Author Topic: Mustachian Los Angeles Trip Tips?  (Read 2882 times)

dz1087

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Mustachian Los Angeles Trip Tips?
« on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
I'm thinking of taking the family to LA next month for the kids' spring break (7 and 14).  We took the older one to Disney World when she was around 7, so we are thinking of taking them to Disneyland (Not mustachian in any way, I know).

Otherwise, I was looking for some tips on things to do or see in the area.  It is looking like we would have about 2 free days there to just roam around and play tourist.  I'd love to see some of the movie-esqe things like Mullholland Drive, Venice/Santa Monica, Griffith Observatory, etc.  Maybe take the obligatory walk down Rodeo.  Generally stuff like that. 

Any of you LA Mustachios have any suggestions?  Also, how are the beaches there in late March - too cold to swim?

pk_aeryn

• Stubble
Re: Mustachian Los Angeles Trip Tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:52:12 PM »
Is Disneyland included in the 2 days?  That's an hour away from LA proper and you'll want to spend the whole day there for how much $$$ it is.

You could rent a car and fit all the LA things you mentioned but your day will be mostly driving. The observatory is great for kids, as well as Santa Monica pier.  Rodeo and Mullholand will likely be boring for them and they'll get tired of so much driving.  But if you do go to Rodeo, stop by the La Brea tar pits first.  That's super fun for kids and you can finish the whole thing in under 2 hours.  But totally unique to anything else in the world.  It's also next to LACMA and a car museum if your family likes those things.

Cheap eats: taco stands. Do it.  Super cheap super delicious Mexican food.  Go to hole in the wall, ethnic food places in LA. Cheap cheap but very good.

The ocean is very cold, even in summer. Just depends on how adventurous and crazy your kids are tho :)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:53:17 PM »
I'm up north a bit and we vacation in LA sometimes.

We enjoyed the LA Science Center, Manhattan beach, Santa Monica, Knott's Berry farm (but not if you are going to Disney!)

Getty Museum is cool.

We've never spent a week there, usually only 3-4 days.

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
+1 for the Getty Center. We spent some time at the Santa Monica Pier, a few days camping and wandering around Venture, and a day in Solvang. It was a cheap vacation.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:32 PM »
following - planning to take family to LA this summer and interested in affordable activities. -Ap

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:02 AM »
The LA County Museum was amazing, as was Watts Towers