Author Topic: Mustachian options for flavored coffee  (Read 4735 times)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
Mustachian options for flavored coffee
« on: May 04, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a weakness for flavored coffee. The nicest, in my opinion, is a local blend that involves pinon nuts and chocolate, but it's obscenely expensive. That, plus a bit of honey or raw sugar, is something I prefer over artificial "International Delight" type creamers (my second choice). Gevalia also makes some very nice blends, but the minimum order is far more coffee than I need and it also costs more than I want to pay.

Buying coffee in bulk is less than ideal for me: there's only one of me, I plan to drink only 1 to 2 full 8-oz. cups per day, and by the time I get to the bottom of a 1-gallon can, the grounds are going to be stale and nasty.

I do have access to the following resources:
* Drip coffee from the office coffee maker, Folger's, at 25 cents a cup
* A little 4-cup drip coffee maker I can have in my own office, where I could brew whatever I like
* A Keurig machine nearby that I can't quite bring myself to use because those little K-cups are so expensive
* Secure refrigeration (as in, my co-workers won't steal my stuff)

Two things I cannot do are: bring alcohol to the workplace, or travel any significant distance since my office is in a building that is a pain to get into and out of.

So, what is the best and most Mustachian way to enjoy a cup of flavored coffee at my desk?

Rachelocity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Mustachian options for flavored coffee
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
There are many types of flavoured coffee syrups, such as Da Vinci, that are what they would use at coffee shops if you get a "shot" of vanilla.  Prices vary depending on where you live, but TJ Maxx usually has a good selection for $5.99 a bottle.  This is enough for at least six weeks' worth of enjoyment, depending on how strong you like your flavouring.  You can also buy flavoured coffee at TJ Maxx, for about six bucks, and I store it in the freezer because I also live alone and this is my weekend treat.  Using your 4-cup unit, you can have the joy of fresh-brewed flavoured coffee any day you like.

I know coffee purists are cringing as the read the above paragraph, but I can buy a month's worth of coffee for a week's worth of K-cups, so I'm happy.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
You can use a drop or three of a baking extract in your coffee--I like almond extract and Mr. FP likes peppermint.

MMMaybe

• Bristles

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »
Do you have a nice grocery store in your area that roasts coffee in house? Ours lets us buy any amount of coffee by weight and will flavor it for free. It's Giant Eagle Market District, if you're in my part of the world, but it's becoming more and more common everywhere else too. I seldom go for flavored coffee anymore but it's nice to be able to buy 8oz or so of Irish Cream or Hazelnut coffee now and again.

The suggestion to get actual coffee syrups is a good one. We sometimes use Sundae syrup and that does a pretty good job if it's caramel you're after.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 08:07:36 PM »
I have liked the Trader Joe's coffees that they sell roughly September-December as "holiday" varieties because they have various spices mixed in. Nice aroma and taste and less artificial taste than many kinds. It won't be back for a few months but I bet one could make something similar by grinding spices in with your beans or mixing spices in with ground coffee. They also do a variety with chocolate that is year-round but I found that stained the dishes.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal

mveill1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 01:56:21 AM »
If you buy in bulk and freeze the grounds in mason-type glass jars they won't get nasty. I do it, and I know my coffee. Unless it's to do with flavouring. My favourite coffee flavour is "coffee" you see!

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:34:56 AM »
My suggestion for a mustachian single person's coffee solution would be to get an Aeropress:
http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-and-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK

For $30 you get a professional tasting one-shot cup that uses normal ground beans. It's quite foolproof to use and there's little maintenance.

For flavoured coffee suggestions, I can't stand the stuff :P sorry

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 10:02:59 AM »
What brilliant ideas! Thanks, everyone.

I believe I'll start with freezing the regular coffee, and just grind and add spices, with occasional forays into syrup and flavorings as needed. I'll have to make sure to use alcohol free flavoring, though, because of the restrictions at work. A little line of miniature vanilla and orange extract bottles will lead to questions, which is fine as long as it doesn't suggest I'm boozing at my desk.

It didn't occur to me, but I've got all kinds of spices at home that only get used occasionally. A few are probably reaching the end of their shelf life, and what better way to use up something that might otherwise be thrown out?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!