator kit, you can lead the course as many times as you want for no additional cost.

It's up to you and the church if you want to cover the full fee for all members. I would caution against it though. The course is most effective for people who feel like they have some skin in the game. They feel like they have to get their money's worth out of it. We have given scholarships to some people in the past, and they just don't seem committed. And these scholarshipped people are really needy people who have the most to gain from the course. People that break my heart to see not follow though. It just seems like if they aren't willing to sacrifice to come up with the $93, then they also aren't willing to work on their finances. YMMV.

That definitely makes sense. Maybe partial scholarships could be helpful, but you're probably right that it needs to at least cost something.

Is your class taught through a church or in another setting? I'm thinking most of our target audience would be community members... because the majority of our members are already elderly/retired. That's why I don't expect much financial support from our church... but if they'll let me use the church space and maybe a few people can volunteer to help with childcare, I'd be glad to pay for it in place of our regular tithing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!